Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a house with an awesome garage. I have a lift, but it is not a two post lift. I have an air powered in-ground lift. Because of that, all of the mounting arms come off of one central post. So last night I lifted my Jeep for the first time. I am trying to figure out if the way I did it is the best way. I flipped the pads into the the upright locked position and lifted it by the leaf spring mounts. I got it up about 6" and tried to knock the Jeep off and it did not budge at all. So them I lifted it about 6ft and started pushing lightly, and it is still solid. I figure someone in this forum has used this style lift with their YJ in the past and could give me some pointers. With suck a short frame what is the best way to lift a YJ, and what safety mechanisms are in place with this style lift? I dont want my Jeep falling on me for any reason.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I usually put the lift on the frame. I'm always scared of putting it where you did. Also looks like your front suspension has more travel than the rear.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a winch in the front and 1/2" shackle lift up front so my front sags lower. I can stuff the tires front or back and it is level on the road. Oh and I did bend that front driver leaf spring. Need to straiten it.

Frame is not an option next to the skid plate. Did you notice the cross member too? Stops me from putting a pad there. Also, before I had that crossmember I put it on my buddies two post and it always felt like it was going to fall off.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Ahh, I see the cross me ever now. You might have a good spot the . I am just a little leery of the lift being on such little amount of metal.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yup. Don't want this to happen...

View attachment 271441
Damn that sucks man. I always was scared of that happening at my friends garage. The last few times I was there I actually used jackstands because of how bad it felt. That is one downside to a short wheelbase.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Damn that sucks man. I always was scared of that happening at my friends garage. The last few times I was there I actually used jackstands because of how bad it felt. That is one downside to a short wheelbase.
Short wheelbase and nose heavy. Just be careful removing heavy stuff. Axle housings, trans/tc, engine, oversized tire/wheel. Best bet is to invest in some 6' supports. Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
253 Posts
Luckly it wasn't mine. That TJ took it like a champ though...

·
Registered
124 Posts
Damn dude. Sweet garage. I'll be over... ;) :)

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Short wheelbase and nose heavy. Just be careful removing heavy stuff. Axle housings, trans/tc, engine, oversized tire/wheel. Best bet is to invest in some 6' supports. Just my 2 cents
I am considering buying some heavy duty ratchet straps like flatbed truckers use. I figure one up front and one in the back I can strap it to the arms of the lift before doing major work.

It goes higher then that first pic by the way.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts