Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since the spring over is moving forward, I realized while pulling the D30 and test fitting the springs that the steering is going to have issues, even using the drop pitman arm. Thus, I'm looking at a replacement Over The Top Steering System to beef up the steering and keep it from bumpsteering off the springs.

I was going to go with the Rocky Road system but now I've seen several bad reviews of them (both on this forum and others) that has me second guessing. I know Currie makes awesome stuff. Is that what you guys who have done SOA with OTT steering would recommend? or Teraflex? or another system?

I want something that will last and be bulletproof, even if it's more money.

Denis

·
Premium Member
3,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What size springs are you using?
I'm using the RE1445 Rubicon Express 1.5" lift springs over the Spring Over.

My Jeep always has a shackle lift (which I'm taking off in favor of Currie standard length shackles) and a 3 inch body lift (which I'm leaving on for now, likely to take down to 1" in the new year).

Denis

·
Premium Member
3,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I bought wj knuckles for the bigger brakes and the crossover steering for my soa when I get to it.
I wish I would have thought of that before I just put a bunch of money into new brakes for the stock D30.

Denis

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
The knuckles are the best, and also most expensive solution. I went with Rocky Road. I did my homework so I would know what to expect and have had not one problem. It has actually saved my tie rod from rocks a few times since it is up so high. I made sure I tapped the knuckles out and took my time on them. I bolted the adapters on the knuckles down as tight as possible, then mig welded the crap out of it. Basically anywhere I could reach got welded. Every once in a while I look at it and pull on it. Thing has never come loose. It is as solid as can be. Very happy with it. I should also mention that I did smash a tie rod once on a pipe in some grass, it was only $30 for the new one from them. Very reasonable, and no drop pitman arm needed.

·
Premium Member
3,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I bought wj knuckles for the bigger brakes and the crossover steering for my soa when I get to it.
Nickabis - Dumb question... can I use the WJ knuckle with the stock YJ D30 calipers and rotors?

I don't mind spending some bucks on the knuckle.. but don't want to re-buy brake components that I just bought and just installed if I can help it.

Denis

·
Premium Member
3,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The knuckles are the best, and also most expensive solution. I went with Rocky Road. I did my homework so I would know what to expect and have had not one problem.
Overkill - Did you buy this system?

High steer, knuckle over steering system for Jeep Wrangler

I take it this comes with two knuckle attachments (that bolt to the existing D30 knuckles left and right) and new drag link and all hardware to bolt them on? I've been reading horror stories about these systems failing suddenly driving down the road, sheering off under light axle droop, etc. Did you encounter any problems installing? Anything I should watch out for when doing this install, if I go this way?

Denis

·
Registered
339 Posts
Not a stupid question. The stock brake parts work not work with wj knuckles. The wj brake calipers and rotors well be need, I had my rotors redrilled to 5x4.5

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Overkill - Did you buy this system?

High steer, knuckle over steering system for Jeep Wrangler

I take it this comes with two knuckle attachments (that bolt to the existing D30 knuckles left and right) and new drag link and all hardware to bolt them on? I've been reading horror stories about these systems failing suddenly driving down the road, sheering off under light axle droop, etc. Did you encounter any problems installing? Anything I should watch out for when doing this install, if I go this way?

Denis
If they were going to fail, with what I have done to them they would have. I would just suggest welding as well. The components you list are correct. The system has been solid as a rock for me. No complaints at all.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
I looked at the system and i alsready have a modified rugged ridge tie rod and drag link. I flipped mine on top of the mount but it won't work for a spring over. The tie rods are in the way now. I am gonna make my own high steer when i do my soa someday.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
I would say an axle swap is the proper way to do this. I wanted a dana 44 from something that was already spring over, but didnt have the time when i ran into a steering problem unexpectadly. I am still not sure what is a direct bolt in to an soa since i stopped doing my homework after buying the ott kit. Anyone know? I may jump on a stronger axle up front if i come across a good deal.

·
Premium Member
3,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I would say an axle swap is the proper way to do this.
I may eventually do an axle swap, but if I do it's going to be to front and rear D60s. Since I just did the 8.8, not in a hurry to do anything more there until I get a year or so of use of it and then I'll sell it and the D30 together.

In the meantime, I think I'm going to go back to the RockyRoad conversion.

Denis

·
Registered
37 Posts
I just received my Rocky Road OTT, hope to have time to put it on next weekend. I can let you know, what I think of it after that. In the next year I want a D60 up front, already have one in the rear.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
I just received my Rocky Road OTT, hope to have time to put it on next weekend. I can let you know, what I think of it after that. In the next year I want a D60 up front, already have one in the rear.
Make sure you weld them as well as bolt them onto your knuckles. Pulling the axle makes it a lot easier if it isnt already out.

·
Premium Member
3,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Axle is out (just got regeared) so I'll get the steering ordered and get it welded on while I'm doing the axle truss.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Yep, was going to red locetite the bolts and weld it. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Let me know how it goes. Better yet, take some pictures of the install and post them! Would love to see how it works out.

Denis

·
Registered
37 Posts
Worked out good. The only problem I had was my pitman arm. The PO had a 4inch drop, wich dosnt work. I borrowed one from a friend off his 80 CJ, till my stock one arrives. Today I found at full lock the bottom front bolt flares (1 on each side) rub the Ujoint Yokes. Used the cutoff wheel and trimed part of the washer off the bolt head. I took a couple of pics, not much to show, all was very straight forward. A lot easier then "Timmy Two Springs build".:D

1 - 20 of 36 Posts