Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've read through majority of the lift kit review thread, but I couldn't come to a solid conclusion of which is best. I would like to eventually run 35's comfortably both on and off road. Budget is not much of an issue because I will be saving for a long time anyways :)

Can someone give me some recommendation for a good flexing kit, that has stable on road driving and is pretty complete (meaning I wouldn't need to buy A LOT extra)?

I realize im asking for the "perfect lift kit" but if someone with personal experience with a kit just talk to me about it. Pros and cons and price.

Thank you in advance forum! :) :wavey:

·
Registered
613 Posts
other then the lift to fit the 35s, what are you planning on buying? running 35s isnt as simple as fitting them.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lbailey21 said:
other then the lift to fit the 35s, what are you planning on buying? running 35s isnt as simple as fitting them.
Oh I know that, there is a lot that needs to be done in order to handle them. Like stronger axels, re-gearing, ect. There is no way I can do it all anytime soon. I'm just planning ahead and doing my research so I know what I will be buying exactly and slowly fab my jeep accordingly so everything is smooth at the end. I'm trying to get a finished project in mind and work up to it. You know what I'm sayin?

I just like to have a plan :)

·
Super Moderator
62,805 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
IndyJeepMan said:
If your building for 35"s I take it youre going to wheel the heck out of it right?
By the time I have my jeep running on 35's I will hopefully be out my parents house and living someplace to take it out often! It will still probably remain a daily driver, but it will also see plenty off road use as well.

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
There's a hell of a lot more to 35's than just fitting them, which is just a fraction of the total cost. Steering, brakes, armor, gearing, locking diffs, axles, drivetrain, and durable suspension parts.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Imped said:
There's a hell of a lot more to 35's than just fitting them, which is just a fraction of the total cost. Steering, brakes, armor, gearing, locking diffs, axles, drivetrain, and durable suspension parts.
Believe me, I am fully aware of the total overhaul I am going to have to do. But I love working on my jeep and I wont mind taking a few years to build it up. This is why I am asking everyone now what lift is the best for this kind of rig so I can slowly begin building my jeep to be ready for it all

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
Believe me, I am fully aware of the total overhaul I am going to have to do. But I love working on my jeep and I wont mind taking a few years to build it up. This is why I am asking everyone now what lift is the best for this kind of rig so I can slowly begin building my jeep to be ready for it all
Then I suggest not asking that question and instead view the suspension in a different way. There's more to it than "lift".....up travel, down travel, belly clearance, squat characteristics, roll center height, etc. Street queen trucks run "lift kits." A lot more matters than that in a Jeep that you want to actually perform.

Savvy Offroad

http://www.currieenterprises.com/cestore/default_jeep.aspx

Poly Performance JEEP/TRUCK & BUGGY - 4X4 Off-Road Parts, JK Synergy Suspension Systems, Fox Racing Shox, Beard, CNC Brakes, Johnny Joints®, Currie Enterprises, Edelbrock, Pit Bull Tires, Ramsey Winch, ARB, Walker Evans, Wilwood, Mastercraft, VIAIR,

There you go.

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
All roads (or is it, off roads :)) lead to Currie.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Imped said:
Then I suggest not asking that question and instead view the suspension in a different way. There's more to it than "lift".....up travel, down travel, belly clearance, squat characteristics, roll center height, etc. Street queen trucks run "lift kits." A lot more matters than that in a Jeep that you want to actually perform.

Savvy Offroad

http://www.currieenterprises.com/cestore/default_jeep.aspx

Poly Performance JEEP/TRUCK & BUGGY - 4X4 Off-Road Parts, JK Synergy Suspension Systems, Fox Racing Shox, Beard, CNC Brakes, Johnny Joints®, Currie Enterprises, Edelbrock, Pit Bull Tires, Ramsey Winch, ARB, Walker Evans, Wilwood, Mastercraft, VIAIR,

There you go.
Thank you, and thank you for correcting my phrasing. I realize now why I was getting the responses I was. My apologies.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Cam0143 said:
Thank you, and thank you for correcting my phrasing. I realize now why I was getting the responses I was. My apologies.
Dont sweat it, there is a ton of fog that hinders alot of people from seeing the big picture, just gotta stop looking at a manufacturers name and look at what they make, and if it works for you. There can be alot of poor products and such, there are also tons of sites, posts, and forums to do a lot of research.

Most companies that have huge names, tons of magazine postings and ad's are usually* garbage.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
IndyJeepMan said:
Dont sweat it, there is a ton of fog that hinders alot of people from seeing the big picture, just gotta stop looking at a manufacturers name and look at what they make, and if it works for you. There can be alot of poor products and such, there are also tons of sites, posts, and forums to do a lot of research.

Most companies that have huge names, tons of magazine postings and ad's are usually* garbage.
That's what I've been starting to do, read into a product for what it is rather than the brand name. I'm thinking of doing a ford 8.8 swap when I find one. That should handle 35's down the road right? And what about the front axel? Anything cheap and strong like the 8.8? Ill worry about regearing when I get everything else done first, before the tires go on.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Cam0143 said:
That's what I've been starting to do, read into a product for what it is rather than the brand name. I'm thinking of doing a ford 8.8 swap when I find one. That should handle 35's down the road right? And what about the front axel? Anything cheap and strong like the 8.8? Ill worry about regearing when I get everything else done first, before the tires go on.
The ford 8.8 will turn 35's easily and for the front you most likely have a Dana 30 which if you throw some chromoly axle shafts in it, then that will also turn 35's without a problem.

·
Motorized toy collector
3,763 Posts
I started a pile of needed parts behind my Jeep in the garage. Axle, shafts, locker, pump, gears, springs, CAs, SYE, brakes, TT, etc. etc. etc. I would buy a few items a month, and add to the pile. The pile became so big, I was having a hard time getting around the Jeep. It was over 10 months later before I thought I had everything needed to start the build......and I didn't even have the 35" tires yet. When I finally started to tear the Jeep apart, it was in my buddy's shop. We would only be able to work on it one day off a week, if we wanted to sustain our happy marriages. It was in the shop over 2 months before I drove it out. During this time, of course I needed to buy some more stuff that I needed to make it all work. Added to that, some of the stuff I bought turned out not to be the best stuff. (I went cheap on the adjustable control arms...big mistake.) I will be going back in to swap those out in the spring.

I am not trying to talk you out of going to 35"+ tires, just point out that there is a heck of a lot more involved, if you want it done right, from when I installed a mild lift and 33's years ago.

To make a long story short: Save, research, and don't cheap out on the important stuff.

....and.................Savvy/Currie/Rokman.

Good luck with your project.:thumb:

·
Registered
813 Posts
TJDave said:
I started a pile of needed parts behind my Jeep in the garage. Axle, shafts, locker, pump, gears, springs, CAs, SYE, brakes, TT, etc. etc. etc. I would buy a few items a month, and add to the pile. The pile became so big, I was having a hard time getting around the Jeep. It was over 10 months later before I thought I had everything needed to start the build......and I didn't even have the 35" tires yet. When I finally started to tear the Jeep apart, it was in my buddy's shop. We would only be able to work on it one day off a week, if we wanted to sustain our happy marriages. It was in the shop over 2 months before I drove it out. During this time, of course I needed to buy some more stuff that I needed to make it all work. Added to that, some of the stuff I bought turned out not to be the best stuff. (I went cheap on the adjustable control arms...big mistake.) I will be going back in to swap those out in the spring.

I am not trying to talk you out of going to 35"+ tires, just point out that there is a heck of a lot more involved, if you want it done right, from when I installed a mild lift and 33's years ago.

To make a long story short: Save, research, and don't cheap out on the important stuff.

x2 Aftermarket Jeep parts (along with many other things) you get what to pay for. You buy cheap parts, you get cheap quality. TJDave pretty much nailed it with Savvy, Currie, and Rokmen. All 3 are VERY respected companies when it comes to suspension and other parts. Undercoverfab, Poison Spyder, T&T Customs, and Metalcloak also are great places to look for skids and armor. I'm sure I'm forgetting a few brands but those are very reputable.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
TJDave said:

If you or someone could somehow compile a complete list of parts I would need to buy (over time) so I could have like a "checklist"? I know that's a lot to ask.. I would like a list of parts and suggested brands, specific products.

I do want to do this right and have everything function properly. That's why I want to take my time, get good stuff and I believe I will have one hell of a rig when alls done :)

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
The HP D30 is a fairly well respected front axle for use with 35s, provided you don't need it to be geared lower than 4.88.

·
Motorized toy collector
3,763 Posts
If you or someone could somehow compile a complete list of parts I would need to buy (over time) so I could have like a "checklist"? I know that's a lot to ask.. I would like a list of parts and suggested brands, specific products.

I do want to do this right and have everything function properly. That's why I want to take my time, get good stuff and I believe I will have one hell of a rig when alls done :)
:thumb: That is a good plan. I'm getting ready to head out for night shift. If there is not a checklist started for you by tomorrow, I'll check my parts receipt file in the AM and see if I can start one.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts