Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Never had a Wrangler before but both the lady and I are dying for one! While this is a third vehicle for us it will still be used in the NoVA daily commute and weekend activities. Light off-roading, nothing a stock Wrangler wouldn't be able to touch. Don't want to lift it and don't want anything more aggressive than a good A/T tire.

The deal is that the budget is limited. There are very good deals to be had on 2014s locally (will likely buy from Koons in Tysons Corner) so trying to keep the sale price of the Jeep around $25k.

While I love the look of the Sahara (always wanted one since that trim came out) it's a bit pricey. I don't see that value in the Sport S unless you're going to load it up, so was thinking of doing a loaded base Sport.

Must have:
Copperhead, Anvil, or Dune
6-speed manual
LSD (can't get it on base Sport so thinking Truetrac later?)
Premium soft top or hard top (leaning to soft top)
Connectivity Group
A/C

If we do base Sport I'll buy take-off Sahara wheels off CL or spring for AEV wheels and new A/Ts.

I'm unable to locate a vehicle close to these specs. There's an Anvil Willys Wheeler 23K in PA but that's pushing the budget. I don't like the KM2s (I'm going to get crucified, can feel it) as it's more of a mall crawler.

We don't need the Power Convenience Group as IMO it's robbery what they're charging for it. Would definitely like a better stereo, and holding out for the 2015 Alpine is an option if it's that much better. Don't care about tinted windows especially what they are charging! Can add the 430RBZ later too so want the 130 with Connectivity. I guess I'll add heated seats later too. Wish I could order Auto Climate without jumping to Sahara.

Sorry for the rambling but am I missing something? I don't wrench on my own vehicles so want to get this right from the factory instead of paying for labor.

·
Registered
279 Posts
If you haven't driven one off road yet I can tell you that the BLD (brake lock differential) works wonders. It's not a true locking or limited slip differential, but it uses the brakes to simulate it. If you can find most of what you want and it doesn't have the LSD, I think you can skip it. The Sport S is a great value IF you want AC AND are going to keep the 255/75 on 17" aluminum wheels. If you want to change out the wheels, then you are right, it is a waste.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Do a base sport, use Craigslist for take off wheels from a Sahara or Rubicon. I'd just get a soft top, especially if it is a third vehicle. This will be your best bet cost wise.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Why LSD if all your going to do is light off roading?

If you're not going to mod I'd recommend getting the 3.21's, unless you're planning on going higher than 32's OR light to race like a jack rabbit from stop light to stop light.

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
I'm assuming you want a 2 door based on your comment about LSD. (LSD is available on the 4 door base Sport, the 2 door Sport S, and the 4 door Sport S......but not the 2 door base Sport).

I would stongly consider a Willys and look to sell the wheels right away. Run the numbers and see if you come out ahead. Brand new Willys take-offs can go for $1000 to $1200....so that can fund your new wheels.
Brand new base Sport take-offs will sit your garage.
Plus the Willys allows you to get LSD in the 2 door base Sport. Factory LSD is perfect for slick pavement and light off-roading.

·
Premium Member
7,920 Posts
It's raining........... here so I could well be all wet....:)....but since you are not in a great big hurry.....send an email to a couple/ 3 dealers being specific on "must have's" and money that will be spent. See what "offers" you get, or you could just order and get it what in AUG? Good Luck!!

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
I was originally looking at a base sport unlimited, but once I added the 3.73 gears, LSD, rock rails, tint, aluminum wheels, satellite radio, bluetooth, etc, the willys 24K package became a no brainer for me. I opted out for the 24W (power convenience package). If you don't go crazy with options, you can price a willys for a decent price and IMHO, it's the best value out there...

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
If you haven't driven one off road yet I can tell you that the BLD (brake lock differential) works wonders. It's not a true locking or limited slip differential, but it uses the brakes to simulate it. If you can find most of what you want and it doesn't have the LSD, I think you can skip it. The Sport S is a great value IF you want AC AND are going to keep the 255/75 on 17" aluminum wheels. If you want to change out the wheels, then you are right, it is a waste.
Well, the Sport S (2dr) will also allow you to add the rear LSD. You can't add the LSD if it's just the Base Sport (2dr).

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
I'm assuming you want a 2 door based on your comment about LSD. (LSD is available on the 4 door base Sport, the 2 door Sport S, and the 4 door Sport S......but not the 2 door base Sport).

I would stongly consider a Willys and look to sell the wheels right away. Run the numbers and see if you come out ahead. Brand new Willys take-offs can go for $1000 to $1200....so that can fund your new wheels.
Brand new base Sport take-offs will sit your garage.
Plus the Willys allows you to get LSD in the 2 door base Sport. Factory LSD is perfect for slick pavement and light off-roading.
^ This

This is the route I would take.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Well, the Sport S (2dr) will also allow you to add the rear LSD. You can't add the LSD if it's just the Base Sport (2dr).
I would think for the stated usage ("Light off-roading, nothing a stock Wrangler wouldn't be able to touch") the BLD should be fine and LSD seems like an unnecessary option to me.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
I would think for the stated usage ("Light off-roading, nothing a stock Wrangler wouldn't be able to touch") the BLD should be fine and LSD seems like an unnecessary option to me.
This is just my opinion, but I think the LSD isn't that useful off road and is actually more useful on road when the conditions are slippery (rain, snow, ice, etc).

So if the OP lives in an area with rain, snow, etc I think the LSD is a huge benefit.

·
Registered
830 Posts
This is just my opinion, but I think the LSD isn't that useful off road and is actually more useful on road when the conditions are slippery (rain, snow, ice, etc).

So if the OP lives in an area with rain, snow, etc I think the LSD is a huge benefit.
I lived 15 years in northeast Ohio, had a truck with LSD for about 5 of it.. switched to a 2wd open diff with traction control (basically the same as the jeep BLD) and never had any problems driving in snow, solid ice, etc. I think good quality tires make more difference.

We get snow/ice here in Reno as well, and they don't bother cleaning/salting roads much at all. Never had a problem getting around without LSD and didn't think twice about getting a sport without LSD.

IMO the LSD option would be a complete waste for the OP, a main point here was "on a budget" after all.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
I lived 15 years in northeast Ohio, had a truck with LSD for about 5 of it.. switched to a 2wd open diff with traction control (basically the same as the jeep BLD) and never had any problems driving in snow, solid ice, etc. I think good quality tires make more difference.

We get snow/ice here in Reno as well, and they don't bother cleaning/salting roads much at all. Never had a problem getting around without LSD and didn't think twice about getting a sport without LSD.

IMO the LSD option would be a complete waste for the OP.
You're right about the BLD. It does a great job. The LSD would kick in before the BLD and save some wear on the brakes but ultimately a BLD would be fine too.

The OP wanted an LSD, so I was making him aware that a 2dr base does not have the option to add the LSD. He would need to Sport S to do that.

Personally, I like having the LSD, I think it makes for a bit more of seamless drive when in the white stuff... the traction control rarely has to kick in and slow the engine and brake my tires. :)

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts

IMO the LSD option would be a complete waste for the OP, a main point here was "on a budget" after all.
While I agree quality tires make the biggest difference, factory LSD is one of the better value options available if you you are mostly pavement with a little bit of light off-roading (assuming you live someplace with slick conditions).

If you are going to get into heavy off-roading with a Sport....pass on the factory Trac-Lok and put in a TruTrac. But for snowy roads light trails....4WD + LSD + traction control is awesome. LSD was a must have for me after owning an open diff Liberty (that luckily had optional selec-trac instead of command-trac).

·
Registered
830 Posts

The OP wanted an LSD, so I was making him aware that a 2dr base does not have the option to add the LSD. He would need to Sport S to do that... :)
The OP wanted LSD but also included parenthetical 'add truetrac later' so I was just trying to save him some upfront money ;-):drinks:

Anyone else notice OP hasn't posted on this thread? Overloaded with info maybe ;-)
:beerdrinking:

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
The OP wanted LSD but also included parenthetical 'add truetrac later' so I was just trying to save him some upfront money ;-):drinks: Anyone else notice OP hasn't posted on this thread? Overloaded with info maybe ;-) :beerdrinking:
LoL, It is part of the initiation process!

:drinks:

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
The OP wanted LSD but also included parenthetical 'add truetrac later' so I was just trying to save him some upfront money ;-):drinks:

Anyone else notice OP hasn't posted on this thread? Overloaded with info maybe ;-)
:beerdrinking:
I missed that.
It is actually harder to add Tru-Trac to a pumkin with Trac-Lok. So yeah, that is something the OP needs to figure out up front...plus it would be a waste of money.

When I ordered my Wrangler, I went back on forth on getting factory LSD, or getting an open diff and going aftermarket. I went factory LSD because it was cheaper, covered by warranty, and because I was too much of a chicken to open up the diff on a brand new vehicle.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the opinions. Currently sitting at Koons but wishing I made the order deadline.

I didn't realize the BLD was that effective, I might end up skipping LSD after all but conventional wisdom says a mechanical LSD is the box to tick on the options list. I am the type to drive spiritedly so will likely stay with 3.73 but sad they're so expensive now.

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
Thanks for the opinions. Currently sitting at Koons but wishing I made the order deadline.

I didn't realize the BLD was that effective, I might end up skipping LSD after all but conventional wisdom says a mechanical LSD is the box to tick on the options list. I am the type to drive spiritedly so will likely stay with 3.73 but sad they're so expensive now.
The price jack on 3.73's....

Shameful money grab my Jeep.... :censored:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Might end up ordering a 2015, Koons offered the customary 5% below invoice which is a decent deal but we don't have 2015 pricing yet. Not in a hurry though.

Wish I could find a used 2013 with the options I want, ugh. Since I'm not getting as much a discount as expected the Willys Wheeler is simply out of budget.

I'll crunch the numbers between base Sport and moderately-equipped Sahara, obviously Sahara is more money but not sure if it's worth the $4k or so difference.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts