Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the Curt hitch, with a tongue weight of 350 lbs, the best I can buy for my 1990 2.5 YJ? Buying a carrier and want to be sure I get the best I can.

Thanks,
Ken

·
Los Angeles
1993 Wrangler YJ 4.0
2,126 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will bet that hitch is not tow rated and will have a "recovery point only" sticker on it voiding any type of liability in a tow accident.

I was surprised that my warn bumper had such a sticker.
Thanks guys. No tongue weight listed on that one.

·
Premium Member
'89 YJ 4.2 with MC-2150 Carb & HEI, 2-1/2" Ex. AX-15, NP231 SYE, Adams shafts, F&R ARB, 3
4,435 Posts
Is the Curt hitch, with a tongue weight of 350 lbs, the best I can buy for my 1990 2.5 YJ? Buying a carrier and want to be sure I get the best I can.

Thanks,
Ken
The problem I see with any of the rear bumpers is that there is no place to mount them besides the what I would call "Cheesy Channel" Steel rear cross member across the back. not really connected to the Solid steel frame. Without some sturdy backing plates to bolt to I've caught the hitch and "adjusted" that cross member a couple times already. Leads me to agree with others that YJ's werent made to tow much more than a small lawnmower or a Jet ski.

But that Curt is a good hitch. If you lived closer I'd give you the one under my work bench. I've since gone to the Smittybuilt Classic rear bumper for it's higher mounting and Departure angle.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The problem I see with any of the rear bumpers is that there is no place to mount them besides the what I would call "Cheesy Channel" Steel rear cross member across the back. not really connected to the Solid steel frame. Without some sturdy backing plates to bolt to I've caught the hitch and "adjusted" that cross member a couple times already. Leads me to agree with others that YJ's werent made to tow much more than a small lawnmower or a Jet ski.

But that Curt is a good hitch. If you lived closer I'd give you the one under my work bench. I've since gone to the Smittybuilt Classic rear bumper for it's higher mounting and Departure angle.
Thanks everyone. I'm buying a cargo hauler but won't exceed the 300 lb tongue weight limit and bought the Curt hitch. In fact I'll be sure it's way under that limit.

·
Super Moderator
13,331 Posts
The towing capacity of a YJ is 2000#. Without electric brakes on the trailer and a brake controller on the Jeep, I wouldn't want to tow half that weight. I still discourage towing up to the weight limit even with the trailer brakes.
The length of any trailer comes into play too. The longer the trailer, the more leverage it has to steer the tow vehicle. This is compounded by the short wheelbase of the YJ.
Your 2.5 already struggles without a trailer. I suggest adding a full sized pickup to your fleet if you plan on towing a cargo trailer.

Good Luck, L.M.

Reactions: Sonny S
1 - 8 of 8 Posts