Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to tackle this tomorrow and need to know the easiest way to remove these.
I have 2 that are completely stripped out on my old bumper.
Cussing them out did not seem to work, I need another suggestion.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Torch/ heat, Kroil or Pb blaster Might have to drill it out or if you have the means, weld z nut on and back it out???

Or can you grind some flats on the head of the bolt?

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Torch/ heat, Kroil or Pb blaster Might have to drill it out or if you have the means, weld z nut on and back it out??? Or can you grind some flats on the head of the bolt?
I have tried heat and pb blaster.
Don't have a welder anymore.
Do those stripped bolt removal kits work any good?

·
Registered
37 Posts
I've had great luck with the extractors. Soak in PB and let it sit, may be even a couple of days, soak every few hours or so. Get the extractor bit in there good and use a cheater bar or breaker bar. Go slow. If it still won't budge repeat the soak in PB and give it another go.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I had an impact wrench that had interchangeable bits that you hit with a hammer. What an awesome tool

·
Registered
158 Posts
I ended up cutting a horizontal line in the torx bolt (kind of like making a flat blade screw driver slot, but it goes all the way across). Then I soaked the bolt in pb blaster, stuck a large flat blade screwdriver in the slot at an incline and hit it with a hammer to get it moving.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I ended up cutting a horizontal line in the torx bolt (kind of like making a flat blade screw driver slot, but it goes all the way across). Then I soaked the bolt in pb blaster, stuck a large flat blade screwdriver in the slot at an incline and hit it with a hammer to get it moving.
x2!!!!

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am going to try this next.
Been working on it all morning

·
Registered
113 Posts
http://www.amazon.com/OTC-4608-Impa...&qid=1425498353&sr=1-8&keywords=impact+driver

I have a few of these but this otc model in 1/2" cost me under $30 and works awesome...
I know you dont have a welder anymore, but welding a bit to the bolt and popping on it while its hot works everytime, but cutting a slot like stated above and using a large flat blade bit will work well to...

I had a t50 { seatbelt bolt } stripped on a car I was restoring {grand national} and welding was not an option since we would have destroyed parts we were trying to sae with the heat, but this thing was stripped and in a tough spot, so I used JBweld, I cleaned it filled the it with jb weld and stuck an old t50 socket in there. I let it set up over night and then smashed the impact driver to loosen it, it worked like a charm.. Worse case I would have just drilled it, but that really sucks, I have also had good luck with these Williams TURBOSOCKET® Damaged Fastener | Snap-on Industrial Brands, I just dremel the head of the bolt to fit in one and then bang it on, use a breaker bar and they come right out {I have done this a lot of allen heads...

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Woo!
Thanks guys. I tried so many of your option and ended up using a chisel and mini sledge.
Came right out

·
Registered
29 Posts
I had one that was stripped on the roll bar I just filed 2 sides down and put a open end spanner on it and it came strait out :)

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I was able to use vice grips and elbow grease to get one out changing out a front bumper.
That probably would have worked if it wasn't 10 degrees outside.
All 4 of the top bolts came out just fine.
The two bottom ones pretty much stripped out right when I looked at them.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts