Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really need some sort of armored sidestep for my 2-door

I need something that can take a hit (I don't do much rock crawling) but I do travel alot offroad in bush trails with branches. So something that offers some protection.

I also need something that my son can use as a step.

I'm in Canada, so cist needs to be in check.

Looking at Smittybilt SRC, anything else out there under $450 US

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
Check out TNT Adventure Sliders/Steps, at the top of the list on quality, strength and looks. I have them on my Jeep,check out some pics in my build thread in my signature.

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Does anyone have the Smittybilt 76633 SRC? They use the body mounts?
I have them and purchased them for the exact same reason as you mentioned in your original post. Only had them for 2 months and love them so far.

Attachments

·
Registered
246 Posts
Another vote for the Ace Rock sliders. Some people have found blemishes in the powder coating but mine were fine and in fact has fared very well on the rocks. 3M makes a traction tape that I strongly suggest putting on the top surface as the sliders can be slippery to step on.

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
If you're looking for a slider that can take a lifetime of abuse you will want a set that are drilled and bolted to the frame. A few top of the line rails are TNT, Poison Spyder and the new JKS rails that are all bolted and drilling to the frame. I won't trust a rail that bolts to the pinch seams if you plan to abuse them or drag across rocks, you will end up replacing them in the near future.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Don't forget you will have to make sure to get your pant legs over them when dirty or you will end up with dirty legs every time you get in and out :)

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
I really need some sort of armored sidestep for my 2-door I need something that can take a hit (I don't do much rock crawling) but I do travel alot offroad in bush trails with branches. So something that offers some protection. I also need something that my son can use as a step. I'm in Canada, so cist needs to be in check. Looking at Smittybilt SRC, anything else out there under $450 US
I just got those last month through Amazon.ca. Love them and it only took me 30 min to install. Just a warning they are heavy and you will notice the weight while driving.

·
Super Moderator
10,635 Posts
Armor is useful when wheeling on rocks and such. It is unlikely you need armor to drive around bushes and branches. Those armored add-ons described above add a TON of weight. Make sure you are not trying to convince yourself you need armor to look "cool".

If you do decide you don't need armor, pick up a pair of Sahara take off side steps: they are lightweight, they are wide, giving your Jeep protection from branches and making them comfortable to step on, and their composite material can take serious abuse. You should be able to pickup a set of used ones for $100.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
For under $400 you can get any decent slider. I just picked up JCR Classic sliders and they are sitting in a box in my basement ready to be painted.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Armor is useful when wheeling on rocks and such. It is unlikely you need armor to drive around bushes and branches. Those armored add-ons described above add a TON of weight. Make sure you are not trying to convince yourself you need armor to look "cool".

If you do decide you don't need armor, pick up a pair of Sahara take off side steps: they are lightweight, they are wide, giving your Jeep protection from branches and making them comfortable to step on, and their composite material can take serious abuse. You should be able to pickup a set of used ones for $100.

Good luck.
I'm going to Trailfest in Bobcaygeon this year and the only recommended items are swaybar disconnect and some body protection.

I've seen the vids of the trails they have and protection would help in some places.

Also, my son could also use the steps to get into the Jeep.

That is why I was thinking of the Smittybult ones, but the ACE ones look like a good idea as well

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I just got those last month through Amazon.ca. Love them and it only took me 30 min to install. Just a warning they are heavy and you will notice the weight while driving.
Do you have a picture of them?

Did they bolt to the body mounts or the pinch seam?

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Don't forget you will have to make sure to get your pant legs over them when dirty or you will end up with dirty legs every time you get in and out :)
Yeah, I get that sometimes now when putting my son in the Jeep with the salt and snow!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts