Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In your experience/opinion, what is the best wheel cleaner to remove brake dust? Need something that will get the job done on my front wheels that are covered in brake dust.

Read mixed reviews on Chemical Guys and saw Griot's recommended on one of the reviews I read.

·
Registered
10,169 Posts
For me, just car soap and a sponge.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Last year on my company car I sprayed them down with oven cleaner and it wiped right off. Not sure I would that on my jeep though, but I know it cleaned them up quick and easy.

·
Premium Member
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Last I cleaned it with just regular car wash soap, it did not get all of the residue off. Was looking for something maybe a little stronger that would work.

·
Premium Member
2,050 Posts
Once you get them clean, I’d like to recommend Armor All Outlast. It’s a spray on product that greatly reduces the adhesion of brake dust to the wheels and also makes cleaning much easier. Hotrod did an article on this product several years ago and I’ve been using it ever sense.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Once you get them clean, I’d like to recommend Armor All Outlast. It’s a spray on product that greatly reduces the adhesion of brake dust to the wheels and also makes cleaning much easier. Hotrod did an article on this product several years ago and I’ve been using it ever sense.
Totally agree, except I have been using Turtle Ice.

For cleaning, I had luck in the past with Simple Green.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I tend to stay away from the acidic cleaners and prefer the cleaners that are safe for all wheels like Meguiar’s Ultimate All Wheel Cleaner or their APC.
Or what others have mentioned a non acidic general all purpose cleaner.

All to do the job will require using a microfiber cloth, sponge and or wheel brush

If you clean them once’s a week a simple waterless wash product will work perfectly fine as well - ultima waterless wash or other similar products.

·
Super Moderator
7,624 Posts
I found https://simplegreen.com/products/pro-hd-cleaner-degreaser/ to be very effective, inexpensive and available in stores like Home Depot and Lowes.

It is not the green formula which can dull aluminum. The purple formula is safe for aluminum and other automotive surfaces as well. It is also very good for cleaning engines. It is all I use now.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
If the wheels are sealed, and most are, just regular soap and brush or sponge works for me.
This! I never saw the need for aggressive cleaner on sealed wheels. If sealed, the dust will wipe right off with a sponge, or even easier a dedicated soft wheel brush, and regular soap and water. If you’re wheels are scratched, and aggressive wheel cleaners are used, expect sealing to degrade fast, and the need for cleaners to continue.

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
Back in the day when cleaning my Z 28 Camaro was an all day Saturday routine, I used to clean my raised white letter Radial TA tires and the Cragar mags with Bleech White. Seemed to do a great job and I don't recall any etching of the metal on the mags.

The other day I wiped down the brake dust on my 2010 JK Jeep wheels and it wiped right off with a wet rag. I think if you don't let it sit on the wheels for weeks it will come off fairly easily. My wife has let hers build up for several years and I fear nothing short of a jack hammer will remove it. :-(

1 - 20 of 23 Posts