Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a good outdoor cover that isn't made of thin material and is easy to install. I bought a Superweave from California Car Cover a few years ago for my SRT8 but hated the damn thing. Too difficult to get over the roofline. The Superweave was like a parachute... if it was windy outside, forget it.

Here's a matrix of the various cover materials and intended purposes.

I'm looking for the best outdoor protection... mostly from the sun and rain.

All opinions and real-life experiences are welcome.

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Interested... I got a Smittybuilt, which I'd qualify as water resistant. It can leak at the seams, so I'm not comfortable leaving the top down with heavy rain. It does keep the sun and bird crap off! :dance:

·
Registered
666 Posts
I have this one Bestop 81040-09 - Bestop® All Weather Trail Cover in Charcoal for 07-13 Jeep® Wrangler JK 2 Door - Quadratec

If I use it, it means I have the top down and the doors off.

It is pretty thick material, but it is manageable. (I put it on in my office work clothes, and the only problem with that in the south is that on days when we expect rain it's humid as hell, so I break a sweat)

IT's manageable. (Edit, better than putting the top back up, and it's form fitted, that's a plus)

Here's what I don't like about it:

There's no "extra fabric" to come down in front of the door opening, so if you're running mirrors in the door hinges, you will have an opening there. I mitigate that by sticking a bungee in the hole they left for a locking cable on one end and hooking the other end on my rock rail (ACE) pulling the whole door part of the cover forward a bit.

The clips on the top are designed for a stock Jeep, so they won't hook under my Rubicon rails or my ACE rail, so rather than use the hook, I use the nylon strap to tie them off.

There's no "extra fabric" in back, so my soft top boot cover (that I always use) gets in the way they intend for the back strap to hook. Again I use a bungie wrapped all the way around to catch the nylon back strap hooks and through my spare.

This sounds crazy, but it's a quick operation and it's withstood gusty winds of about 35 mph so far.

Rain does get in around the front edge of the door area with the doors off, but not much at all, due to how I pull it forward with the bungies.

For longer term and much heavier duty use, I would probably put the top up, doors on and throw on a high-grade like this one:

WeatherShield HD Car Covers - Covercraft Car Covers

·
Registered
111 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts