Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I have a caliper getting stuck on one side of my jeep, and I need to replace it.

Since i'm moving to 37" tires later on, i figured this was a good time to add a brake kit into the plans instead of redoing the work.

will the vanco kit fit a 1994 yj wrangler without having to swap over parts off a TJ?

the Vanco site list is as "1990"+ tj.

also i have a new dual diaphram booster to go in as well.

·
Registered
4,111 Posts
lol you wont be running 37's with stock axles replace them then worry about brake upgrades if you need too.

Reactions: bp1

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
^ this... 35's are pushing the limits of stock axles...

I would call and ask if they fit.

·
Registered
38 Posts
He asked about brakes and you guys are busting balls about tire size...he might have upgraded axles but he wants to stop regardless of tire size. This forum is toxic with snarky answers. If his axles fail that is his deal. Maybe wet roads all it will see and never fail.
So long forums.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
As I see it it’s advice from experienced Jeepers, we could chose let people fall into issues, but we don’t wish the mistakes we’ve done our selves or have read about to be repeated.

I’m sure there are many instances where you’ve said “if only I had known”

·
Registered
4,111 Posts
He asked about brakes and you guys are busting balls about tire size...he might have upgraded axles but he wants to stop regardless of tire size. This forum is toxic with snarky answers. If his axles fail that is his deal. Maybe wet roads all it will see and never fail.
So long forums.

It's better to tell people the truth than sugar coat it. He said he did not want to redo work and A vanco brake kit is over $1000 for the front alone. Once he went to 37's he would be scraping the axles and $1000 worth of brakes because stock axles will not support them. He would need 5.37 gears with a 4.0 and the lowest the D30 goes is 5.13 and by the time you go that low the pinion is getting tiny. Buying big brake kit for stock axles is moronic and will just cost him more money in the long run than an axle swap.

·
Premium Member
2,640 Posts
It's better to tell people the truth than sugar coat it. He said he did not want to redo work and A vanco brake kit is over $1000 for the front alone. Once he went to 37's he would be scraping the axles and $1000 worth of brakes because stock axles will not support them. He would need 5.37 gears with a 4.0 and the lowest the D30 goes is 5.13 and by the time you go that low the pinion is getting tiny. Buying big brake kit for stock axles is moronic and will just cost him more money in the log run than an axle swap.
^^^^ And this is exactly why we ask questions^^^^

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
I remember once at finger lake state park a fellow on a quad asking me if the near vertical hill I just climbed and come back down w my dirt bike was muddy.... I guess I shoulda just told him it was dry and not told him that it was probably too nasty for his quad or mentioned the 200' cliff 10' past the peak....
Hard to believe he thanked me for being so snarky....

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
So long forums.
He asked a question about brakes and got replies about axles and more. Why do this to him, you ask?????? Because he needs to know what he is getting himself into. He has THREE posts. Even if he is a world class mechanic, every vehicle type has different quirks. Many people see an awesome Jeep and want what they see without realizing all the money and effort necessary to achieve it. Maybe you like to re-spend money, most of us don't. If I ask a question, I want the truth, even if it hurts my feeling. Yes, I only have one feeling and you guys can't hurt it. Anyway, sometimes the truth isn't want you wanted to hear but most guys here want to help people do it the right way, the first time. If you think these replies were snarky, you need to visit other sites. Perhaps, you should go pack a bowl and contemplate your criticism.

·
Premium Member
597 Posts
So long forums.
I am so sorry to see you go.:worthy:

·
Registered
131 Posts
Hey guys,

I have a caliper getting stuck on one side of my jeep, and I need to replace it.

Since i'm moving to 37" tires later on, i figured this was a good time to add a brake kit into the plans instead of redoing the work.

will the vanco kit fit a 1994 yj wrangler without having to swap over parts off a TJ?

the Vanco site list is as "1990"+ tj.

also i have a new dual diaphram booster to go in as well.

1990 is actually the break point when the knuckle went to a one piece unit versus the older (better) bolt on caliper bracket. Jeep was on the right track with the early knuckles as they are exactly how newer calipers are mounted. No doubt cost cutting brought about the changes.

The Black Magic kit your thinking of uses modified late knuckles machined to adapt a bracket and then what looks like Ford Explorer brakes. I believe Black Magic went this way mainly due to core availability with the late knuckles shared by YJ's and TJ's. Early knuckles are available from Crown new and can be made to adapt cleanly (and keep 15" rims) to a common late model truck thanks to the interest in SAS conversions. A much more affordable way to go versus the Black Magic kit IMHO. A very robust setup. Good luck.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Cornchip please elaborate on this. What calipers bolt up to the pre 90 knuckle.

Reactions: rushwal

·
Registered
284 Posts
Don't want to derail this but my 91 has bolt on caliper brackets, I just went outside and looked.

RichnSteph

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
Btw.... re brake upgrades... I recently discovered a DOWNGRADE that was a huge upgrade....

I have always bought expensive lifetime brake pads but recently I bought a 4 cyl tj for $500 that had been rode hard and put away wet for 10 years....
First repair fuel pump... second repair front calipers and pads.... went to the zone and bought the cheapest pads they had for $10.... I have never had such amazing brakes on a yj or tj...
All I can figure is that the high dollar pads are soo hard to hold up to the lifetime warranty that they give up grip... I plan to take the lifetime wagners off my dually and swap on some bargain basement duralast on it too

EDIT there IS a downside tho... lots of brake dust to keep cleaning up.

·
Premium Member
597 Posts
I rather have dirty good working brakes then clean mediocre brakes.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts