Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some rust on the rockers and inside the tub on my YJ and need some advice on how to stop the rust and make it looks nicer. I don't want to spend a bunch of money cutting and patching it because it's my toy/daily when it's nice. I want to make it look nicer for cheap. Any ideas let me know. Thanks -Mike

Attachments

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
I won't exactly agree with not cutting and repairing but if you insist you can get as much of the rust off as possible and then spray on Por-15 and cover that with diamond plate. It appears as though you already did the back corners so def be the easiest

·
Registered
514 Posts
i use duraglass filler and fiberglass mesh its a bitch to sand but turns out nice then prime and paint

·
Registered
456 Posts
sell it.

·
Registered
81 Posts
If you don't want to do any cutting yourself, I bet a body shop could do it in about 15 minutes. Then POR 15 or I have also heard you can coat the exposed edges with silicone.

You can also get textured vinyl adhesive rocker panel guards for $27 on 4wd.com if you don't want to spring for metal ones. Part # TUS000061. They also have a matching rear sill guard -- another rust-prone spot. I don't know how durable these are, but my Jeep is already 27 years old -- not too worried about it.

·
Registered
577 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Don't use fiberglass mesh. POR-15 is going to be your best friend as mentioned above. I welded in diamond plate for half of the interior of my tub so don't be afraid to try things yourself either.

·
Registered
4,757 Posts
www.eastwood.com. rust encapsulator. Check out their website. Awesome products.

·
Registered
514 Posts
what im planning is clean it up encapsulate it use duraglass to patch it.. the get some 3/16 steel bent and bolt on a homemade rockslider up to the door that covers about all the common exterior rust

·
Registered
691 Posts
You don't have that much rust, don't waste money on patch panels. That can easily be patched with some sheet stock pretty cheap. If you don't have the tools, or the confidence to tackle it, any competent body shop can do that.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts