Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up my 1st Jeep (05 Rubicon Unlimited). One of the first things I'd li like to do is lift it 2-3". This thing won't see any serious wheeling and will be more of a DD with some weekend exploring.

Whats my best option for a moderate lift without spending crazy money?

·
Registered
465 Posts
Best option will cost some money. If there's one thing I've learned from countless hours of researching lifts, you get what you pay for. Most will tell you that OME makes the best moderate lift, and that zone makes a good lift for the money.

·
Registered
2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
251 Posts
I've done some research on this and I will be doing a 2" BDS lift, that kit runs about $400.. And if you want to go to 3" you can always add a 1" body lift ... This to me is cheapest route with a good rep suspension.. My Lg doesn't see crazy wheeling, doing more for looks and the fact that my stock suspension is old..

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
I've done some research on this and I will be doing a 2" BDS lift, that kit runs about $400.. And if you want to go to 3" you can always add a 1" body lift ... This to me is cheapest route with a good rep suspension.. My Lg doesn't see crazy wheeling, doing more for looks and the fact that my stock suspension is old..
Good advice.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I used a BDS 2" spring kit.
Around $420 on web site w/shocks.
I saved a little money and bought the springs separately (for $230), and got Skyjacker shocks, during a buy 3 get 1 free sale. (I think ~$110) So $340 total. I also added a .75" spacer to front to level out a bit (~$35)

Thats all I did. Works well. When I get around to it. I'll add adj drag links to front and (esp) rear. One rear tire is "kicked" out a tad bit more on one side. I've got 285/75/16 on it with 4" BS wheels.

You could do this size tire with 4.5" BS, or maybe even 5" BS wheels, but would definitely need the adj rear track bar/relocation bracket, so that inside of tire won't hit the spring perch. (not a fan of relocation bracket tho)
All is fine with the 4" BS however.

One last thing, you'll probably get closer to 2.5" of lift with the BDS springs. I did, and my orig springs were NOT sagged. (only 38,000 on them) Sold them on Craigslist for $50 with orig shocks. So lift really only cost me $290.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I'm in the same boat here, and was really thinking about the zone combo so I could run 33s, which is very tempting. That much lift is just too much though, and I think the 2' BDS is a better option. But what's the biggest tire size i can run with that? I'm on 30s now so maybe I can go to 32? Do you need new track bars for a 2 inch lift?

·
Registered
19 Posts
...I think the 2' BDS is a better option. But what's the biggest tire size i can run with that? I'm on 30s now so maybe I can go to 32? Do you need new track bars for a 2 inch lift?
Really?
Please re-read my post above.

But I'll entertain.......
285/75/16 with 4" BS wheel will fit with stock track bars
With 4.5"-5" BS wheels, you WILL prob need adj tracks bars/or brackets to relocate on that size tire.

With Adj track bars and 4" BS wheels, I would imagine 305/70/16 tires will fit without rubbing spring perches.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Really "best" lift and "moderate money" shouldn't be used in the same sentence. Either you want the best, or you want a budget option, which are at completely different spectrums in the world of lifts.

·
Registered
519 Posts
when I bought my TJ it had a BB (I assume Rancho because the shocks are Rancho) and had 33x12.5 tires on it. They did not rub during daily driving but they did look pretty stuffed. Now that being said the jeep has 200000 miles on it and I am sure the springs are squatting. I switched it to 31x10.5 tires and I think it looks better.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Getting a 3" Zone lift with Fox shocks installed next week! Going to be running 35" 1250/17. I will post an update and let you know how it works out.

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
:rofl2:
Getting a 3" Zone lift with Fox shocks installed next week! Going to be running 35" 1250/17. I will post an update and let you know how it works out.
A world of difference between your JK and the op's tj.

While zone is a decent lift for the $'s, I suggest if you want a quality ride for your daily driver, OP, you take a look at OME.

You can do BDS (which is a sister company of Zone), or Zone, but the OME ride will be better.

Just noticed this thread is 4 months old....he's probably already done it....:rofl2:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Yeah, I should've been wearing my reading glasses last night. Totally missed that it is a TJ! Ugh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts