Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have 16x7.5 stock steel on my unlimited. I'm running 265/70r16 I'm considering the Rubi wheel combo.17x7.5 with 255/75r17
I will be running 33" tires or 305's. I'm also gonna be running a heavy mud tread ie: swampers etc. Should I spend 1600 on Rubi take offs with new bfgs or stay with steel? My plan is to eventually run Mickey T classic 2s in the best rim size option. But in the meantime, I want to buy the best tire option until I buy after market. Suggestions?

·
Registered
564 Posts
To tell you the truth, I'm getting rid of my stock 2010 Rubi 17's, and will be switching to 15's and a 33x12.5. You can buy my wheels/tires!!! But, if I were in your shoes, I'd stay with the smaller wheel. I'd guess that your 16x7.5 are not wide enough for 33x12.5's, but I could be wrong. A Quadratec chart lists 8.5" minimum for 33x12.5. Many on here are using 15"x8" wheels and the 33x12.5 Duratrac, and LOVE the combo. It's a lighter and less expensive option than my 17's, and I'm going to that combo.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ya the 12.50 are too much for 7.5 tims with factory offset. I'm looking to stay with 11.50 or 70 series. I really like the looks of a 10.50 width tire on a jeep, however they only run in the swampers ltb series and are a bit pricey.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I see you mentioned 15" wheels. They clear all the brake components and knuckle assemblies ok? That's also an option.

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
Huh?

Yes, a number of 15" ALLOY wheels clear the brake calipers. PM sponsoring vender Discount Tire and they'll send you some links to their websites for ones that are guaranteed to fit. Here's one (mine). From a cost perspective, there's no dispute that this is the way to go for bigger 33s.

As to tire width, there are many people who run 12.5" wide tires on the stock wheels. They need wheel spacers of course, but it can be done.

The 15" wheels I have (as linked above) and that you can get links to from Discount Tire are all either 8" wide or 10" wide (mostly 8") and have backspacing somewhere between 3.35" and 4".

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks. Sorry about the confusion. My buddies jeep has unimog axles with huge planetary knuckles that always have rim clearence issues. I had a brain fart and thought my jeep was his. So Nevermind the jibber jabber about knuckle clearence I mentioned. LOL

·
Registered
16,641 Posts
Thanks. Sorry about the confusion. My buddies jeep has unimog axles with huge planetary knuckles that always have rim clearence issues. I had a brain fart and thought my jeep was his. So Nevermind the jibber jabber about knuckle clearence I mentioned. LOL
Pic of said Jeep with unimog axles?

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Wheel size will depend on how bigh you want to get. Personally, I went with Mickey Thompson Signature Series (17x9) and was one of the first mods I did. I re used my Rubicon rubber and was very happy.

Now that being said, if I had gone with a 16 inch rim, I probably could have gotten the wheel/tire combo (35s) for the same price as just the tires on 17 inch rims.

I've read about people using 15 inch rims, and that would definitely save you in the long run. You'll need at least a 4.5 inch backspaced wheel and still may need to grind down your brake calipers. I've also read about small pebbles/rick getting stuck in the small space left between the caliper and the wheel causeing an annoying grinding sound.

So to best answer your question 16 inch rims would be the best safest way to go 15 inch rims would be the best cheapest way to go.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
I'm thinking 16's would be perfect for all tires under 37 inches. I'm running 18's & lookin into 16's. I like a bit more caliper clearance than the 15's offer.
PLUS I think the 295/75/16 is an awesome tire size. It's a half inch shorter & 1 inch narrower than a 35 inch tire w/o all the weight.
Just my .02

·
Registered
9,914 Posts
:whistling: Hankook Dynapro MTs--LT295/75x16 on Procomp Extreme Alloy 16x81/2 wheels/w 4.5" BS/w 1.5" Spidertrax adapters--PRIMO

I'm thinking 16's would be perfect for all tires under 37 inches. I'm running 18's & lookin into 16's. I like a bit more caliper clearance than the 15's offer.
PLUS I think the 295/75/16 is an awesome tire size. It's a half inch shorter & 1 inch narrower than a 35 inch tire w/o all the weight.
Just my .02

:dance::rofl: JIMBO

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
Just my .02
Screw all the math. 16's rock! :punk:

View attachment 91147

·
Registered
6,144 Posts
Another vote for 16 x 8 with 4.5" back spacing. That's what I went with. You will have a much wider selection of rims in a 16.

Get the 15 if you can find one you like that will fit.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Sorry to stir the pot........i live closer to the "hood" then i do to the "hills" so i'm going with 20" xd rockstars and 35" tires....sorry boys this blonde is doing it her way, i'm sure all the different rim sizes will all look great, that's what makes the world go round...not being all the same......:p

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
Sorry to stir the pot........i live closer to the "hood" then i do to the "hills" so i'm going with 20" xd rockstars and 35" tires....sorry boys this blonde is doing it her way, i'm sure all the different rim sizes will all look great, that's what makes the world go round...not being all the same......:p
Nothing wrong with 20" ferris-wheel rims if you see more graffiti than mud. :D

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Those 35's on 20 inch wheels are much safer & will perform better on road than the same tire on a smaller diameter rim. Large tires on small wheels do a lot of flexing or side rolling in the corners at speed. (Jeep Speeds) Jeeps are so light that most guys/gals run their tires relatively low. Which adds to the ill cornering/handeling issues.

My Jeep also sees way more pavement than dirt. As do most Jeeps that are packin a license plate. (except for Jimbox) Hmmmmmmm... You may be the smartest person on here!!

Doll it up any which way you want. After all , it's YOUR Jeep!!:punk:

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
Thanks man.

That's the gloss black version in your link. The powdercoated is 88510 (front) and 88605 (rear). Best price I could find was on Amazon, though they have their descriptions mixed up and call the powdercoated versions gloss black. If you use the mfr #'s above, you'll get the powdercoated version.

I love mine. Easiest install of anything I've put on my Jeep outside of grab handles. :D

The front comes with a winch-mounting plate, which fits over 4 countersunk, pre-threaded holes. And you don't have to move the vacuum pump to install on a '12.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts