Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I only got one key whenI bought my used, 08 Sahara. Need to get a second key, but don't see paying the price the stealership wants. My local locksmith can cut and program the new key for me. I have seen a lot of places selling cheap keys, but they seem to fall apart after a few months or break. Is there a source for a good, quality key at a reasonable price? Appreciate any input

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
I bought two key fobs from www.remotesremotes.com for something like $45 shipped and a local dealer cut and programmed both for $60.

They are definitely not up to OEM quality, as I had to put latex fob covers on them to keep them from falling apart if I dropped them.

That said, they are about 8 months old, and I've used one of them as my regular key for 8 months with no issues since getting the latex covers.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
578 Posts
I only got one key whenI bought my used, 08 Sahara. Need to get a second key, but don't see paying the price the stealership wants. My local locksmith can cut and program the new key for me. I have seen a lot of places selling cheap keys, but they seem to fall apart after a few months or break. Is there a source for a good, quality key at a reasonable price? Appreciate any input
I have refused to buy used vehicles that don't have two keys, including motorcycles with special security keys. Keys cost a lot of money to replace and I have always made the seller furnish me two keys if they want me to buy their vehicle. You should have done the same thing when purchasing it.

trainman

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
I have refused to buy used vehicles that don't have two keys, including motorcycles with special security keys. Keys cost a lot of money to replace and I have always made the seller furnish me two keys if they want me to buy their vehicle. You should have done the same thing when purchasing it.

trainman
^ This!

As far the "best replacement key"?
OEM
If it were me, I'd take my lumps, get one or two OEM keys, and never forget.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

trainman
This was really helpful!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Seems that most aftermarket keys are not that durable, for whatever reason. Maybe the best way out is an OEM key.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Seems that most aftermarket keys are not that durable, for whatever reason. Maybe the best way out is an OEM key.
I'm not sure on your Jeep, but before you buy a third. Many modern vehicles have a way, if you have two functional keys, you can use them to program a third. I'd hate for your to pay full boat for a third, IF you could simply pay for the key and the cut, and go home and program yourself. The dealer programming is usually the majority of the cost.
I order my company vehicles with 3 keys. One stays with the title at the company, I keep 2 originals, so I can reprogram a lost.
Again, I'm not sure if your Jeep can do this, but it's worth looking in to.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I'm not sure on your Jeep, but before you buy a third. Many modern vehicles have a way, if you have two functional keys, you can use them to program a third. I'd hate for your to pay full boat for a third, IF you could simply pay for the key and the cut, and go home and program yourself. The dealer programming is usually the majority of the cost.
I order my company vehicles with 3 keys. One stays with the title at the company, I keep 2 originals, so I can reprogram a lost.
Again, I'm not sure if your Jeep can do this, but it's worth looking in to.
Yes you can program a third if you have 2 working keys. Here is the procedure.

Add Duplicate Key - Must have two programmed Sentry Keys
1. Insert one of the two valid keys into the ignition lock and turn to the ON (RUN) position.
2. After the key has been in the ON position for at least five seconds, but no more than 15 seconds turn the lock back to OFF.
3. Remove the key and insert the second valid key and turn to the ON position within 15 seconds. (The second key must not be the same as the first key.)
4. A theft alarm light should illuminate after ten seconds and a single chime sound will indicate entry into the Customer Programming Mode.
5. Turn the key to the OFF position within 60 seconds and remove the valid key.
6. Insert a new key and turn to the ON position.
7. After approximately ten seconds, a single chime will sound and the theft alarm light will stop. Wait five seconds and turn to the OFF position.
8. The above steps must be repeated for additional keys.

·
Registered
253 Posts
As far as best deal on keys, the cheap remote head keys everyone online sells for under $30 are aftermarket Chinese imports that have a bad reputation. Sometimes they work very well for a very long time. Sometimes they fail miserably after a couple of months if that long.

The original keys are not cheap. Wholesale at a dealer is about $150 and we buy them for about $120 from our distributors. They hold up very well and last as they should unless physically damaged.

We program a lot of these keys for our customers and offer both while explaining the differences. Our dealer and auction customers want the cheapest they can get. A lot of retail customers want the same thing and then complain 2 months later when their vehicle will not start at the grocery store because they chose the cheaper key even though they were warned. I have never seen an original fail that quickly without it being abused.

There is another option! You can still get a regular key with no remote built in. They are cheap and work fantastic no matter where they come from. The only drawback is they will not turn off the factory alarm on some vehicles when you unlock the door and the horn will sound until you put the key in the ignition and turn the vehicle on.

Personally I have all 3 for my Jeep. I have an original that I use daily. I have a spare cheap remote head key hanging in the shop just in case. I also have a non remote head key hidden on the Jeep so that I will still have a working key in case anything happens to the remote head key that I normally carry and I can still drive home.

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
spotco2 - I think I am going with one of your options. My local locksmith has a key, that does not have keyless entry, that he can cut and program for around $85. Don't really care that much about remotes, as this would be a backup key. dealer wants about $270 for an OEM key, which is absurd. However, I still have to go to the dealer to get the PIN and they will change me $25 for the privilege of giving me that. Appreciate the input and actual experiences as that has helped my decision.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Find another locksmith. That is a fair price for a standard non remote key but 90% of the programmers on the market will easily pull the PIN number before programming the key. Check with some of the used car lots in your area and just ask what locksmith they use.

On a side note, the dealer should provide you with the PIN for free with proof of ownership. It cost them nothing to look up on their computer. Check with other Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep dealers in your area (just call the parts Dept). They will require proof of ownership but that's not a big deal. If you purchased it from a dealer have your salesperson go back to parts with you and see if they can help you get the PIN.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Got my new key made at the local locksmith yesterday. Got just the chipped key (no buttons) and a spare for lock key. Programming and 2 keys was $110. Dealer wanted $265. Did have to go to dealer to get PIN and that was $25 on top of key cost at locksmith. Done with this issue.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2017 JKU and the tip of the key broke off this morning, making the key unusable. I have a secondary key that is getting me out of an immediate jam. I called my service advisor and was told it will be 305$ plus tax to get a new key and have it programmed. The key i have only has the lock/unlock plus panice button on the fob with a key coming out the end. Is there a reliabe choice for getting a replacement key. I checked with my local Ace hardware but they can not program past 2012 models at this time.

Suggestions???

·
Registered
253 Posts
I have a 2017 JKU and the tip of the key broke off this morning, making the key unusable. I have a secondary key that is getting me out of an immediate jam. I called my service advisor and was told it will be 305$ plus tax to get a new key and have it programmed. The key i have only has the lock/unlock plus panice button on the fob with a key coming out the end. Is there a reliabe choice for getting a replacement key. I checked with my local Ace hardware but they can not program past 2012 models at this time.

Suggestions???
Just get a replacement shell from your favorite local locksmith or order one from Ebay or Amazon. You can swap out your circuit board from your broken key and have the blade duplicated from the remaining good key that you have and you are set. A shell should be under $15 and hardware store or locksmith should be able to cut it for less than $5.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
The non fob key? Buy an Ilco blank. Olco is the OEM supplier to Chrysler and the standard Ilco key won't be logo'ed but is OEM quality. You can find them at a really reasonable cost too.

When you have 2 programmed keys, buy 3 or 4 more , get them cut and program them yourself.

I bought 5 from an online vendor that happened to be a bicycle shop for like $35. My local locksmith cut them for $10 and I now have 7 programmed keys for my Jeep.

I learned the expensive dealer lesson (lost the second key before i had extras) and never want to do that again.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts