Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to get a new Kenwood Head unit and backup camera
Installer gave the option of locations

1. License plate
2. Rear Spare

Questions

Which would you prefer?

If on spare, is there a cover that you particularly like that will work with the camera.

Thank you

·
Registered
69 Posts
On my 2016 Willys, I made a small bracket and attached it to the spare tire mount so that it extends through the spokes.
No cover.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: alevenso

·
Registered
231 Posts
I liked the spare for mine. I have the brake light that goes behind the wheel. I bend a aluminum bracket to mount it to, so it came out far enough. Works great as the brake light is snug on the bolts so it doesn't move when the spare is taken off. CAUTION, if you plan to change to aftermarket wheels you have to make sure to they can accommodate the camera (just switched my wheels, thought I was good with what I chose, but had to redo the mount and have to have the wheel mounted a specific way.) This is my option but I think for all no cover is needed as they are waterproof cameras, just watch the sun glare.

Another solid option if you don't need the hitch is inside the hitch on the rubber cover. That seems to work nicely, but too low for my taste.

If you don't want to deal with that and have no plans to change out the rear bumper the other option is in the rear bumper, just under the tire. Provides a nice view but may be low to some.

2 other options: Alpine camera that mounts in the center of the spare, nice but IMO too expensive. Or relocate license plate to the spare with the camera mount on it. This is a nice option but I'm not a fan of the license plate there.

Basically it comes down to a matter of preference. I would get everything connected, then use some tape of sorts to try out different locations before you do it if you are not sure.

·
Premium Member
358 Posts
As @bdog22 mentions, I mounted mine into (as in drilled holes in the bumper to flush mount the camera) in my stock bumper. It is just below the spare tire, and little toward the passenger side due to clearance issues inside the bumper. I can see my hitch ball when it is mounted, which is nice for hooking up a trailer, and I like the view behind the Jeep. Works for me anyway.

·
Registered
6,706 Posts
It depends on your use of the cam. If you want the cam strictly for reverse then a low mounting central position like on the bumper is best.

On the other hand I have mine mounted higher on the tire carrier and pointing slightly downward because I use it not only for reverse but for monitoring my trailers (while driving forward). It's not quite as accurate mounted higher but serves me better that way.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Made a bracket for mine and mounted it to the top or the reciever tube. Rarely use mine except when hooking up to a trailer. Now and then when trying to back as close to possible to something. Works well for both.
I've actually taken some of the bend out of it since those pics, because I kept bumping it when loading/unloading stuff from the back. It sits right on to of the tube now.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
877 Posts
I’m using double sided Gorilla Tape to mount the camera to the spare. I change it with every rotation and its easy and works great. Have done it with two different sets of wheels. I’ve never found a permanent mount that I liked better.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I picked up a cheapo ($20) camera from Amazon that has a license plate mounting bracket made out of metal. I bent/folded the arms up so it's shaped like a loop, and hooked it around the lower stud for the spare. Then I just remounted my spare and it clamped it down on the wheel mounting surface when tightening the lug nuts. With the bracket being metal, I simply bent it so that the camera is just about flush with the wheel face, and angled down slightly to see whatever is behind me.

·
Registered
928 Posts
The backup camera is mounted in/on the spare tire for both of the Jeeps in my family. I like the height of the license plate mounting option, but I don’t like the camera being off center of the vehicle.

·
Registered
10,420 Posts
If on spare, is there a cover that you particularly like that will work with the camera.
I am using a Rampage 783535 spare tire cover, which has a clear window that allows the camera to see thru, but still protects it (and protects the spare too).

Manufacturer photo:

Reactions: Pbels13

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The backup camera is mounted in/on the spare tire for both of the Jeeps in my family. I like the height of the license plate mounting option, but I don’t like the camera being off center of the vehicle.

Very helpful
Thank you

1 - 13 of 13 Posts