Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of January's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I have a 2007 2-door Wrangler JK (about 80k miles) that needs some new shocks/springs. From what I can tell, they're original equipment. I'm getting tossed around with normal highway driving and the littlest bumps send me flying up/down/back/forth. But I'd like something that can handle some occasional off-road fun. My buddy says a new set of springs and some Old Man Emu or ProComp ES9000s should do the trick.

I haven't had it lifted (and don't plan to). Too much cash and it would be a waste, except maybe to make other Jeep driver's a tad jealous/unfulfilled, or attract some LA ladies who dig the rigs.

Any suggestions? Many thanks!

·
Registered
787 Posts
Since you have a 2 door, check the local CL for new take-off springs and shocks from a 4 door Rubicon or Willys Wheeler.

I frequently see them for ~$150 for everything.

The 4 door springs will give you a slight lift of around 1" and you'll have the bonus of new suspension for little $$$

·
Premium Member
16,737 Posts
I completely agree. Find a pair of 18 or 19 front springs and a pair of 58, 59 or 60 rear springs off of Craigslist or from a local 4x4 shop that does Jeep lifts. I normally pay $75 for a set... I have a set of 18/59 sitting in my garage waiting for my next 2dr. That will give you about 1.5" of lift on factory spring rates.

While a set of red Rubicon shocks is an upgrade, it would still fall short of a set of Rancho 9000xl adjustable shocks. That would give you a great ride.

Reactions: mjg94

·
Registered
524 Posts
x3

If you are not keen on a lift, there is no better replacement than factory takeoffs, economically speaking. I think I paid $150 for mine. :thumb:

And, if you didn't know already the numbers Pressurized referenced are on the tag of each spring. The part number ends in something like "18AC". Those two numbers near the end are what you are looking for. Sometimes you can spot them in the photos, otherwise, the owners will either mention them in their ad, or should be able to tell you what they are. If you don't want to change your ride much, just get the numbers that match your current ones. If the tag is gone, for reference, my base hardtop had 14/56 stock.

Reactions: mjg94

·
Registered
501 Posts
What makes you think the stock springs are part of the problem? I didn't know they wear out from daily driving.

I'd be looking at shock, bushing and tire condition before I commit to spring swap out.

Is the whole jeep rocking around? Or are you getting jolted, hard hits?

·
Registered
677 Posts
What makes you think the stock springs are part of the problem? I didn't know they wear out from daily driving.

I'd be looking at shock, bushing and tire condition before I commit to spring swap out.

Is the whole jeep rocking around? Or are you getting jolted, hard hits?
I was thinking the same thing. Bad shocks can really give you a horrible ride.

·
Premium Member
16,737 Posts
Shocks would be at the top of my list and yes, I would want to check ball joints, control arm bushings, TRE's etc. for excessive wear... But springs do also sag over time from use.

The OP's question was shock/spring, but I would expect someone with a 10 year old off roader to check out the entire suspension for wear and tear...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks CJREX, I might look into grabbing some off of a lower mileage upgraded Rubicon or Willys

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thank you Pressurized, i'll take a look around LA, i'm sure there's a shop selling a good used set of springs/shocks. a lot of lifted jeeps around these parts that, from the looks of them, never saw any off-road action to begin with.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
14JKUR37, that's a good question. a buddy who owned a JK said grab new shocks/springs from the same maker, just in case. but i'm not sure if springs are even the problem. it's an 07 but from the looks of it coming off the lot with two previous owners, this thing didn't see much off road action at all. so springs might not even be necessary. i didn't even know what bushings were until i read the replies, so i might just take this thing in to an off-road garage for a suspension wear/tear check. and to answer your question, they aren't hard hits or any noise whatsoever, it's more getting tossed around from side to side and up and down (more side to side though, which might indicate another issue). thanks everyone for posting, i'm always looking for ideas/insight and appreciate the assist.:happyyes:

·
Registered
217 Posts
Im planning on OME Shocks to go with my 18/60 Springs when they go. Working on acquiring some JKU Recon springs for my two door. I believe they are utilizing the 10A springs.

·
Sponsoring Vendor
'13 JK
5,217 Posts
Hey all, I have a 2007 2-door Wrangler JK (about 80k miles) that needs some new shocks/springs. From what I can tell, they're original equipment. I'm getting tossed around with normal highway driving and the littlest bumps send me flying up/down/back/forth. But I'd like something that can handle some occasional off-road fun. My buddy says a new set of springs and some Old Man Emu or ProComp ES9000s should do the trick.

I haven't had it lifted (and don't plan to). Too much cash and it would be a waste, except maybe to make other Jeep driver's a tad jealous/unfulfilled, or attract some LA ladies who dig the rigs.

You may want to switch to some nitro shocks since you to not plan on lifting the Jeep, this will provide a stiffer ride. We PM'd you with more info =)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
if this thing saw any off-roading before i picked it up, i'd be very surprised. i had the jeep dealership check things out when i first got it and found no real problems, but i don't think they were looking at specific suspension parts.

·
Registered
501 Posts
if this thing saw any off-roading before i picked it up, i'd be very surprised. i had the jeep dealership check things out when i first got it and found no real problems, but i don't think they were looking at specific suspension parts.
So what did you drive before? What are you comparing the ride to?

A coil sprung jeep is going to get tossed around more than just about anything else on the road.

Maybe you don't really have a problem.

·
Premium Member
16,737 Posts
Stock suspension Jeeps have a horrible amount of yaw in them. It is typically from the lack of damping in the stock shocks. It is common to get a huge improvement with a set of quality shocks.

·
Registered
217 Posts
So what did you drive before? What are you comparing the ride to?

A coil sprung jeep is going to get tossed around more than just about anything else on the road.

Maybe you don't really have a problem.
I thought my JK rode like a Cadillac even when I had my 34s on stock suspension. (Still technically stock) very smooth, albeit more body roll than my TJ due to weight.

The TJ was far more bouncy and jarring, on smaller, softer, road tires.

Then there's LEAFSPRUNG CJ/YJs that will make you feel like a piece of popcorn in a mircrowave.

·
Registered
85 Posts

I have a 2008 JK, and had the same problem ...

Because of the countless type of springs in the market it was impossible to decide what springs or shocks to fit my JK with.

So, I weighed my front springs on the scale and they weighed 11 pound each, then went to Amazon.com and chose a 20 pound Springs that would fit my 2008 JK .... Problem solved

That was how I solved my problem, may be this would help

1 - 20 of 20 Posts