Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got the jeep and have a dumb question. Traded my 2011 CC ram for this and still have my quad and girlfriends quad to tow.. I see there's smittybilt bumpers with hitchs built in, but I don't know how that works. Is it built for extra strength or is it like having a hitch on a truck bumper which is extremely dumb.. so, do I buy a a hitch or a bumper with the setup?

·
Administrator
16,994 Posts
I have the smittybilt bumper with hitch in it.
The factory hitch uses 4 bolts into the rear cross member. The smittybilt bumper uses the same 4 bolts but also 2 bolts on each side that go into the frame.

My 2013 had the factory hitch, I feel the smittybilt is at a minimum the same, but probably stronger.

There are pics of it in my build thread (link in sig)

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have the smittybilt bumper with hitch in it.
The factory hitch uses 4 bolts into the rear cross member. The smittybilt bumper uses the same 4 bolts but also 2 bolts on each side that go into the frame.

My 2013 had the factory hitch, I feel the smittybilt is at a minimum the same, but probably stronger.

There are pics of it in my build thread (link in sig)
Awesome, that's exactly the answer I was looking for. Was hoping Ididn't sound like an idiot ha. Greatly appreciated man!

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Depends on how much you want to spend. You can get a hitch and trailer plug for $80 that will handle as much as a JK is rated to tow or you can get a bumper with a hitch built in for several hundred.

·
The Bad Guy
23,234 Posts
Actually you better check into that bumper a little more. Most bumpers with built in hitches are not rated for towing. You're netter off with a factory style receiver.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Ya those bumpers will do a 3000lb trailer

·
Registered
830 Posts
Actually you better check into that bumper a little more. Most bumpers with built in hitches are not rated for towing. You're netter off with a factory style receiver.
I would expect all of them to have a sticker with some rating or at least a warning with the max tongue and trailer weight.

·
Administrator
16,994 Posts
The receiver in the Smittybilt Rear Bumper is rated up to 5,000 lbs gross trailer weight and 500 lbs tongue weight which exceeds the JKU rating of 3500 lbs with 300 lbs tongue.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You're most welcome, good luck!
Just checked out your thread. Yeah me likey! Looks sick! And love that front bumper! My 3" BDS lift arrived yesterday, now shopping for wheels and tires! Schwabs quated me at $2,600 for 35s. My moms boyfriend works at one and he got it down to $2,000. That's four wheels, so I kight have to go without a spare ha!

·
Administrator
16,994 Posts
Just checked out your thread. Yeah me likey! Looks sick! And love that front bumper! My 3" BDS lift arrived yesterday, now shopping for wheels and tires! Schwabs quated me at $2,600 for 35s. My moms boyfriend works at one and he got it down to $2,000. That's four wheels, so I kight have to go without a spare ha!

Make sure you post some pics when it's all done!!!

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
I didn't think I could get one for around $80 lol I'm going to have to get one now for those times when I need to haul an atv
We just installed one for my buddy this weekend. He got the hitch and plug for $80. Super easy to install. Our new Oscar/Mike came with the same thing for $295 off the lot. I took a little razzing about that.

·
The Bad Guy
23,234 Posts
The receiver in the Smittybilt Rear Bumper is rated up to 5,000 lbs gross trailer weight and 500 lbs tongue weight which exceeds the JKU rating of 3500 lbs with 300 lbs tongue.
Smittybilt makes more than one bumper, while yours may indeed be rated for towing, most bumpers with built in hitches are not.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Smittybilt makes more than one bumper, while yours may indeed be rated for towing, most bumpers with built in hitches are not.
That's surprisingly true that's why I looked for one that was rated, even if its some made up number on my smittybilt I can hold them to it.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Posted my build! I have a tramp stamp coming, along with those steel handlebar Vgrip things. And a 3" antenna. Lemme know watcha think!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts