Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Commercial Member
3,962 Posts
Well your fixing to open a can if worms!!! But me personally, I run the Mobil 1 extended performance 15,000 mile oil, but who am I, I drive a TJ!!! LOL

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Any brand name API certified oil will be fine. You can't really say which is best because different driving habits have different lubrication needs that will be better met by different additive packages. In the real world, there is probably no difference between one oil and the next as long as you change it before it it loses it's ability to protect your engine you'll be fine.

Synthetic is better for your engine than dinosaur juice. I choose Amsoil because I can get it cheap and easily. Any of the brand name synthetics will be fine.

·
Premium Member
4,954 Posts
Cannot say what is the best . But have been running Valvoline in all my rides and never had an issue. And yes they are Chrysler products one with 135,000 miles. Oh yeah the dreaded Fram filter also

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
I've been using Mobil 1 for years now and have no complaints. So, I'm running their 5w20 in our new JK.

·
Registered
9,914 Posts
:whistling: Mobile one seems to have a broad use record, I've used Mobile one 5w-30, for the last 3 --4wds, no problemo

In my JKUR, I use Valvoline 75w-140 in the diffs--

I don't think a poor quality synthetic is made in the US, even though WalMart sells both, their Mobile one and regular Mobile one--I haven't tryed the WMyet, but I suppose it's about the same !!

:dance::rofl: JIMBO

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
I've been using Mobil 1 for years now and have no complaints. So, I'm running their 5w20 in our new JK.

Me too "M1" since 85 and amsoil auto tranny fluid, but this year switched to penzoil ultra. Did this because of all my on line research and my wifes buick direct injection engine is really hard on oil and the penzoil product seems to hold up better in that application. I haven't had my oil tested, but others have and thats the conclusion they came to. I also use a M1 or k&N filter. I change both at 5K.

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
Every engine is going to be a little different. Request a free oil analysis kit from Blackstone Labs . Try different oils and oil filters and send the sample back to them. They can give you analysis that no one here can do. That is only real way of knowing.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I noticed a 1-1.5 mpg improvement after switching to synthetic. Either that or my engine was finally broken in (started the synthetic at 2,500 miles). Not sure if it will continue to improve, I'm up to almost 3,800 miles.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Every engine is going to be a little different. Request a free oil analysis kit from Blackstone Labs . Try different oils and oil filters and send the sample back to them. They can give you analysis that no one here can do. That is only real way of knowing.
The only problem with that is you will have to do 5 or 6 samples of every oil and filter combination you want to try to consider the results valid. By the time you've tried enough combinations to find the best one, your engine is probably well past its prime and you still haven't established a baseline of what the normal oil chemistry is because it's changed so many times. The whole point of oil analysis is to see a change in oil chemistry or wear metals before your engine leaves you along the side of the road with a ventilated block. You can't see the change unless you have a well established "normal". To do that you need to pick an oil and filter combination and stick with it for the long haul.

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
The only problem with that is you will have to do 5 or 6 samples of every oil and filter combination you want to try to consider the results valid. By the time you've tried enough combinations to find the best one, your engine is probably well past its prime and you still haven't established a baseline of what the normal oil chemistry is because it's changed so many times. The whole point of oil analysis is to see a change in oil chemistry or wear metals before your engine leaves you along the side of the road with a ventilated block. You can't see the change unless you have a well established "normal". To do that you need to pick an oil and filter combination and stick with it for the long haul.
Agree.

Go with Mopar filter (made by wik currently), napa gold (wik again), o and wik filter itself.

Next buy oil from parts store. Choose a quality oil on sale.

Drain oil and take off old filter.

Now reverse the process and worry about other things in life.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
I'm curious to know how long it will take for aftermarket filters to come out for the 3.6 in the '12. There might already be some since the engine is in other models, but I haven't checked. I need to go see my Amsoil guy next week anyway, I'll try to remember to check with him. Their filters are made by Hastings and they make a really good filter as well.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts