Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My vehicle only has 13k on it. Factory tired still very good. I feel it's wasteful to get 35's when current tires are so good. Plus I'm looking at $1900 for all 5 tires. BUT I love the look of 35's!!! Already have the suspension lift kit. So do you guys by all 5 at once? Buy a couple at a time over a course of a few months to offset price? Obviously you would have to have a place to store them until install. Does discount tires hold your tires for a couple of months? And what do you do with old tires that are still in good conditions?

·
Super Moderator
8,178 Posts
I bought all five. Commonly folks buy four then hunt a decent same size spare on Craigslist or the local Jeep club.

·
Premium Member
1,142 Posts
Sell the old, buy the new - you often get discounts for buying 4 at a time.

If you get big tires, you'll probably need different rims, too - maybe even gears for 35s depending on what you have now.

I replace all 5 at a time, personally

·
Registered
383 Posts
Sometimes I think I am a rarity. I buy all 5 at once, and I rotate all 5 tires. You get more miles out the tires, and it just makes sense. Why let a tire sit on the back and eventually dry rot when you could just get the miles out of it?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Sometimes I think I am a rarity. I buy all 5 at once, and I rotate all 5 tires. You get more miles out the tires, and it just makes sense. Why let a tire sit on the back and eventually dry rot when you could just get the miles out of it?
Same here. Bought 5 and rotate 5.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Yea, I buy all my tires at once. @txjeep15 check in with Discount Tire Direct and see when they have their next $100 off $400 sale. You can buy the tires in pairs, so essentially you are getting $200 off the total purchase.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
Sell the old, buy the new - you often get discounts for buying 4 at a time.

If you get big tires, you'll probably need different rims, too - maybe even gears for 35s depending on what you have now.

I replace all 5 at a time, personally
This!!

·
Registered
5,131 Posts
I buy 5 tires and rims every time. Before they are totally worn out I sell them as a package and order a new complete set of 5 tires and wheels.

If you sell them while there is some tread left you can still get $1500-1800 for them, depending on the tire wheel combo.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Spent $1900 on 5 new 35" Tires AND 16" Wheels from Allen Tire in SoCal, then sold my used OEM set for $800. Net cost for those who missed 1st grade, $1100 for the set of 5.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Sounds like you're making sure to make every penny count. Always a good thing. Also bear in mind that larger tires/wheels also put more stress on the suspension so expect quicker than expected wear and the need for purchasing beefier suspension components.

·
Registered
612 Posts
I bought all 5 originally and I am rotating all 5 through for even wear. When I am thinking that when I am ready for new tires I might just buy 4 more of the same tires and use the best of the used as my spare...Maybe...

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
You could do what I did when I replaced the stock SR-A's with Duratracs. Buy four at first, then buy the 5th before the first rotation (I do a 5 tire rotation). Of course, it sort of worked because I was basically keeping the same size tire. That wouldn't really work for 35's, and yeah you need new wheels for 35's. Sometimes people have found shops or have some access to tire mounting equipment and will stuff 35's on the stock wheels, but I have never found a mfr. that lists anything less than an 8" wheel as the minimum width for larger than a 305 (assuming 17" wheel, 16's yes) and the stock wheels are 7.5". My plan is to step up to break the cost up. 33's on the stock wheels, get new wheels, move the 33's to the new wheels, then once I've done the proper axle reinforcments and the 33's are worn, move up to 35's.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Keep an eye on local forums or Jeep clubs, guys are selling mildly used tires all the time. I bought a pair of 35" KM2's from a guy who was getting 40's. They had 5000 miles on 'em and I paid a fraction of the cost compared to new, came with wheels too. Just make sure you check the manufactured date so you're not running old rubber.

Also I agree with what a lot of people have already said, buy 5, do a 5 wheel rotation and they should last you quite a while.

Also a word of caution, make sure you have the proper backspacing in your wheels for whatever tires you end up getting, a lot of larger tires are 12.5" wide which can cause rubbing when turning. If you plan on keeping the stock wheels you might need to consider a set of spacers to accommodate the wider tires. Your lift will help clear the fenders but it won't save you from your own turn radius.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts