Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, new here. I have a 13 jk 4 door with premium soft top and love the sun rider feature but hate the zippers in the back. I am set to get the bestop trektop pro. I want a roof rack and want to be able to use the sun rider feature. Which rack would be best for me? I have been also looking at the RR exo top, I just do not want zippers and do not like the wavy windows and material. If it was premium material I would have been interested. Thanks

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
You should get a hardtop. There are racks that work with the hardtop and will allow the use of freedom panel removal. You don't seem like a soft top kind of person if you have an aversion to zippers, non-premium material and wavy windows. Sorry.

·
ExtremeTerrain.com Sponsoring Vendor
6,005 Posts
Hi, new here. I have a 13 jk 4 door with premium soft top and love the sun rider feature but hate the zippers in the back. I am set to get the bestop trektop pro. I want a roof rack and want to be able to use the sun rider feature. Which rack would be best for me? I have been also looking at the RR exo top, I just do not want zippers and do not like the wavy windows and material. If it was premium material I would have been interested. Thanks
What about any of the Roof Racks with removable cross bars? You can just leave the bars that would interfere with the top off. That might work for you! Let me know what you think and if you'd like a quote on a rack.

-Ryan

·
Registered
409 Posts
What about any of the Roof Racks with removable cross bars? You can just leave the bars that would interfere with the top off. That might work for you! Let me know what you think and if you'd like a quote on a rack.

-Ryan
Ryan,
What do you all recommend as the best temp rack? I don't want one all the time, but need something a few times each summer for bikes and surf boards with the soft top, and a few times each Winter with the hardtop for skis.
Thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ryan, I had thought about that, what do you like and recommend. I do like the RR exo, I am just having a hard time with the zippers.

·
6,005 Posts
Ryan,
What do you all recommend as the best temp rack? I don't want one all the time, but need something a few times each summer for bikes and surf boards with the soft top, and a few times each Winter with the hardtop for skis.
Thanks!
I don't know of an easily removable soft top rack. Surco has a rack for hard tops that comes on and off easily, but I don't know of one for a soft top.

A hitch mounted carrier/rack might be your best bet.

Ryan, I had thought about that, what do you like and recommend. I do like the RR exo, I am just having a hard time with the zippers.
The Barricade Roof Rack has removable cross bars. That way you can only install the ones you need but give yourself room for teh sunrider to flip back. I'm sure there are others but that is the first one that comes to mind. Let me know what other questions you have!

-Ryan

·
Registered
409 Posts
I don't know of an easily removable soft top rack. Surco has a rack for hard tops that comes on and off easily, but I don't know of one for a soft top.

A hitch mounted carrier/rack might be your best bet.

-Ryan
How about the Garvins? Are they pretty much a permanent system once installed? I don't mind leaving behind brackets, just want the rack off when not traveling.

·
6,005 Posts
How about the Garvins? Are they pretty much a permanent system once installed? I don't mind leaving behind brackets, just want the rack off when not traveling.
They're all removable to some degree, it just depends on how much work it is to remove the rack. Most will have brackets on the windshield hinges and on the rear frame. If the brackets are attached the bars you'd have to remove them. If they're separate for the bars you can probably remove the rack and leave the brackets. Let me know what you decide to do!

-Ryan

·
Registered
5 Posts
There is the LoD sliding roof rack, but I don't know if it sits high enough for sunrider mode. Also, there doesn't seem to be any reviews out there of the LoD roof rack, so that is a little disconcerting to me. Can't believe nobody bought it. Looked like a pretty cool option for the overlanding crowd.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Like I posted before, the Bestop Overhead Rack is a great temporary rack. I use it when hauling my kayak and it works really well for that. It's fairly inexpensive and you don't need to purchase a bunch of load bars or accessories to use it. The side rails stay on the Jeep tub all the time and I just slide the rack bars on when I need them. I do it by myself, it doesn't require 2 people though that would make it easier. I paid about $200 for it so shop around.

here is the Jeep without the rack on it:

·
Registered
409 Posts
Like I posted before, the Bestop Overhead Rack is a great temporary rack. I use it when hauling my kayak and it works really well for that. It's fairly inexpensive and you don't need to purchase a bunch of load bars or accessories to use it. The side rails stay on the Jeep tub all the time and I just slide the rack bars on when I need them. I do it by myself, it doesn't require 2 people though that would make it easier. I paid about $200 for it so shop around.

here is the Jeep without the rack on it:

How far do you drive with the kayak? That looks like a lot of overhang for a long drive. And it looks like the span on the unlimited would be less. Not sure my 9' Longboard would handle a 2-3 hour trip.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Well my kayak is 12'6". I usually drive about 30-40 minutes on back roads to get to the river. I wouldn't go on the highway with it but I probably could. You could add a windshield light bar if you want more support over the front.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just checked out the Wild Boar rack. I have a 2014 soft top 4 door. Is it easy to install? Does it come off? How hard is it to get the sunrider positioned? In addition to cargo, I want to use the basket for a tent platform in tropical rainy weather. Is it secure enough? At least it is a better size than most. I am trying to modify my jeep for Pan American Highway. Could also use advice on interior lock boxes and I am looking for a good above the wheel rack for extra storage on the road. Thank you!

·
Registered
165 Posts
I have been trying to find the answer to the same question.
I think it comes down to the Kargo Master or the Sherpa with a soft top. My only grip is that i'd prefer to run this through the winter/colder months full time and in the summer remove it and only have it on when I need it. The Sherpa looks to be able to be partially removed with only a few bolts and the front acts like a full time light bar.

I guess it all comes down to personal preference.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts