Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
for DIY grille mesh. I've used several types, including 2 part glues and they don't hold up for installing gutter guard mesh on the grille. Haven't used Gorilla glue yet but read where it needs to be clamped for 30 minutes which sounds like a chore. Anyone use Crazy glue?

·
Registered
54 Posts
I hear you on that. I used some JB weld 2-part epoxy but it doesn't stick very well to the smooth plastic on the backside of the grill. I've had to redo a couple a few times. I'm going to try some shoe-goo next. That stuff always worked well when I mounted receivers in my R/C trucks. I think the trick also is to not put too much tension on the tie-wrap blocks with the mesh resulting in the blocks being pulled away from the plastic.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I used gorilla glue and let it sit overnight. I only had 1 come off when I putting the mesh in. Other than that I've had them on for a couple months and no problems yet.

·
Build Thread Queen
13,193 Posts
Mike found E6000 and it bonds REALLY well to plastic. We both have the rugged ridge insert, so we didn't have to use the wrap mounts. I can't review it in that context. But everything else plastic we've glued with it has stuck!

·
Registered
851 Posts
Just using glue seemed like a chore to me. I used the peel and stick method and everything is still holding.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I used a 2 part plastic epoxy (jb weld/loctite, don't remember which). Make sure you remove the 2 sided tape from the mounting tabs first & clean them good. I used a thinner to get all the glue off + alcohol before I put the epoxy on them. Also make sure the inside of the grille is thoroughly cleaned. It helps to rough up the spots that where the mounting tabs will go with sandpaper before cleaning.

I had originally used only the 2 sided tape & it held up Ok for a short time. But the during the hot summer days, they kept popping off. Needed a more permanent solution & the 2 part plastic epoxy has done it's job well.

·
Premium Member
2,826 Posts
I wonder why nobody has tried a $5 hot glue gun from Hobby Lobby. Instantly sticks like heck to plastic and you do not have to wait more than about three seconds for it to be put into service. In fact you wouldn't have to use those clips at all you could hot glue some thin stainless wire to the grill then just hook through the gutter guard and put a small twist in the wire. Just asking, I'm going to try it when I get around to that particular project.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I wonder why nobody has tried a $5 hot glue gun from Hobby Lobby. Instantly sticks like heck to plastic and you do not have to wait more than about three seconds for it to be put into service. In fact you wouldn't have to use those clips at all you could hot glue some thin stainless wire to the grill then just hook through the gutter guard and put a small twist in the wire. Just asking, I'm going to try it when I get around to that particular project.
Jeep guys don't go to Hobby Lobby, lol!

·
Build Thread Queen
13,193 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
I used the Gorilla Glue and let it sit over night, they were not kidding when they say use a small amount. I came back to see how it dried, and it had expanded and covered the entire clip so I couldn't get the zip ties thru. Had to redo the clips ending up with about 50 clips inside, lucky its on the back and no one will ever see my screw up.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts