Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dumb question, is the Sahara a softer or smoother ride than the Sport? I`m getting softer in my old age, apologies to you young guys!

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
Same shocks, springs, etc.

Unless you count the creature comforts that come with (or that can be optioned onto) a Sahara. Not sure what those are...leather seats, heated seats?

I wouldn't call any Wrangler "smooth."

·
Premium Member
7,920 Posts
Okay Okay understand it is relative but I have found a HUGE difference in the tires vs ride quality....and maybe it should have been obvious but....My TJ is 8 years old. My JK is a '12 almost a year old.

Put larger and wider tires on the TJ and it rides so much better, and honestly it has improved so much I would compare it to the JK...now if I did a similar upgrade on tires of the JK how much better would it get????

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
Okay Okay understand it is relative but I have found a HUGE difference in the tires vs ride quality....and maybe it should have been obvious but....My TJ is 8 years old. My JK is a '12 almost a year old.

Put larger and wider tires on the TJ and it rides so much better, and honestly it has improved so much I would compare it to the JK...now if I did a similar upgrade on tires of the JK how much better would it get????
Good call; the tires definitely make a difference. :thumb:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Newbie here, but from what I remember hearing, the Sahara has larger, 18" wheels (different than tires), thus making for a smoother road/highway drive, as the tires are lower profile, so to speak. Once you start driving a 35" tire with 15" rims, it's a crappy road ride, but better for offroad grip.

·
Premium Member
7,920 Posts
I went from 31" x 10.50" on 15" stock wheels to 33" x 12.50" on soft 8's with 26 lbs and 30 lbs. respectively Both all terrains One BFG other Duratracs...just sayin'

·
Registered
26,921 Posts
Same shocks, springs, etc.

Unless you count the creature comforts that come with (or that can be optioned onto) a Sahara. Not sure what those are...leather seats, heated seats?

I wouldn't call any Wrangler "smooth."
Smooth like peanut butter. :D

·
The Bad Guy
23,233 Posts
ImprovedSilence said:
Newbie here, but from what I remember hearing, the Sahara has larger, 18" wheels (different than tires), thus making for a smoother road/highway drive, as the tires are lower profile, so to speak. Once you start driving a 35" tire with 15" rims, it's a crappy road ride, but better for offroad grip.
I can't even decide where to begin on how wrong all of that is.

·
Registered
26,921 Posts
Don't bother. You know that 35s on 15" rims have all that extra sidewall so it makes for a harsh ride. LOL :whistling:

·
Registered
26,921 Posts
That's funny. :rofl:

·
Registered
2,637 Posts

Oh thank gawd... I thought I was the only one who was going cross eyed trying to read and re-read that to make sure it wasn't me.

Before I bought my Jeep, I had 225/40/18's on my Kia Soul... and I suffered through 35K miles of what felt like an infinite amount of pot holes. I'll NEVER make that low profile mistake again....

·
Registered
547 Posts
I bought new tires for my Sahara, and the difference was as clear as day. I think they are "Discoverer CTS" tires, I forget the manufacturer, I'll post tomorow. Ride quality all depends in the tires. However, no matter what tires you put on, don't expect to feel like your driving a Bently :p

·
Registered
552 Posts
My 12 Sahara rides a little rougher than my 07 Silverado did. But I wouldnt call it a rough ride. My lifted 79 Blazer with 35s...Now that one Id call rough.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Maybe the answer for the OP is to consider losing some of the "fun" factor in a Wrangler and getting into a Grand Cherokee for the comfort. If you equip it right the GC can still acquit itself pretty darn well offroad while treating you a lot more gently on the road. Of course you won't run that GC with no top and no doors.

For the record, we went the other way from a GC to a JK but it might be a viable option for some.

·
Registered
182 Posts
The 16" base model tires are actually pretty good at absorbing road cracks and little edge bumps. I swapped out those tires for some take-off 32" stock Jeep wheels & tires and I think the 16's ride a little better. It could be the sidewall stiffness or maybe the overwall wheel/tire weight. They are unattractive but they work well.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Two Sahara's with the same options may ride completely different just depending on what springs they ended up with in the spring lottery.​

That being said, your ride could be tuned with a few easy sping and shock modifications.

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
I don't know...I would guess that they would be similar with the Sahara having better highway and cornering manners due to the (possible) shock upgrade and the smaller sidewall. Better shocks with stiffer tires?

Something is different in the suspension since the Sport has a "normal duty" suspension, the Sahara has a "heavy duty" suspension, and the Rubi has a "performance" suspension that comes with bright red shocks.

·
Registered
820 Posts
OP - You asked a simple question and got a lot of BS answers... :nonono:

Simple stock Sport S has 17" wheels, the Sahara has 18" wheels. The tire height is close, if not the same for both. You have more sidewall with the 17" wheel on the Sport. All else being equal, the better ride will be with the Sport S. Your Welcome!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts