Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

What tool to use to cut Jeep TJ Fender

• Jigsaw

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • Sawzall

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Angle Grinder

Votes: 9 47.4%
  • Air Nibbler

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • Bacon

Votes: 6 31.6%
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so by searching I've got: body saw, air nibbler, angle grinder, plasma (no way I can afford one with my other mods going on), jigsaw, and sawzall (don't see how clean this would be lol). Basically I'm looking for a tool that cuts the cleanest. Tell me which tool you used or what you think would be the best and why? Thanks forum!

·
Premium Member
7,920 Posts
Not listed and at the time it was a "have to thing"...I used a Dremel with a tiny little cut off wheel....IIRC it was about 3 wheels per side.
I cut the lower portion of the front of the fender "free hand". to "hide" a bent fender that had damage and bondo, before I painted them black...old Pic.

Attachments

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not listed and at the time it was a "have to thing"...I used a Dremel with a tiny little cut off wheel....IIRC it was about 3 wheels per side.
I cut the lower portion of the front of the fender "free hand". to "hide" a bent fender that had damage and bondo, before I painted them black...old Pic.
That's a neat little mod that I would probably have done if I didn't plan on cutting the whole thing off :thumb:
How long did it take the cutoff wheels to cut that small section?

·
Premium Member
7,920 Posts
That's a neat little mod that I would probably have done if I didn't plan on cutting the whole thing off :thumb:
How long did it take the cutoff wheels to cut that small section?
It wasn't really that bad.....I spent a Sat morning figuring out how I was going to hide the bent fender/ pulling it "straight" (by hand)/ filling it with bondo/ cutting each side/ and painting it. All told with trips to the store about 3 or 4 hours....probably 15-20 minutes per side. actual cutting.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It wasn't really that bad.....I spent a Sat morning figuring out how I was going to hide the bent fender/ pulling it "straight" (by hand)/ filling it with bondo/ cutting each side/ and painting it. All told with trips to the store about 3 or 4 hours....probably 15-20 minutes per side. actual cutting.
That's not too bad!

·
Premium Member
1,221 Posts
I used a drill bit everywhere my cut need to make a turn then I just used a sawzall to cut from drilled hole to hole. It worked great and was fast.

·
Registered
497 Posts
im using a cutoff wheel, my tubes should arrive tomorrow

·
Knows a couple things...
49,390 Posts
I've cut my fenders off on both of my TJs and had the best results with my jigsaw and a fine pitch metal blade. That was after using an angle grinder which worked but was a little harder to make straight cuts with. But then I didn't have to worry about an especially clean cut since the cuts were covered by the new fenders. I use my Dremel tool all the time but I wouldn't use it this much cutting.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've cut my fenders off on both of my TJs and had the best results with my jigsaw and a fine pitch metal blade. That was after using an angle grinder which worked but was a little harder to make straight cuts with. But then I didn't have to worry about an especially clean cut since the cuts were covered by the new fenders. I use my Dremel tool all the time but I wouldn't use it this much cutting.

Thanks for the advice Jerry! I swear I can't look up a mod on here or JF without seeing your name :dance:

·
Registered
688 Posts
I will be cutting mine today, I am good with a angle grinder / cut all my metal/ fabrication work with one, so I will be using one on my fenders as well. Gonna rig up some custom square tube fenders that go down to meet my rockers ( which are custom tube as well )

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
I used a 4 inch angle grinder with a cut off wheel for my fenders. I used a jig saw for my hood louver install.

I don't think the jig would have cut through the double weld seam on the top of the fender. It would be difficult for the down cut with a jig as well.

·
Detail Oriented
3,174 Posts
Bacon. Because bacon.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts