Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,582 Posts
With the 3.8 you are going to want the biggest you can get in there. 4.88 for sure 5.13's or up would be better if you have 44's front and rear.

Reactions: Jab1719

·
Retired Moderator
100,578 Posts
:welcome: to the Forum..:wavey:

·
Registered
7,856 Posts
Welcome from Arizona.

·
Super Moderator
16,383 Posts
Yep, 4.88 or 5.13.... If you live at any altitude, or tow anything, choose the 5.13's. If you spend time on the freeway or live at low altitude, the 4.88's would be great.

Reactions: vcstandfill

·
Registered
74 Posts
2014 JK with 35" tires and trying to decide what gearing here also. 3.6L motor.

Dana 30 on the front and Dana 44 on the rear. Wondering if 5:13 would be overkill and if 4:88 is the way to go. Jeep is my daily driver. Mostly city driving, some freeway trips towing a pop-up (about 1000 pounds). Any input helpful.

·
Premium Member
9,582 Posts

Dana 30 on the front and Dana 44 on the rear. Wondering if 5:13 would be overkill and if 4:88 is the way to go. Jeep is my daily driver. Mostly city driving, some freeway trips towing a pop-up (about 1000 pounds). Any input helpful.
Manual 4.88, auto 4.56

·
Registered
203 Posts
We went with 4.88 on our 2011 2 door with the stock 32 inch tires. It is Sahara with the D30 up front and we locked it with the Eton Elocker. Perfect gear ratio for stock tires. I make 1100 mile trips at 70 to 80 mph multiple times a year. 20 plus mpg which is way better then the crappy 3.73s made! Anything bigger then stock 32 rubber, 5.38 is the only way to go. Swap out the 30 and go 5.38 or go home. Uninformed internet Aholes on here like to blow smoke up your Uranus! This is the 3.8 with the auto.

·
Registered
7,856 Posts
On a MT 3.6 I would go 4.88 on 35s and 5.13 on 37s (what I currently run)..

Reactions: vcstandfill

·
Super Moderator
16,383 Posts
<snip> Uninformed internet Aholes on here like to blow smoke up your Uranus! <snip>
I know, right? Nobody "on here" has ever built a Jeep, let alone hundreds of Jeeps.... :beerdrinking:

I am about to go 4.88's with a manual. 35's go on next week and gears get changed a week later. Going to suck it up for one week with the 3.21's.
You'll survive a week, then enjoy!

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
2007-11, I'd go 5.13's. 2012-18, I'd go with 4.88's.

·
Retired Moderator
100,578 Posts
I am about to go 4.88's with a manual. 35's go on next week and gears get changed a week later. Going to suck it up for one week with the 3.21's.
Welcome to the Forum.

·
Registered
84 Posts
On my ‘15 JKU Sport I went with 4.56 with 35” Nittos. Very happy with the results.

Also added ARB Lockers. Would have loved to go with Dana 44 up front but the budget didn’t allow.

Reactions: sipde

·
Registered
149 Posts
You just opened a giant-sized can of worms.

Got a 2015 JKU-R Hard Rock here. Dana-44s with lockers both ends, automatic and 4:1 transfer, axles are 4.10:1. Running BFG KO2s, 35x12.5. In my opinion, this is the perfect set up. Got better than 20 MPG pulling a 900 pound expedition trailer through West Texas, New Mexico, Colorado and Wyoming. No trouble maintaining speed on the flat freeways. Downshifted for hills, but what would you expect?

My opinion, MAYBE 4.56:1...... if I was towing a trailer over 1200 pounds or so. I admit the KO2s measure more like 34", maybe that is why the 4.10 works for me.

My Hard Rock is not a daily driver, it is our get-away toy. That said and even so, we still put more highways getting to places than we do on the trails. You will need to really consider just what you want it to do. Were I pulling my JEEP on a trailer, I would probably lean to other ratios that aren't conducive to highway travel. But that is the position I live in.

Educate yourself, GOOGLE: jeep jk axle ratio tire chart. Get familiar with it. Then you'll be armed with a bit of knowledge as well as plenty of opinions. In the end, it is your $$$$$, your JEEP, and your situation. I wish you the best of luck in your decision.

Mike - 5, El Paso, Texas. (Home of Fort Bliss).

·
Registered
615 Posts
You're going to get a lot of different opinions on this and like a lot of things it boils down to what you're trying to solve for, the type of environment you're driving in, your tolerance for bogging the engine, etc.

For me with a '17 rolling on 315s and a lot of weight (big bumpers, winch, camping gear, etc) I cannot imagine going much lower (numerically) than 4.88 on a manual (which is what I'm running). It feels adequate to me and very drivable around town.

I will say that for a while I ran it on 33's and it seemed to me to be over-geared (too much RPM on the highway) but it sure felt peppy compared to the 315s!. I usually drive in the slower lanes and have to downshift from 6th to 5th while climbing hills on the highway. I try to stay under 70mph to save on gas (and wear and tear on the engine). To me it seems like a good compromise but I'm definitely reminded of how gutless this engine is with all this weight when climbing a big hill loaded down! I can't imagine trying to do it with 4.10s and pulling a trailer!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Wow, are you going to get a lot of opinions. I've got a 2016 JKUR w/ 35s. Is it Auto or Manual. I'm betting Auto, as is mine, and comments are based on that. I'm going 4.56 on Dana 44s front and back. It sounds like your use is more off-road, not rock climbing. So the lower end of these options is better for you. So, I'm thinking 4.56 or 4.88 fits your power band better than the higher gears that a lot of people will insist are 'best'. Your use will drive your decision.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts