Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '97 2.5l with the manual transmission. I am moving up to 31s and was wondering what the best gear ratio would be for a dd. I do most of my driving in town and on county roads going about 55-60mph. I occasionally hop on the freeway but not to often. Thanks guys!

·
Knows a couple things...
49,630 Posts
Your TJ came with 4.10/4.11 gearing which is still probably the best ratio for 31" tires. I'd wait until/if you get to 33" tires where it will be worth the $$$ to regear to 4.88 which is the optimal ratio for that combination. :)

·
Registered
864 Posts
I run that same setup, '97 2.5 5spd with 31s. The stock gearing is fine you may have to hold your shift points a little longer. 5th is slightly anemic in town but not enough to be a problem. I have no problem getting to ~70-80 on the interstate. You could go to 4.56 if you wanted but I'd wait till I wanted to go to 33s and hit 4.88 then. Regarding isn't cheap do it once. 31s are plenty driveable on stock gearing with that setup.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Iceman said:
I run that same setup, '97 2.5 5spd with 31s. The stock gearing is fine you may have to hold your shift points a little longer. 5th is slightly anemic in town but not enough to be a problem. I have no problem getting to ~70-80 on the interstate. You could go to 4.56 if you wanted but I'd wait till I wanted to go to 33s and hit 4.88 then. Regarding isn't cheap do it once. 31s are plenty driveable on stock gearing with that setup.
What are your rpms on the interstate?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts