Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in search of about a 2 or 2.5 inch suspension lift, i have a 1999 tj with 31x11.5" mud terrains and I just need to get it a little higher so that it wont hit the fender flares. I can only spend about $500.00 and the jeep needs new shocks on it so I need a kit with shocks.. there are so many different choices and i'm not sure which to go with because one 2" lift kit might be 200$ and the next one i come across is 1000$?? its left me clueless and i have no idea what lift kit to go with :facepalm: any and all feedback is greatly appericiated. (and if you read this and are thinking this guy is an idiot there is a whole thread just about lifts!.. i realize that and have already looked through it, i'm just looking for the best and quickest answers) Thanks!

·
Registered
440 Posts
Well Quality lifts are not cheap, quick or easy. The quickest lift is not going to give you the best lift. The first thing everybody wants to do is put the most lift with the biggest tires they can find on their jeep and dont think about the changes that occur in the suspension geometry or strain on drivetrain components. That is why you get a lot of people telling you to read up on lifts.

Now with that being said. I would look at what you want in the long run. If you are planning on going bigger then maybe a budget boost with good shocks or no lift for now and saving up money is the best solution. If that is where you are going to call it quits then I would go with a higher quality coil lift. Savvy Offroad with adjustable control arms would be awesome setup but not cheap either. Just try to think about the long run a little bit too so you dont end up doing the same thing over and over again. That is my personal opinion.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Bds had a 2" lift with shocks for 400, zone has a 3" lift with shocks for 450, there are plenty of BB's out there. Honestly if I had to do it again I'd just save for metalcloak arch fenders. Then get a lift kit. Just my opinion!

·
Registered
643 Posts
The BDS 2in lift is a quality piece. :thumb:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The jeep has 32x11.5" mud terrain tires on it and i am looking to only spend about $500 on the lift. i dont want a lot of lift, just enough to keep it from rubbing on the fender flares. about 2 or 2.5 inches of lift would do the job.

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
You could just do a BB and trim your flares up a little bit if you just want it not to rub. If you want increased offroad performance, the previous posts have good ideas.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
1inch body lift and 1inch MML will clear those tires, are you sure you need new shocks? Better off saving your pennies until you can afford a lift worth keeping.

·
Premium Member
1,344 Posts
I say go with Rough country They have made great improvement in the last few years I have there 4" x series and love it

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
I say go with Rough country They have made great improvement in the last few years I have there 4" x series and love it
He has a different jeep... 4" of lift on his TJ = major $$$ to do it even close to right.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
With 31's he doesn't need a lift. Being a bit wider than typical 10.5" tires Id do a BL/MML only and replace the worn shocks with some new units. That's your best bet on $500 budget. Do not lift if you don't have to. 31x11.5's don't require it.

·
Registered
217 Posts
He has a different jeep... 4" of lift on his TJ = major $$$ to do it even close to right.

I in no way consider myself anything more than a novice/weekend off-roader, but I would respectfully disagree. I have a TJL and went with the Zone 4.25" combo lift (3" suspension with 1.25" body). Cost me less than $650 out the door, with disconnects, upgraded shocks and a steering stabilizer. Took about 12 hours to install, and has done great for me. I don't do any serious off roading, so can't say how great it would be for that, but I definitely think it is a quality kit for the lower-end user like myself. Only running 33's now, but wanted that could handle 35's down the road without rubbing issues.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
I in no way consider myself anything more than a novice/weekend off-roader, but I would respectfully disagree. I have a TJL and went with the Zone 4.25" combo lift (3" suspension with 1.25" body). Cost me less than $650 out the door, with disconnects, upgraded shocks and a steering stabilizer. Took about 12 hours to install, and has done great for me. I don't do any serious off roading, so can't say how great it would be for that, but I definitely think it is a quality kit for the lower-end user like myself. Only running 33's now, but wanted that could handle 35's down the road without rubbing issues.

Major $$$ to do it right, that zone lift doesn't come close IMO. You're getting away with it because you're on an LJ. Many TJ's can't handle a 3" lift, even with MML.

If you experience any drive line vibrations, which can occur at 2in+ of lift on a TJ, you will need a SYE and new drive shaft for ~$800. It's also worth mentioning that "to do it right" you should be getting those anyways on 2+ inches of spring lift. 3+ inches of spring lift you should be thinking about a cardan drive shaft, adjustable control arms, adj track bar, etc. Combine with a tummy tuck and you're heading in the right direction.

You can avoid the expensive driveline stuff by going with a transfercase drop, like some of the zone lifts do, but again, that's not doing it right. Fine for onroad, but also hideous.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Zone lift on an LJ? Shame on you......Id expect that on a rusted out high mileage TJ driven by a 16 year old kid, but an LJ? :facepalm: :D

·
Registered
217 Posts
Zone lift on an LJ? Shame on you......Id expect that on a rusted out high mileage TJ driven by a 16 year old kid, but an LJ? :facepalm: :D
Eh, like I said, I am definitely a newbie, but it came recommended for what I intend to use it for (which is mostly for hauling the dog around and occasionally driving offroad at my hunting property). Didn't realize there was a difference between the LJ and TJ, but I guess you wouldn't have as steep of driveline angles with the extra length. Plus I zip tie and duct tape most shit together, so the Jeep is lucky I didn't try to fab something up myself out of broken toothpicks and a slinky, haha! And besides, the Jeep belongs to my dog (got it a week after getting her), I have my own car :D

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
where can i buy an OME rear track bar relocation bracket online?
Not sure if they have the OME one specifically, they probably do, but I know they have the JKS ones which are equally good.

Rokmen - Off Road

Just let them know what you think you need and they'll set you up AND let you know if there's something else you do need or don't need.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts