Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got a 2013 Sahara Unlimited, looking for the best wait to hoist off the hard top in my garage. I have a 10 feet ceiling, and would like to store the top as close to the ceiling as possible. Please advise, thanks.

·
Registered
898 Posts
If you look in places like QuadraTec you will see several different hoist systems available. I am currently building my own figuring it sill save me a more than a few bucks. If you google Jeep hoist in google images there are several DIYs on there.

·
Premium Member
3,646 Posts
Plenty of threads already about this one, Harken seems to be one of the top choices.

·
Registered
2,253 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
If you have any mechanical ability our engineering mind, build your own. Easiest way to customize per your needs. All parts for mine cost about $60 and one evening up and down the ladder.

·
i'm back
13,706 Posts
If you have any mechanical ability our engineering mind, build your own. Easiest way to customize per your needs. All parts for mine cost about $60 and one evening up and down the ladder.
yep... or buy a kayak hoist.. it'll easily get the job done!

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the suggestions, looks like I wi just go ahead and try the harken hoist.

·
i'm back
13,706 Posts

·
i'm back
13,706 Posts
Kayak hoist only rated at 120 lbs. For $60.00. Pretty sure top weights more than that.
yeah, i wouldn't leave it strapped to the roof, but it will get the roof off and you can store it in your garage.

i think the ratings are associated with the fasteners and the straps. you could always go to home depot or lowes and buy better fasteners for the ceiling and stronger ratchet straps.

my buddy has one set up like this.... works like a charm.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Two of these:
16' x 1-1/4" x 400 lbs. Cam Buckle Tie Down-85145 at The Home Depot

+ four 5/16" Eye lag bolts = ~$25

The eye bolts go directly in the joists (mine just happen to line up almost perfectly). You could always use a 2x6 as a cross beam in case your joists aren't lined up conveniently.

I run the straps through the back window, around the roll bars, and out the back door (one for each side). Run the straps through the buckles and pull each side a few inches at a time until it's clear. Lowering is pretty easy, too. Just ease on the release button and feed the strap back through.

Edit: Also got some pipe insulation to wrap the straps where it contacts the rubber seals.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Two of these:
16' x 1-1/4" x 400 lbs. Cam Buckle Tie Down-85145 at The Home Depot

+ four 5/16" Eye lag bolts = ~$25

The eye bolts go directly in the joists (mine just happen to line up almost perfectly). You could always use a 2x6 as a cross beam in case your joists aren't lined up conveniently.

I run the straps through the back window, around the roll bars, and out the back door (one for each side). Run the straps through the buckles and pull each side a few inches at a time until it's clear. Lowering is pretty easy, too. Just ease on the release button and feed the strap back through.

Edit: Also got some pipe insulation to wrap the straps where it contacts the rubber seals.
How do you "ease" on the release without it sliding through fast and slamming down. This was my problem with ratchet straps. Whenever I tried to unlock the strap and lower the top it would slide through quickly and my heart would beat out of my chest as I tried to control the weight of the top through one strap. Not fun.

·
Registered
159 Posts
How do you "ease" on the release without it sliding through fast and slamming down. This was my problem with ratchet straps. Whenever I tried to unlock the strap and lower the top it would slide through quickly and my heart would beat out of my chest as I tried to control the weight of the top through one strap. Not fun.
If I am thinking correctly, ratchet straps actually have a release that's either locked of not. Basically it's like flicking a switch to loose things (could be very wrong, but I never use those). With the cam buckle, you apply pressure to the sping release button. Just make sure you have tension on the strap (other hand) so that you can tell when it starts to feed. So it's kind of like a using a rope for repelling down a rock wall. The moment you release the button it locks the strap again. I may take a video of us using it next time, because it's really hard to describe without seeing it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just looked at the video for the Harken Hoister, anyone know how much these systems run for a 12ft ceiling?

Update: Forget I asked... I missed the obvious "shop online" link in my own link before posting this

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
lange hoist

If you have the money get the Lange motorized winch/hoist. Once installed it is a breeze, my wife could even take the top off if she needed to.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have the motorized Lange. Works great. My carport is low, so I have to back in to park in the carport, so I basically slid in under the top.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
How close to the ceiling can you pull the top to with the Lange lift? Due to the layout of my garage, I really need to be able to get my top within 18" or so of the ceiling, closer if possible. This will allow me to drive my Jeep under the top without any chance of hitting the top.

·
Registered
601 Posts
yacc,
I have the manual Lange lift with the hand crank. The units can get the hardtop pretty close to the ceiling (mine is 10 foot hight), however, unless you get the motor version or the hand crank version, you won't be able to lower the top all the way to the ground (due to the length of the wire cable used for lifting).

1 - 20 of 43 Posts