Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2003 TJ Wrangler Sport with 2 1/2" suspension lift. I'm looking at upgrading the steering components to some thing more heavy duty as well as some other bits and pieces. I have death wobbles and thought it be the best opportunity to upgrade all the parts and bushes that can cause DW. I want to know who makes the best products even if I have to source them from different companies. So I need best advise for:
Lowered pitman arm
Drag link
Tie rod
Top and bottom ball joint
Upper and lower control arms (adjustable)
Track bar (adjustable)
Steering damper (already have an adjustable heavy duty Tough Dog, so not too concerned about changing it)
Any advise we be greatly appreciated! :)

·
Registered
14,065 Posts
You do NOT need a dropped pitman arm.

Currie Currectlync steering
Currie adj track bar
Currie or Rokmen control arms

·
Knows a couple things...
49,624 Posts
X2 to everything nick50471 said. Especially on the warning against the dropped Pitman arm which is seldom used on a TJ. Using a dropped Pitman arm on a TJ will just cause bump steer except with very specific additional modifications like the addition of a matching dropped upper track bar mount. Just leave the dropped Pitman arm out of any plans.

The Currie Currectlync steering is undoubtedly the most universally respected steering kit available for the TJ. Same with Currie's track bar and Currie's Johnnie-Joint control arms.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
not sure how not replacing the pitman arm would benefit the setup. with the SL in place to my knowledge it puts the alignment of the draglink out of place slighty pulling it upwards. wouldnt it be a benefit to realign the the steering setup so not to over stress the draglink. also when i originally put the SL in i had to modify the steering damper so not to fowl on the draglink and tierod when turning left during flex. if the pitman arm was installed wouldnt that also eliminate that problem by dropping the setup back to original position?

·
Registered
8,951 Posts
there's only two steering upgrades worth considering....the V8 ZJ tie-rod, and the Currie steering system.

the Currie is good for the folks that hammer their steering in hardcore rocks. the Savvy/Currie steering is even better for those that find the Currie tie-rod lacking. the V8 ZJ steering is for everybody else.

I run the V8 ZJ steering with 33s. It's plenty for me right now, and replacement parts are easy to come by at any local auto parts store.

now, the factory Dana/Spicer ball joints and Timken wheel bearings are just fine for most folks, no need to change them.

as for the adjustable track bar thing - beware these all open a big can of worms regarding diff & tie-rod clearance issues. You'll need to read this entire thread to understand the problems people are having.... tj front adjustable track bars for 0-3.5", does yours hit or fit? - JeepForum.com for only 2.5" of lift, I'd say modify the stock track bar unless you want to do the bumpstop homework.

·
Premium Member
1,102 Posts
Take their advice on not dropping the pitman arm. I do not have one on my 03 with 3 inch SL. I bought a 97 that had a drop pitman arm. That thing was all over the road. I bought a stock pitman arm and put it on there. The handling was like night and day. You don't need the drop arm.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
by the sounds of it i think ill leave the pitman arm stock and go for the currie HD setup. cheers for all the tips guys, helpful stuff ;)

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
not sure how not replacing the pitman arm would benefit the setup. with the SL in place to my knowledge it puts the alignment of the draglink out of place slighty pulling it upwards. wouldnt it be a benefit to realign the the steering setup so not to over stress the draglink. also when i originally put the SL in i had to modify the steering damper so not to fowl on the draglink and tierod when turning left during flex. if the pitman arm was installed wouldnt that also eliminate that problem by dropping the setup back to original position?
You're thinking about something that doesn't matter and aren't considering what only matters. The relationship between the track bar and drag link mounts are what matters.

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
I run searchers steering on my lj and cj. I like it. I've seen a lot of rants about running hiems but its a steering set up that has not failed a single owner, which is pretty impressive.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts