Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am an everyday driver of a 2014 Jeep Wrangler. I want to get better tires than the ones that came standard. (After 20k miles, I was being told that I needed new tires every time I took it in for an oil change.) They have also been terrible on wet pavement.
I do take it off road from time to time in northern Michigan, so I would like a tire that works decent for both. I am also considering changing out rims. I don't have a lot of tire knowledge, so Any advice or suggestions?

Thanks a million everyone.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Jeepgirl,

There are many great tires out there, but from what you describe you would want an all terrain tire vs a mud terrain.

Some of the more popular all terrain (AT) tires are Nitto ridge grapplers, Nitto Terra grapplers, Toyo MT, BFG, etc.

You can find lots of info on the web about these tires, and on this forum.

Wheels are personal preference. I think the most popular are the 17 inch.

·
Premium Member
852 Posts
New Tires after 20,000 miles ?

Sorry , but I don't think you need new tires after only 20,000 miles . Will you consult a competent independent experienced Jeep mechanic for a second opinion ? Sounds like they are trying to sell you new tires . Was it a dealer who told you this ? Be very careful .:bop:

·
Registered
266 Posts
I have the open country R/T. They are great tires. Haven't been stuck in the mud yet but we don't get very thick mud in southern MA it worked out great in the snow and for tread as thick as it is there is hardly any noise on city streets or highway. They are self cleaning and all. I think it's a really good tire.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
179 Posts
Do you have a Sport, Sahara, or Rubicon? Not sure what your standard tires are now...

Check your local Craigslist for someone ditching their Rubicon wheels and tires, grab those for$800-$1k, you're getting new rims and tires already mounted and balanced with TPMS etc... Though I'm not sure how much of a step up the MTs will be for you, or what your budget is..

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
I don't have a lot of experience, and don't do too much off roading, but I just replaced my Cooper m&s with a set of Goodyear Wrangler Duratracks, P255/75/R17s and love them. No more road noise than I had and ride great down the highway with much better grip in the little mud I have introduced them to.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Michigan? Make sure the tire snowflake rated.

General Grabber AT2, BFG AT KO2, Falken Wildpeak AT3 are all "never miss" choices that won't break the bank.
Pick your favorite.

Reactions: FireJeepGirl

·
Registered
581 Posts
Goodyear Duratrac or BFG AT KO2.

Both are severe weather rated (snowflake), both perform well on and off road in most conditions, are reasonably priced and look good.

Reactions: FireJeepGirl

·
Registered
22 Posts
Sounds like your looking for a cross between an All-Terrain tire and a Mud-Terrain tire. There are plenty of them out there to choose from. I have Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac's. They're good on road in all conditions including snow. I have yet to really test them off-road but from what little I have done they performed great. There are a lot of reviews on the DuraTrac's and other people with way more knowledge/experience with tires say that they're pretty good tires. I wouldn't call them aggressive but they look great. I've only had them for a few thousand miles and they've worn even, and barely worn at all. These tires supposedly last a decent amount of miles. On the Goodyear website it says that the DuraTracs have a Tread Life Limited Warranty of 50,000 miles. I don't know how true this is, it's on their website so I assume it's genuine. They're not loud, and don't ride rough, very comfortable. I had Nitto Terra Grapplers before and they lasted about 65,000 miles which was awesome but I wanted something more aggressive with more off-road capability without losing on-road manners. I wholeheartedly stand behind my choice with the DuraTrac's and would 10/10 recommend them to someone looking for a cross between all-terrain and mud-terrain tire. You can find a lot of information on this tire and it's a popular tire. You can look up picture of the tires themselves and look up picture of them on other jeeps to see if you like the look. Depending on the size of the tire you want, and what size rim you have, the bigger rim you have and the bigger tire you want the more the price goes up, these tires can get pricey. I paid about $250 a tire for mine, a local shop gave me a deal where you get a card with $100 on it as a rebate and 6 months to pay it off. If I was to recommend a wheel size it would be a 17in wheel, I would look for a wheel with 4.5" of back spacing or less so that way if you ever decide to go to bigger tires you want have problems with the tires rubbing. Best of luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
61 Posts
I don't have a lot of experience, and don't do too much off roading, but I just replaced my Cooper m&s with a set of Goodyear Wrangler Duratracks, P255/75/R17s and love them. No more road noise than I had and ride great down the highway with much better grip in the little mud I have introduced them to.

Same here. I went Duratracs because they ride well, same size as stock, snow rated, and were only a few lbs heavier than stock. I love them.
IMG_2404.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
287 Posts
Another vote for the Duratracs. They replaced Toyo Open Counties that were quiet yet really hard on bumps and not particularly good in snow. Rave reviews about Duratracs in snow.

·
Registered
480 Posts
BFG KO2, Nitto Ridge Grapplers, or Toyo Open Country AT2. I think the toyos for the price are incredible tires and have a 50-65k warranty, but are a bit tamer than the others. The BFGs are amazing in everything except obviously deep deep mud. The Ridge Grapplers are newer, but are getting amazing reviews in a similar price point to to the BFG and are a little more aggressive.

Both stock tire options from the factory are fairly mediocre as on road tires. The BFG MTs from rubicons are obviously an improvement for off road use, but almost always wear funny, become loud, and aren't good in the rain. The Goodyear SRAs are probably the worst tire ever made in the history of tire manufacturing.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Duratracs are great in snow and look very cool. General Grabbers if you want something that cost a little less. Right now I am on a stock mud terrain and keeping it cause it looks good.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have actually had not only 1 jeep dealership, but 2 different ones as well as the oil change place. I am now at 34k miles and slide all over on wet pavement. I think it was just a bad set of tires maybe.

·
Premium Member
8,358 Posts
Do you have the base Sport with 16" steel wheels or do you have the Sport S with 17" 5 spoke alloy wheels.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Sure like my Hankook Dynapro ATMs(don't beat me) on my Frontier. If all the tires mentioned are still too much dough? Take a look! As good of reviews as all the big bux tires mentioned! Discount tire usually runs specials around holiday weekends..

·
Registered
241 Posts
The Cooper Discoverer AT3 in 255/75-17 are a pretty good tire to replace the factory ones and they are snow rated too. I had a set on a previous vehicle and they were great on the road and in snow.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts