Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Currie TJJ front trackbar will be here Monday and im curious what the best way to widen the hole in both brackets to 1/2" would be without wallowing them out.

I considered a step bit (unibit) but that wouldnt work on the frame mount or the backside of the axle mount, suggestions?

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
A 1/2" drill bit?

·
Knows a couple things...
49,621 Posts
Yep, I would just use a good sharp fresh 1/2" bit and simply drill both holes carefully.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looks like I'll need to pick up some "normal" bits, I have these dewalt ones with a weird tip that makes this kind of thing a sloppy mess

Product Tool accessory

·
Knows a couple things...
49,621 Posts
Yep that kind of tip would not be a good choice for enlarging a hole in a piece of steel.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Like Jerry said... SHARP drill bit! Use a lower RPM and a cutting fluid if you can and let the drill bit do all the work, or you'll end up with a dull bit in a real hurry.

High RPM's can cause injury if the bit grabs the frame... The drill will try to maintain the same RPM's that the bit used to have, and you can end up with a variety of pains from trying to hang on!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts