Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see all the guys with their CB antennas mounted on the back of their JKs, but I have been told that it's actually better to mount the antenna on the driver's side front fender. Is the front fender a general Jeep/CB antenna thing, maybe an older Jeep/antenna thing, a JK/CB antenna thing...or not correct at all?

·
Super Moderator
23,389 Posts
Front is better for cb performance but rarely see a front mount antenna

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Excellent -- thanks! I bought a JK-specific front fender (to bolt) mount and have installed my antenna there but have had a lot of trouble ironing out SWR issues. I was wondering if maybe I needed to try and move my antenna. I'll keep working on it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Correct. CB antennas belong in the rear and HAM antennas in the front. :)
The other reason people put antennas on the rear is that it protects them from branches. In the PNW, that's a key issue. I run a rear CB antenna and a front driver's side dual-band NMO mount ham antenna, as well as a front passenger side stubby GMRS antenna. I have a Comet SSB-1 (https://www.amazon.com/Comet-SBB-1-Flexible-Mobile-Antenna/dp/B001CQQ0Y6) for trail use, since it's a large flexible rubber antenna that won't break off like my Comet 2X4SR (Dual-Band | Comet Antenna, 29" tall) that I run around town with.

You see Aussie's put them up front, in the middle, I think for the same reason...defensive placement against branches taking them out.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I've got a 2' firestick on a front mount and it works fine all the time. Branches aren't much of a problem because if they are low enough to hurt the stick, they are also low enough to hurt the windshield, so I'm lifting them up & over anyway. You can see the blue stick in my garage pictures where sits on the passenger side mount and is the FM antenna. When I go out to wheel, I move it over to the drivers side where the CB mount is.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts