Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have already decided to get the rugged ridge front light bar which is $100 and can hold 3 lights. I mostly want to use these lights for highway driving or some back road driving so I want mostly fog lights that can show some distance and i dont have to turn on and off with passing cars. Ive looked for the best lights and got completely confused with all the options. I also want to spend about a $150 probably a litttle more. Some one help

this is the light bar

·
Registered
247 Posts
Hilldweller is the ultimate source of light knowledge, but a few things to keep in mind; in most states it is illegal to have lights on while driving on roads that are mounted higher than your driving lights and although only an example the center lights in that picture are mighty close. Also many of these offroad lights are not DOT approved for street/highway use, but it's only illegal if you get caught.

·
Registered
9,914 Posts
:whistling: HD is the Guru-

I use NAVIGATOR 55Ws, below ctr of headlights

:dance::rofl: JIMBO

·
Supporting Member
2,420 Posts
IDK if you can run the lights while on a highway, legally. Anyway I would suggest Rigid Dually LED lighting. They'll be more expensive than your $150 budget but IMO they have the best bang for buck lighting, are absolutely brighter than any halogen and arguably brighter than HID. They are also small and can tack a serious beating.

-Dan

·
Registered
283 Posts
You titled the thread best off road lights but you really seem to be looking for mostly on road use....you should probably clarify what kind of light patterns you require. You also mention fog lights which provide some distance? Fogs are not for distance, they are for close in very slow speed driving and should be mounted low....not so great for that light bar....search some of the many light threads and you'll find tons of great info to help narrow the selection down a bit. Please make sure whatever you select for on road use does not blind others...nothing worse than being on the receiving end of some blazing lights. Jimbox has a pretty nice setup, I'm sure others will chime in shortly.

·
Registered
8,929 Posts
I have already decided to get the rugged ridge front light bar which is $100 and can hold 3 lights. I mostly want to use these lights for highway driving or some back road driving so I want mostly fog lights that can show some distance and i dont have to turn on and off with passing cars.
this is the light bar
If you have stock fogs, you can leave those on with oncoming traffic. Or other DOT-compliant foglights ---- the list is short and the lights should be mounted lower than that lightbar.
You'd do better to upgrade your headlights to a quality H4 array like Daniel Stern's or Rallylights'.

If you don't have stock fogs, Bosch Compact 100s are a good choice.

That bar is for offroad lights; some states will insist that you cover them while you're on the road, in fact.
For cheap offroad-only lights, I'd get a pair of HIDs.

If you mounted a pair of driving lights on it (a pair, not three), you could wire them go come on only with the highbeams and run them on the highway.

·
Registered
8,929 Posts
You titled the thread best off road lights but you really seem to be looking for mostly on road use....you should probably clarify what kind of light patterns you require. You also mention fog lights which provide some distance? Fogs are not for distance, they are for close in very slow speed driving and should be mounted low....not so great for that light bar....search some of the many light threads and you'll find tons of great info to help narrow the selection down a bit. Please make sure whatever you select for on road use does not blind others...nothing worse than being on the receiving end of some blazing lights.
good advice.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Rigid LED -but it blows the budget

·
Registered
633 Posts
I set up for Fog, Rain and Snow :thumb:. These are IPE 968's @55 watts.:D Works GREAT in bad weather.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
To clarify i meant aftermarket lights not just offroading and these lights would be used on back roads and in really bad weather like cu in oz was talking about. I do know fogs are for up close but there are also euro beams which are somewhat in between spot and fog, didnt know if these would be better. And i was going to lower the bar to make sure they stayed under the headlights. I know mostly what i want i just dont know what brands are better then others for cheap.

·
Registered
53 Posts
If the LAW about lights not being above head lights is FACT...the there are a lot of trucks with Snow Plow light set-up in violation

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
nuthings illegal unless you get caught

·
Registered
8,929 Posts
To clarify i meant aftermarket lights not just offroading and these lights would be used on back roads and in really bad weather like cu in oz was talking about. I do know fogs are for up close but there are also euro beams which are somewhat in between spot and fog, didnt know if these would be better. And i was going to lower the bar to make sure they stayed under the headlights. I know mostly what i want i just dont know what brands are better then others for cheap.
If you want driving lights, the Euro pattern works. Wire them to come on only with the highbeams to be legal and effective.

The Daniel Stern affordable driving light du jour is a pair of 5.75" convex Cibie H1 lights and source a set of buckets to house them in.
Nice, even, cheap, reliable, no-gimmick light.
I also like the Hella Rallye 4000 if you can find them on sale.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
If the LAW about lights not being above head lights is FACT...the there are a lot of trucks with Snow Plow light set-up in violation
The plow lights become the headlights. The plow will block the stock headlights when it is raised. Only one set of lights can be used at any given time.

·
Premium Member
627 Posts
Not sure of all the light laws in all the states, but snow plow tower lights operate to replace vehicle front lighting (headlights, turn, flashers) by a bypass switch and are not illegal. In fact, it would be illegal to operate without the tower light set up with the stock front truck lights blocked by the plow, besides being stupid.

·
Registered
283 Posts
If you want driving lights, the Euro pattern works. Wire them to come on only with the highbeams to be legal and effective.

The Daniel Stern affordable driving light du jour is a pair of 5.75" convex Cibie H1 lights and source a set of buckets to house them in.
Nice, even, cheap, reliable, no-gimmick light.
I also like the Hella Rallye 4000 if you can find them on sale.
I have these components on the way, I look forward to putting them on. The Cibie headlights were a huge improvement, these will hopefully be the icing on the cake...without having tons of unnecessary stuff hanging off my rig. I don't spend all that much time on the computer/forums so finding so much great info in one place is great and I'd like to thank the folks on this site, including Hilldweller, for providing a great resource and truly useful information which allows me to make informed decisions, even after 30 years of messing with various vehicles and mods, I'm still learning- thanks to all. :thumb:

·
Premium Member
350 Posts
IDK if you can run the lights while on a highway, legally. Anyway I would suggest Rigid Dually LED lighting. They'll be more expensive than your $150 budget but IMO they have the best bang for buck lighting, are absolutely brighter than any halogen and arguably brighter than HID. They are also small and can tack a serious beating.

-Dan
I just put these on my Arctic, I like the size and they are very bright.
Piper

·
Registered
8,929 Posts
BTW, if you don't want to assemble a set of Cibies, there are also really cool lights called Cibie Super Oscars... ...really depends on how much you want to spend, how big you want them, how easy you want it.
I really like the Super Oscars but they do cost more.

·
Registered
355 Posts
A word of caution on the Grote buckets as a light housing. I ordered a pair and they are well..........less than premium quality. Both housings have several small dents in them and are to be considered utilitarian, I would say in appearance. They will work ok I suppose but do not expect them to match say KC as far as appearance is concerned (they are a medium gray dimple paint).

1 - 20 of 39 Posts