Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like the title states, best all around battery or for the price, a great buy battery running LED's and a winch!

·
Premium Member
2,702 Posts
I can't wait to see what rabbit hole this thread goes down. LOL

·
Registered
4,178 Posts
The biggest battery that will fit. I think mines a group 34 i think there is another one that is taller but i dont remember what group size it is. Alternator and cables are are just as important as the battery.

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
I run Optimas because they've treated me good and I can get a good deal on them. Lots of people hate on them though.

In all honesty any decent battery will be absolutely fine and your alternator and cables are far more important.

Many years ago (20ish) I had a jacked up suburban with 6 or so high high amperage KC Daylighters on it. One of those lights probably drew more power than all of your led's combined. My battery went bad and I was short on funds at the time so I put a $19 lawn mower battery in it and believe it or not that battery served me well for over a year before I got around to replacing it with the proper size battery. This was in northern ohio... many starts in sub 0 temps

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll just shut it down, as there are plenty of threads....... Grabbed a Duracell ultra Platinum AGM.....

Sams club had an instant $20 off and then I got another 15% off of that price.... So for me the price point was appealing enough, the warranty and reviews...

Reactions: 9278 YJ

·
Registered
4,178 Posts
I'll just shut it down, as there are plenty of threads....... Grabbed a Duracell ultra Platinum AGM.....

Sams club had an instant $20 off and then I got another 15% off of that price.... So for me the price point was appealing enough, the warranty and reviews...

Group 34? The factory group size is small i think it is about 500CCA the 34 is 800 i wouldent go any smaller than 800CCA for winching.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Interstate is my choice not cheap but the one in my lincoln was 12 years old when I sold that car, the one in my pickup is 10 tears old, the one in my TJ is five years old. You get what you pay for in batteries. The battery in my YJ was bought at Advance Auto just because it failed on an out of state trip and was the only vendor open at the time. I'll see how long that lasts. I agree with a winch you will need a minimum of a 800 CCA battery no matter what brand you choose.

Reactions: gat

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
The only optima that ever failed on me was about 20 yrs old... HARD years too...
Will let yall know if one of these 'junk' johnson controls optimas ever dies on me. IIRC I think my oldest one may be nearing 10 years

·
Premium Member
2,702 Posts
I'd like to hear from someone who lives in AZ or New Mexico that has run an AGM and how they handle the Heat.

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
Not quite that hot but I've spent quite a bit of time in houston w no issues

·
Registered
800 Posts
I prefer Deka / East Penn batteries. Jmho. But the biggest battery that wil fit the battery tray is a group 65. I have one in my 94.

·
Premium Member
766 Posts

After ALL of our sidebar discussion??!!! Just messing Brother, that is a great battery for the price. A little on the heavy side (but what battery, particular AGM, isn’t) similar to the Odyssey’s we discussed, but certainly a quality battery.

I prefer Deka / East Penn batteries. Jmho. But the biggest battery that wil fit the battery tray is a group 65. I have one in my 94.
The Duracell’s are manufactured by East Penn. Not a JC manufactured product like many others, particularly left coast products.

Reactions: dukcaln

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
After ALL of our sidebar discussion??!!! Just messing Brother, that is a great battery for the price. A little on the heavy side (but what battery, particular AGM, isn’t) similar to the Odyssey’s we discussed, but certainly a quality battery.

The Duracell’s are manufactured by East Penn. Not a JC manufactured product like many others, particularly left coast products.
I know right.... was just looking..... but the price point hooked me......

Maybe too little of CCA but for the little use i plan on giving it.... might be ok for me

·
Registered
343 Posts

·
Registered
821 Posts
And the best accessory you can buy for this great buy battery is a good automatic charger, a topped off battery is a happy battery.
It doesn't need to be a big huge amp charger just a 3amp works great if you leave it over night.

·
Super Moderator
10,647 Posts
And the best accessory you can buy for this great buy battery is a good automatic charger, a topped off battery is a happy battery.
It doesn't need to be a big huge amp charger just a 3amp works great if you leave it over night.
This is great advice. I have Battery Tenders on everything that doesn't get used real regularly. My RZR is 9 years old with the original battery.

As far as batteries, I had a top of the line Batteries Plus battery in my teardrop camper fail while camping. There were no Battery Plus stores close to where I was camping and I needed a battery. I bought a NAPA battery and that's all I buy now. There's a NAPA store in darn near every small town and if I have one fail on the road, I can easily get a pro-rated replacement.
I always buy the largest battery that'll fit and has the highest CCA rating.

Certain things in life require quality ahead of price. Batteries are one of those things. Saving $10.00 or $20.00 on a battery doesn't matter when you have to spend $100.00 on a service call or a tow.

Good Luck, L.M.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts