Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
To start with

Get yourself a hood lock, hinge locks and wheel locks for starters. If you need more, go to your local audio store. They can hook you up.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I'm honestly not trying to be a douche, but the simplest and cheapest solution is to just not get in the habit of leaving stuff inside... There really isn't a way to completely protect your stuff, especially if you run with a soft top.

Locks and alarms only keep the honest people from taking your gear.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The case isn't about getting stuff stolen from the inside, I am concerned about losing my car...lol

·
..shall not be infringed!
4,666 Posts
Can auto thieves get around the SCREEM/Chipped Key security on the spot and drive off with a modern vehicle? Or, do they have to tow them and then somehow reprogram?

Seems like boosting cars is not an amateur's game anymore....

·
Registered
196 Posts
The case isn't about getting stuff stolen from the inside, I am concerned about losing my car...lol
I don't think there is a better system for anti-theft than what is already programmed into your vehicles key. The [email protected] that tried to steal my old 97 TJ figured out that it couldn't be started or put in gear without the key, and they ripped apart my entire dash trying to get it to start.

If you're just looking at an early warning device to alert you to the potential for someone doing bad things, then any of whats on the market is going to suffice. Someone here has a Viper system that will text you instead of being annoying to all your neighbors every time a bird craps on your hood, but that's really only going to be a theft deterrent, not a theft prevention, and short of padlocking your hood closed, you may as well not have anything at all.

·
Retired Moderator
100,513 Posts
The best security is to keep it in your garage at night, stay out of shopping malls and park it at work where you can keep a eye on it.
If you can't do any of these suggestions, then it will always be at risk of thieves braking in and or stealing it! The real professional's know how to get around the security systems!:eek:
Make sure that you install a lock on your spare tire.

·
Registered
666 Posts
State Farm! (or GIECO or Progressive or Farmers or USAA or your favorite)

·
Registered
184 Posts
You could pull the ignition fuse every time you leave the jeep but that presents new problems:

1) if you lose or break the fuse, you aren't going anywhere anytime soon

2) it won't stop a thief from towing your jeep.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Short of lack of physical access to the Jeep....like it being in your garage at home, or in a secure-access parking garage, your Jeep can always be towed away by a couple of thieves rather quickly.
A combo of a Ravelco and Lojack would be pretty good as long as you're not living close to the border....like several members who live in San Diego can attest to. It might get towed away, but at least the Lojack could let law enforcement locate it pretty quickly.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
the Viper, hood locks, gas cap lock, and my level 8 wheels have a unique nut on them seem like a good place to start. I have a steering wheel lock as well, which is like 8 years old and i'm not sure if those things are obsolete yet.

·
Premium Member
7,101 Posts
The best security system is a good insurance policy. Have as much of your aftermarket goodies insured under your policy and don't leave things that are not insured inside. If it gets stolen, big whoop, get an insurance check and go buy a new one. I don't try to "secure" my rig. I lock it, and thats it. If it gets stolen, no big deal. It's not like it's a fully restored 57 Bel Air or something. It can easily be replaced. In only secure my wheels with gorilla locks, but nothing past that.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'll give GEICO a call. The tires/wheels, shocks, and everything else that we added would be covered? I am sure most of us have receipts, and if not we can just go online to the retailer and get them off our accounts these days.

·
Premium Member
7,101 Posts
I'll give GEICO a call. The tires/wheels, shocks, and everything else that we added would be covered? I am sure most of us have receipts, and if not we can just go online to the retailer and get them off our accounts these days.
They didn't ask me for any reciepts. They asked me what I have and how much and thats it. Sound system, $1500, lighting, $2000, Bumpers, $1000, etc. Don't mention winch though. Rumor has it that if you mention winch to geico they assume it's a commercial vehicle and problems ensue.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I just told them about my tires/wheels, shocks, and trackbar. That's all I have, besides a leveling kit but I decided it is best to just not mention that. Total added that is covered is $3000 for just 18 more dollars, not bad at all!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts