Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to be able to change my fuel/power curve. Possibly better gas mileage.

Super chips? Diablo Tune? Bully Dog?

Are there any others?

Thank Jeepers!

·
Registered
456 Posts
You are going to see about the same amount of power from any of them. They make power by advancing the ignition timing and you get more timing with the higher octane fuels. You are only going to get so much advance on a given grade of fuel and you will have to standardize on the higher grade to get anything noticeable. I doubt the 86 octane tunes advance your timing much more than 2-3 degrees, if even that much.

My unconfirmed suspicion is that the "high mileage" tunes may bump ignition timing even further than a "performance" tune does at the expense of loosing a little HP when you romp on the throttle and trigger long term spark retard.

I would recommend that you get one which can set all of the jeep specific bits, like TPMS on and off, TPMS threshold, tire size, sway bar disco etc.

Also look for one that allows you to tweak your WOT fuel and spark so that you can tailor your own tune to your driving and fuel grade.

I have the Trinity and it allows me to tweak the following on top of the tune that is loaded:

You can go 20% rich or lean
WOT Fuel 1k-3.8k rpm
WOT Fuel 4k-4.8k rpm
WOT Fuel 5k-7k rpm

You can advance or retard the ignition timing 10 degrees in either direction
WOT Spark 1k-3.8k rpm
WOT Spark 4k-4.8k rpm
WOT Spark 5k-7k rpm

I am also using BOTH of the analog inputs. I am using one for Wideband O2 and the other to pull in the water/methanol flow signal from the aux windshield washer nozzles.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts