Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about getting a soft top for my wrangler unlimited. Does anyone have a recommendation? Looking at the Bestop Super top NX.

Thanks

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
Lotta threads out there on this.

There is no "best", but the two most popluar are the Bestop Trektop NX, and the factory top...usually a new-in-box one found on Craigslit.

As an FYI, Bestop makes the factory top. So the Supertop NX is basically the same as the Mopar/OEM factory top....I'm just not sure if it has spring assist like the 2013 4 door tops have. You can get the Supertop NX in twill...which is the same material as the factory premium top.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I am thinking about getting a soft top for my wrangler unlimited. Does anyone have a recommendation? Looking at the Bestop Super top NX.

Thanks
I just bought a new Supertop NX and it is very nice. Now I have a hardtop for winter, and a soft top for the rest of the time.

Smitty

·
Registered
344 Posts
I bought the trektop NX and it was not only sub par (seams leaking) it was a bikini top so it is difficult to remove the top completly (no frame for folding back)... I then bought what I thought was a premium top for a 2013, here it is a besttop supertop nx twill, I love it... Spring assist sun rider that goes beyond the sound bar, and fully folds down. The premium material is excellent and looks AWSOME! The only problem with best top is the front door surrounds, they made the channel too short so when it rains, water runs into the front floor pan when opening the door. I'm hoping they make new ones to fix it. The supertop works exactly like the 2012-2013 stock tops.

·
Registered
900 Posts
I have the super top nx for a 2010 jku love it. Easy to put up and down. Take it with you. No leaks. Sun rider is great. Opens up to back of rear seats.

The front surrounds do leak in when you open the door when it rains. about the same as my hard top

Also bestop has great customer service. I went to put on my top in march. While putting in the front bow the tab broke off my passenger side surround. I called and they replaced it no questions. it was over a year old also.
Got the new surround and broke it the same way. Called again. Sent another one right away and this time sent a new front bow. operator said that the new ones are shorter.
Got it in the mail went right on no problems.

Very happy with the top and the service

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
The best two soft tops you can get are a trektop nx or a supertop nx by bestop...they have all of the hardware. There are a couple of different fabric options, the black twill tends to be the best looking.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Super top by best top. I don't know if you can recommend companies or not but if you Google 4 x 4 store in Florida they had awesome customer service. Purchase a top from them and they informed of $100 rebate nice $570 price.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Just ordered the Bestop Supertop NX in twill. Will have it Tuesday. BTW Morris 4x4 has them on sale right now for 1130.

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
If you like the Bestop Supertop NX, look for a new-in-box factory take-off on Craigslist or in the forum classifieds (assuming you are in a location where a lot of tops are for sale). You might be able to save some money that way.

Support
Does Bestop manufacture the factory original (OEM) soft tops for Jeep® Wrangler and Wrangler Unlimited?
Yes. Bestop has been the factory original supplier to DaimlerChrysler for Jeep® soft tops since 1986. Bestop has also been the factory supplier of soft tops and accessories for Suzuki, Isuzu, GM, Toyota and many other small SUVs. Additionally, we've also been serving the Toyota truck market and Toyota accessories market for Land Cruiser for over 30 years. At Bestop, we proudly utilize the finest materials and adhere to the factory original specifications for fit, function, style and craftsmanship – so you know you’re getting the best there is.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Nice. Did you get black?

I'm wondering how kaki would look on an all white JKU?
Yeah I got black because I have billet silver. If I had all white I would definitely consider getting khaki. I will post a pic next week when I get it on. I set alerts on Craigslist and checked for 2 or 3 months and never saw a new or used one worth a damn for a decent price. I guess it's the luck of the draw.

·
Registered
100 Posts
We just bought a '14 JKUS, with a hard top. I have seen some of the tops running around that have the slanted rear and I prefer that look over the boxy OEM top. That is the trektop, correct? Is there any benefit of getting one top versus the other? Leaks? Quality?

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
We just bought a '14 JKUS, with a hard top. I have seen some of the tops running around that have the slanted rear and I prefer that look over the boxy OEM top. That is the trektop, correct? Is there any benefit of getting one top versus the other? Leaks? Quality?
Yes, the slanted rear is most likely the Trektop NX. (The non-NX version has sides/windows that do not zip out). There are a couple of other companies that make the "fast back" look, but most people just get the Trektop NX.

·
Registered
989 Posts
I have both the Trektop NX and now the OEM soft top I purchased off Craigslist.

I also prefer the fastback look to the standard box top. Other than the appearance, here are the notable differences between the two styles (applicable for Unlimited version only).

1. Opening the top. The sunrider feature of the Trektop basically allows it to fold back over the rear seats. So when open, the front seats are completely open but the rear seats remain covered. This really has never been a concern or issue for me.

2. Front and rear arch supports. The Trektop has arch bars over the driver seats, so when you open the top, unless you also remove the arch bar, you have a bar still over your head. This really has never been a concern or issue for me.

3. Thump and bump. When running the Trektop with the rear/side windows out and the doors off, I had a MAJOR clunking sound that really concerned me. It sounded and felt like it was coming from the underside of the chassis. I spent a good bit of time yanking on parts underneath to find what was loose. I was about to take it to the dealer when the lightbulb went off and I realized that it was only when I had the top open and doors off. I determined it was the sunrider frame banging. I bought some velcro straps and solved the problem. Just a heads up if you experience this.

4. Fully opening the Jeep. Like the OEM soft top, the Trektop requires you to remove the rear and side windows if you want to fully open up the rear cargo area. Because of the design, there are hard plastic supports built into the side windows (this is how this top works without a frame. Basically, the frame is integrated into the windows by way of this rigid plastic). This makes it almost impossible to roll the windows up in any way to store in the Jeep while you're out and about. Also, noting point 2, unless you physically remove the entire top, the rear seats are still covered bikini style. So what I've done is removed the rear and side windows and left them at the house when I go out. This makes weather watching VERY important. It also robs you of a lot of the flexibility inherent in a convertible. With the OEM style, you can roll up and protect the windows. Carry them with you, and fold the top entirely open. If a storm pops up, you have everything you need to put your top back up. This was THE reason that I purchased an OEM top after having used the trektop all summer. It becomes a big deal for out of town or long trips if you want the flexibility of having the top open.

Overall, both tops are great and I really love the fastback look but there is a trade-off.

I haven't had any leaks with either top.

Figured it was worth sharing since I have real experience with both tops.

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
I have both the Trektop NX and now the OEM soft top I purchased off Craigslist.

I also prefer the fastback look to the standard box top. Other than the appearance, here are the notable differences between the two styles (applicable for Unlimited version only).

1. Opening the top. The sunrider feature of the Trektop basically allows it to fold back over the rear seats. So when open, the front seats are completely open but the rear seats remain covered. This really has never been a concern or issue for me.

2. Front and rear arch supports. The Trektop has arch bars over the driver seats, so when you open the top, unless you also remove the arch bar, you have a bar still over your head. This really has never been a concern or issue for me.

3. Thump and bump. When running the Trektop with the rear/side windows out and the doors off, I had a MAJOR clunking sound that really concerned me. It sounded and felt like it was coming from the underside of the chassis. I spent a good bit of time yanking on parts underneath to find what was loose. I was about to take it to the dealer when the lightbulb went off and I realized that it was only when I had the top open and doors off. I determined it was the sunrider frame banging. I bought some velcro straps and solved the problem. Just a heads up if you experience this.

4. Fully opening the Jeep. Like the OEM soft top, the Trektop requires you to remove the rear and side windows if you want to fully open up the rear cargo area. Because of the design, there are hard plastic supports built into the side windows (this is how this top works without a frame. Basically, the frame is integrated into the windows by way of this rigid plastic). This makes it almost impossible to roll the windows up in any way to store in the Jeep while you're out and about. Also, noting point 2, unless you physically remove the entire top, the rear seats are still covered bikini style. So what I've done is removed the rear and side windows and left them at the house when I go out. This makes weather watching VERY important. It also robs you of a lot of the flexibility inherent in a convertible. With the OEM style, you can roll up and protect the windows. Carry them with you, and fold the top entirely open. If a storm pops up, you have everything you need to put your top back up. This was THE reason that I purchased an OEM top after having used the trektop all summer. It becomes a big deal for out of town or long trips if you want the flexibility of having the top open.

Overall, both tops are great and I really love the fastback look but there is a trade-off.

I haven't had any leaks with either top.

Figured it was worth sharing since I have real experience with both tops.
Great review!
Those (and the fact that you can't run a full SWS under the Trektop NX on a 4 door) are the exact reasons why I never took my Trektop NX out of the box...and swapped it for an OEM Premium top.

Both work with the Tuffy Trunk Enclosure

I think the Trektop looks cleaner and sleaker than the OEM/Supertop style, and can be had for not too much money if you know where to look and catch a sale.
BUT, being able to keep the windows with you, being able to run an SWS underneath the soft top, and having the Sunrider portion open up over the rear passangers (on a 4 door) was a huge bonus to me.

I've found that you can close (but not latch) the soft top with the SWS fully installed if you fold the latches back on the top. It will sit far enough forward to light rain out of the Jeep. This is how I park at work and at home, and is why I'm in Sunrider mode 99% of the time (unless it is raining).

1 - 20 of 30 Posts