Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I was wondering if there is a better hydraulic jack out there for changing a flat tire than the bottle jack that comes with the jeep. I have a 1999 sahara (stock for now) with 30x 9.50 on 15" wheels. Also I'm getting (dedicated)winter tires this weekend and will probably get a set of blizzak dmv1, but does anyone here run the lower priced firestone winterforce and if so how are they on rain and ice? The jeep will be used mostly to commute to work on snow days, 22 miles roundtrip highway in Connecticut. Thanks in advance for your replies . Oh one more question, what is the equivalent tire size for the 30x9.50.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Firestone winterforce work great in the rain, etc. I know quite a few people who run them year round here in PA. 235-75X15 will match the 30x9.50

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
i am relatively new to the TJ world, i have the Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armors on my Sahara (30 x 9.5 on 15" Canyon wheels) and they did great in last weeks snow storm and I have heard a lot of other great reviews for these tires in snow, ice, and rain.

I'm also in CT....hope we have a 2012-2013 winter just like 2011-2012!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. I'll be looking at the silent armor as soon as I finish this post. I love the way those winterforce tires look with siping everywhere but I want to make sure I'm not under gunned this winter.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just called the tire shop for my winter tires and they are telling me the equivalent size to my 30x9.50 is 265/75r15. Everybody else tells me it is 235/75r15. I ordered the winterforce studded tires but haven't paid yet, so are they just selling me a bigger tire cause its more expensive? I'm confused.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I'm seeing specs for the winterforce 235 at 28.9", the 265 at 30.7", and new 30x9.50's run from 29.4"-29.7". If the cost is compareable I'd go with the bigger ones to gain the extra clearance.

·
Registered
8,402 Posts
As far as bottlejacks, the ones from HF works well for the money. I have a 20ton one that I have had for about 10 years and has not crapped out yet using it on a 1 ton dually.

Bottle Jack - Harbor Freight Tools

1 - 9 of 9 Posts