Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2013 rubicon, flatlander, drive almost daily, what are pros and cons of terra flex 3.5 lift for $2800 versus Jeep dealer mopar lift for $4900? don't want to compromise the rubicon features like axle lock or sway bar, or its performance. need some guidance on which way to go?? other ideas? THANKS

·
Registered
558 Posts
My dealer charged me $3000 for the dealer Mopar Teraflex 3.5" lift including installation. There are many threads that discuss the warranty discussion around the Mopar lift.

·
Registered
5,701 Posts
If you are willing to spend $4900K on just the lift kit you can get one the best: RK and MC for articulation or AEV for handling and high speed dynamics.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm thinking i would like to run 35-12.5 tires, moderate tread for highway and limited mud. really looking for more of the cosmetic look since it won't be off road much at all. concerned that the 2.5 lift by teraflex is too puny??

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
New fenders and no lift would be a lot cheaper.

Flat fenders and no lift will work, or the new Mopar Hightop fenders, which fit 35" tires with no lift.
You'll need to trim the front bottom corner, at the rear fender opening, if you plan to get it twisted all the way.

Here is a shot of the Hightop Fenders, with Cooper S/T Maxx 315/70R 17 no lift. Rear is a little high, as the spare isn't mounted.
Had it twisted up tight, and just a very slight rub against the inner fender liner, and 10A rock rails.

MCE has a nice rendition that look similar but more spartan, and there are all kinds of flat fender options to choose from. All of these are around $700 and a few hours work at home with some very basic tools, that can be purchased local.

Attachments

·
Registered
657 Posts
I'm thinking i would like to run 35-12.5 tires, moderate tread for highway and limited mud. really looking for more of the cosmetic look since it won't be off road much at all. concerned that the 2.5 lift by teraflex is too puny??
35" tires, limited off-road, mostly cosmetic?

I'd go 2.5" TF budget boost kit with AEV control arm lowering brackets. Get the look and correct the geometry without breaking the bank.

Add tires and wheels with 4.5" back spacing and away you go. Get the Teraflex heavy duty tire carrier hinge. Oh and recal with a ProCal unit to tell the computer you have taller tires.

Expect lower fuel economy and longer stopping distances.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I went for the terraflex 3" lift with 8 arms (with 35"s). I was just going to go the 4 arm kit, but I got such a good price from my jeep dealer I went the 8.

We've just got back from Moab and it's awesome - did everything I asked of it (including Hell's revenge) without rubbing or bottoming out! I stuck with 3" lift as a trade off for a daily driver and fuel consumption (and the wife & kids being able to get in the jeep!). A good driver with 3" will out do a bad one with 4" any day.

As N1as suggested, I also recommend the terraflex tyre carrier & installed it myself to save a few $$. As for fuel economy, I got a Superchips Flaspaq (the one that can re-tune) & my fuel economy has improved!

Don't go too 'sedate' with your tire tread choice - it'll ruin the look.

·
Registered
694 Posts
really cosmetics, limited off road, thinking a 35-12.5 tire? but i think the 2.5 teraflex lift isn't significant enough to get the right look?
2 door or 4? A 2.5" lift on a 2door looks just right with 35's, but on a 4door not so much. On a 4door if you are going for "look" then you'll need at least a 3" lift, some flat fenders and some 38's. Just my two cents.

·
Premium Member
1,142 Posts
We've just got back from Moab and it's awesome - did everything I asked of it (including Hell's revenge) without rubbing or bottoming out! I stuck with 3" lift as a trade off for a daily driver and fuel consumption (and the wife & kids being able to get in the jeep!). A good driver with 3" will out do a bad one with 4" any day.
A good driver in a stock Jeep will outdo a bad one with 4" lift almost every time :)

·
Retired Mod
11,135 Posts
2013 rubicon, flatlander, drive almost daily, what are pros and cons of terra flex 3.5 lift for $2800 versus Jeep dealer mopar lift for $4900? don't want to compromise the rubicon features like axle lock or sway bar, or its performance. need some guidance on which way to go?? other ideas? THANKS
really cosmetics, limited off road, thinking a 35-12.5 tire? but i think the 2.5 teraflex lift isn't significant enough to get the right look?
I say leave you Jeep exactly the way it is (stock).

·
Super Moderator
14,559 Posts
Just for looks and 35's but willing to spend some $$$... OK.

For what you are going to do with it, a Rough Country 2.5 spacer kit would do fine...

But, it's your Jeep and you should build it the way you want, I suggest:

Put on the Metalcloak Overland Elite 3.5 with their new RockSport shocks and don't look back.

METALCLOAK

JK RockSport Long Travel Shock, Front
Rocksport Long Travel Shocks for the JK Wrangler - an Exclusive Product from Metalcloak

Premium all the way for just over $1500 and awesome road manners. And works perfectly with all your Rubicon goodies.

·
Registered
411 Posts
As always, many people here, and many different opinions. Not sure how a 2.5" lift looks much different than a 3" lift? ;)

Here is my 2014 Sahara JKU with the RC 2.5" budget boost, with 315/70-17 Cooper STT tires, measure 34" tall mounted.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,822 Posts
White = 3.5 RK X factor + 35" (34.5") measured on 2015 JKUR just for your reference for looks. (waiting on bumpers which will provide a great deal more clearance)

the blue one is a 2.5 TF lift with 33" (32) measured.

Both set-ups are excellent off road but obviously the 3.5 and 35s provide much better break over. Both track up the highway as if they were on auto pilot. The 3.5 was a necessity for us and not for looks, but it does look balanced and natural.

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts