Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased my first Wrangler, a 2017 Sport S. For now I just want to change the factory Goodyear tires for something better in the way of an all terrain tire but stay with 255x75R17s.

I am considering Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac, Goodrich T/A K02, Yokohama Geolandar A/T G015, or Hankook Dynapro AT-M.

Any recommendations on the best one for combination on and off road driving?

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
I have the Duratracs in 255/70-17. They're good tires for on/off road and great in the snow. They ride well (c Rated), do great in the rain, but mine, got rather loud much sooner than I expected (About 20k).
yeep.jpg
I also have the Hankook Dynapro AT-M's on my 2014 Ram. They're great tires but not as aggressive looking. Have about 25k on them, still super quiet and great in all condtions:

·
Registered
434 Posts
I had Duratracs on my old TJ, and I currently have KO2s with about 1000 miles on my JKU (previous tires were KMs and KM2s). The DTs have weak sidewalls. I had them for about a year before I totaled my TJ. During that time I had to replace 2 of them - one sidewall was cut first time I took these tires to the offroad park, and one of them received enough sidewall damage on the road to expose the cords to the point I had to replace. The BFG tires are TOUGH - I was doing stuff with my load range C KMs that would have shreaded the sidewalls on most other tires I had previously, including the DTs. Also, I know one of the mechanics at the local jeep dealer and he hates all Goodyear tires because (as he told me) they are hardest tires to balance as a general brand. If I was never going to go offroading again, I would consider the DTs for their looks - they have one of the coolest AT tread designs. There are several threads on WF comparing DTs and KO2s. I don't think you will really go wrong with either tire; I've just had better experience with the BFGs vs the GYs.

·
Registered
531 Posts
love my K02s

·
Registered
5,294 Posts
You want tough,,, get yourself a set of Toyo RT's. You can't hurt those things.

·
Registered
898 Posts
I recently purchased my first Wrangler, a 2017 Sport S. For now I just want to change the factory Goodyear tires for something better in the way of an all terrain tire but stay with 255x75R17s.

I am considering Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac, Goodrich T/A K02, Yokohama Geolandar A/T G015, or Hankook Dynapro AT-M.

Any recommendations on the best one for combination on and off road driving?
I applaud your decision to remain at OEM size for your tires on the original wheels. If through experience and sound reasoning you later decide to go larger, you will be better able to make good choices then as well.

I did not see the BFG KO2s on the list of tires which you had under consideration. Was that an intentional omission? If not, then you may want to have a look at them and even see what others on the forum have to report regarding them (as has already been suggested).

I went 'down' from E rated Cooper ST Maxx in 275/75/18 on my Sahara to D rated BFG KO2s in 255/70/18 on my new Rubicon. I couldn't be happier with their off road performance, on road handling, low noise level on road, and even the 'looks'.

It could be worth your time to consider a set of them in 255/75/17 (if available i that size) or a size that is close to what you want. Despite what many may tout, an even narrower tire can be a good thing depending on the type of wheeling you plan to do.

Here are the KO2s on my Rubicon:

:iamhappy:

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
Some to look at:

GY Duratrac
BFG KO2
Nitto Terra Grappler G2
Nitto Ridge Grapler
Nitto Exo Grappler
Kanati Trail Hog
Hankook ATM
General Grabber AT

·
Registered
362 Posts
I ran duratracs on my tj for seven years and on my silverado for about the same.

They balance easy, wear great as long as they are rotated and are good in rain, snow and off road. Never had a issue with them in any way.

They do make some noise as they wear, but are nothing like a true MT noise wise.

When my tj was totaled I bought a 2012 jk and had 255 duratracs installed the first week.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It seems like most replies like either the Goodyear Duratrac or especially the Goodrich K02. Is there a reason people don't like the Yokohamas and/or Hankooks?

·
Registered
531 Posts
are you winter driving this? if so then you only have two to choose from KO2 or durotrac

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
The Hankook dynspro atm is snow rated also. Again, not a very aggressive looking tire, but I love them on my truck.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
It seems like most replies like either the Goodyear Duratrac or especially the Goodrich K02. Is there a reason people don't like the Yokohamas and/or Hankooks?
The Duratracs and KO2s have a more aggressive look which suits a jeep. This is one factor.

I have the Hankooks on my truck and like them.

·
Registered
6,604 Posts
KO's (and now KO2's) just have a great reputation for being one of the best all around tire for both on and off road use. I haven't had any experience with the Duratracs, but hear they are also a good tire. I'm about to change the tires on my JKUHR and am going to KO2's, likely in 275/70/17 so I can get the E range.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
After further review of the tires I'm considering and after reading a few of the threads in this forum about larger/heaver tires I have come up with another question. Apparently my stock Goodyear tires weigh 36 lb whereas the Goodrich T/A K02 tires in the same size are 46 lb. Is this extra 10 lb weight on each wheel going to cause problems with any of the steering or suspension components? I'm not so concerned with the changes in acceleration or braking.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Also, since different models come out with different brand and weight tires, do they also have heavier or lighter duty steering and suspension component?. If my jeep came out with light tires am I stuck with light tires always?

·
Registered
581 Posts
As mentioned the Duratrac and KO2 are both severe weather (snowflake) rated. That's why they were on the top of my list.

The heavier tire won't do any harm other than a possible gas mileage loss and and added wear on the spare tire carrier and tailgate. But I doubt +/-10 lbs will make a big difference on either.

But I did ultimately choose the Duratrac because it is the lighter tire at 40 lbs and was less expensive, by about $50/tire. I also think the Duratrac looks better than the KO2.

I had the old KO's on my TJ and liked them. I'm also happy with my choice of the Duratrac for my JKU. If I puncture sidewalls or don't get the mileage out of them that I expect I might try the KO2 next time.

Can't go wrong with either IMO.

·
Registered
287 Posts
After a lot of personal review reading I sense the KO2 is a great tire that wears out in 20K-30K miles. The Duratrac is a great tire that may start creating road noise in 20K-30K miles... But the tread can last until 50K-60K miles if rotated regularly. I bought the Duratrac last week.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I don't think you could go wrong with any of those choices.

Sent from my badass Galaxy S8 Plus

1 - 19 of 19 Posts