Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK guys,
by now, most of us know what kind of oil to use in this engine.
How about oil filter ?
As some of you know, oil filters market is somewhat shady. Not one of manufacturers gives you most important information about the filter, which is how much of a junk it can hold.
I am kind of anal when it comes to oil and the filters, and my problem is (given the fact that Pentastar is relatively new engine) that I am having hard time finding good, top of the line filters for this engine.
So the question is :
What oil filter do you use and where do you get it ??
Thanks !

·
Super Moderator
23,666 Posts
mopar or napa gold are good and this is a very simple design filter no reason to over think it.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I use the WIX PN 57526 filter. I heard that WIX and Mopar filters are made together so I figured it would be just fine.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
It's just a paper cartridge filter. I've used all 3 (NAPA, Wix, OEM) and they look the same.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I bought 4 Mopar filters at the dealership. Should last a year

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's just a paper cartridge filter. I've used all 3 (NAPA, Wix, OEM) and they look the same.
Exactly - and I am not happy with it at all.
Every one that I saw, looks to me like some cheap piece of crap.
Hopefully someone will come up with better built filter.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Well I've about a dozen changes and always look at the filter and that motor, it's oil, and that filter doesn't get that dirty.

I wouldn't worry too much about what the guy in the parts department of Autozone thinks.

·
Registered
26,921 Posts
Pretty much what you find in a standard spin on oil filter if you cut the metal can open.

·
Registered
57 Posts

Maybe K&N or Fram can make a different color filter with a cool sounding name and charge $20 a pop...

It does seem wrong how easy and simple it is to change the filter, along with how cheap the filters cost can be. Maybe it is a good design.

I am more tempted to run a long life oil and just change filters every 5K or so seeing how simple it is.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
I buy Mopar in packs of three from Amazon. I change every 3k (i know, I know but I'm old fashioned) so I'm not as concerned about the filter since it's never in long.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts