Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Park it and buy a TDI VW!

It would take significant investment to get your rubi with 35s up to 20 mpg. It would cheaper to buy a more fuel efficient vehicle and use the rubi for fun.

Or just deal with mpg with a smile, it's a jeep thing!

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
Right now is one of the few times I wish I was still a mod so that I could do a little bit of "research"....

This can't be a real first post.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Right now is one of the few times I wish I was still a mod so that I could do a little bit of "research"....

This can't be a real first post.
Yea it's a real first post, no I'm not really as worried about the fuel mileage I was just curious if there was anything anyone recommended on it. I was only trying to make a post so I could post in the market place I am needing the electronic sway bar actuator, but it said I had to have so many post before I could post to it. So this was just trying to help me out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Park it and buy a TDI VW!

It would take significant investment to get your rubi with 35s up to 20 mpg. It would cheaper to buy a more fuel efficient vehicle and use the rubi for fun.

Or just deal with mpg with a smile, it's a jeep thing!
I've got an altima for mpg and my other is a Chevy 3500 so I'm not as concerned as it seemed I guess. I was just trying to get my posts up so I could post in the market place.

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
If you are serious about it gearing (4.88) and a Superchips performance tuner helps.

·
Registered
586 Posts
I have a 2007 Rubicon with 35s. What's my best option to increase fuel mileage?
You want to keep what you have and maximize fuel economy for when you're on the road, the only solution is driving habits:

1. don't tailgate while doing the gas-brake-gas-brake shenanigans and avoid driving way over the speed limit.
2. don't go balls to the wall on the skinny pedal racing to the next stop light or stop sign.
3. when you see you'll have to stop ahead, take your foot off the gas and start coasting down to the stop.

Just those three things will vastly improve your fuel economy without costing you a dime. Buying another car MIGHT work if you drive 20,000-25,000 miles per year because the fuel savings you want/need would have to cancel out the additional cost of a second car's cost, insurance, maintenance and repairs.

I cannot emphasize #1 enough as this is the prime reason behind people complaining about their vehicle not getting decent highway fuel economy; a friend's wife bitched about 23-24mpg HIGHWAY mpg on her 40mpg Hyundai Elantra but she's full-on gas or full-on braking the whole time and does 85mph all day long (with tickets to prove it).

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Flat tow it behind the 3500 with the engine on. MPG will go through the roof!

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Downhill in neutral also helps...
Downhill in gear is even better, because the computer can completely cut fuel in deceleration situations. In neutral, the engine needs to use fuel to keep itself running.

The best fuel efficiency mod I've done so far was installing a turbo :) After the turbo and a 2" lift, I get a couple MPG better than stock when driving "normally". Unfortunately, it's very hard to resist pushing the pedal down to make turbo noises a few times a day, so I actually end up with about the same fuel economy as stock on average.

I have to run premium fuel, so I actually end up spending more money on fuel than stock, but get a lot more enjoyment out of it. Long trips with lots of higway driving (~60 mph) are where fuel efficiency gains are best

·
Registered
224 Posts
I hear the Prius is the bee's knees.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Besides the driving techniques mentioned above there are very few economical options to get better MPGs in a Jeep. Lots of unsprung weight with 35's, the vehicle is shaped suspiciously like a barn, and the 2007 had the less efficient engine. I say just drive your other cars when if you're worried about MPG's, you can't beat physics or the rules of aerodynamics.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I keep thinking I'll get an accurate reading on MPGs, then I end up off-roading, or spending 3 days in 4wd because of all the snow, or sitting in the Jeep at our frozen beach idling for a couple hours (also known as the last stage of date night).

Then I realize, I bought a Jeep. It's probably best to just never think about mileage.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts