Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just like the topic says I'm going to buy a set of 17 inch stock jeep tires/rims from someone to replace my 16's. I want to paint them black. Best options on what everyone thinks for doing that would be great. Thanks

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Plasti dip

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Youtube search dipyourcar.com

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
After you plastidip are you able to use pressure washers on the rims or will it rip the coating off? Or go through a normal touchless car wash with out screwing it up?

·
Registered
471 Posts
you can buy plastic dip spray paint from home depot or many auto parts places.

clean the wheel, like you would at a car wash or with a bucket and sponge... let dry, then paint away...

you dont have to mask off anything... lots of light coats... let about 10 minutes between each coat, in good weather.

and repeat

they have lots of colors to choose from so you can go all pimped out with candy pink if you like.

I used black..

the paint will stick well.. holds up to a normal washing... maybe even power washing if you dont hold the nozzle too close?

but, you can touch up and recoat if you want in case you scratch it up at the trail...

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
you can buy plastic dip spray paint from home depot or many auto parts places. clean the wheel, like you would at a car wash or with a bucket and sponge... let dry, then paint away... you dont have to mask off anything... lots of light coats... let about 10 minutes between each coat, in good weather. and repeat they have lots of colors to choose from so you can go all pimped out with candy pink if you like. I used black.. the paint will stick well.. holds up to a normal washing... maybe even power washing if you dont hold the nozzle too close? but, you can touch up and recoat if you want in case you scratch it up at the trail...
Awesome thanks man and Ya hot pink sounds like a winner to me haha . No I think I'll stick with black. You don't know a larger more off-road tire that's still good on pavement for stock 17's do Ya?

·
Commercial Member
2,299 Posts
After you plastidip are you able to use pressure washers on the rims or will it rip the coating off? Or go through a normal touchless car wash with out screwing it up?
I've used pressure washers many times on mine with zero issues. Plastidipped my wheels a year ago.

Clean them really well. Make sure they're completely dry before beginning. First coat should be so light that it just "speckles" the wheel. After that, you can lay it on really thick each coat. I did about 6 coats on each wheel. Just let it dry between coats (about 10min). Doesn't run nearly as easy as paint.

Attachments

·
Registered
160 Posts
I used Rustoleum bedliner on my wheels. While this is a more permanent option, it has held up really well in the rocks, mud, street, and even while powerwashing.

It looks essentially the same as those who have plasti-dipped them except it has some texture to them. It is also flat black.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I used dupli color wheel paint from auto zone.
Light 220 grit sanding, dish soap and water, 1 light coat, 3 heavy coats.
Amazingly strong paint. Over a year now.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I did plasti too ... Worked great. Held up off road, power wash, winter crud ... Pretty much everything for 15k miles. I'm pleased.

I think it was about $25 dollars for all five wheels (5 coats?)

·
Registered
471 Posts
i used one can.... four wheels... no spare...

i am not sure how many coats... I just used light coats, then next wheel, and kept going around until all the wheels were black and I was out of paint...

I think I 'focused' on the lug nut holes, and again, just went light coats into the lug holes. and the overspray made it easier when I shot the rest of the wheel...

took me 10-15 minutes...

I didnt peel anything off the tire... never saw any 'peelies', nothing... I didnt aim at the tire nor did I try to avoid it... as I sprayed the tire side of the bead/rim

·
Registered
11 Posts
How much does it cost to do this? I wonder if anyone does it out here
Plasti runs a little over $5 per can at Home Depot or lowes. I originally bought 5 cans, but I'm pretty sure it only took almost 3 cans. I believe I put about 5 coats per wheel. First two coats were pretty light, then 3 heavy coats.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
All your guys jeeps and trucks look great thanks for all the info and encouraging stories of it being easy and looking good.

·
Registered
641 Posts
i originally plasti dipped mine black.. but since found a place to powdercoat all 5 for $150 total.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts