Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First post here on wrangler forum. I'm sure that this is one of the most asked questions. But what would you say is the best way to go when getting a wrangler? Any input you have would be grateful. I'm looking at once I'm done with automotive school, and officially in the workforce, and not having to worry about school full time. That I would like to get a Wrangler. I was thinking of getting my cdl this winter once I'm done with school. So however it all works out I'm thinking that the most I'd like to pay is $15k. Once again any input you have I will take. Thanks again for letting me be apart of an awesome forum.

·
Super Moderator
12,685 Posts
With that kind of entry money I think you might be in the TJU (LJ) Rubicon ballpark.
TJU = (LJ) - Long Jeep. Rubicon has the better axles.

TJU = (arguably) the best Jeep ever made.

There should be a good supply of rust free Wranglers in Idaho. If you're unsure, have it checked out by a professional.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
5,130 Posts
With that kind of entry money I think you might be in the TJU (LJ) Rubicon ballpark.
TJU = (LJ) - Long Jeep. Rubicon has the better axles.

TJU = (arguably) the best Jeep ever made.

There should be a good supply of rust free Wranglers in Idaho. If you're unsure, have it checked out by a professional.

Good Luck, L.M.

I like the looks of the LJ i wanted one when they came out. But as the years have gone by and exposed the problems jeep created i dont think it would be the best ever made. The later 4.0's had problems that the early HO's did not have. Like cracking heads and piston skirts. I owned a 1997 XJ that cracked a piston skirt and my cousin had a 1999ish WJ that cracked a head. The 4.0 was a great engine and Jeep ****ed it up by trying to lighten the rotating assembly to get better gas mileage and then made it even worse with the head problems. I do like the later style intake though but not to keen on the reliability of the post 97 4.0's i just don't trust them like i do the 91-96's i would take the Renix 4.0 over a 97-06.

I would not own a NSG370 transmission either far to many problems with that boat anchor.

·
Super Moderator
12,685 Posts
I like the looks of the LJ i wanted one when they came out. But as the years have gone by and exposed the problems jeep created i dont think it would be the best ever made. The later 4.0's had problems that the early HO's did not have. Like cracking heads and piston skirts. I owned a 1997 XJ that cracked a piston skirt and my cousin had a 1999ish WJ that cracked a head. The 4.0 was a great engine and Jeep ****ed it up by trying to lighten the rotating assembly to get better gas mileage and then made it even worse with the head problems. I do like the later style intake though but not to keen on the reliability of the post 97 4.0's i just don't trust them like i do the 91-96's i would take the Renix 4.0 over a 97-06.

I would not own a NSG370 transmission either far to many problems with that boat anchor.
Yeah, you have a point there about a couple mechanical issues. None of which are unsurmountable. With all the modifications we do to our Jeeps, I don't see any great problems with retrofitting an earlier 4.0 into a '97-'06 vehicle if the need arises.
I prefer a standard shift transmission to an auto anyway. I know some rock crawlers prefer an auto, but I like the ability to store a whole bunch of power in the flywheel and being able to tap into it by slipping (absolutely not dumping) the clutch. I don't have a boat so I don't need an anchor.

If I had a loose fifteen Grand, I'd strongly consider a LJ as my DD but I don't plan on ever letting go of my YJ.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I do like the LJs! I'll keep my eyes out for one of those. I'll look at the 91-96 wranglers with the 4.0 also. I'll do some more research on Jeeps. I getting excited about the Jeep World! I'll learn what all of the body styles names mean so that way I'm not being a twerp. Haha. Thanks for all of the great info guys!

·
Registered
577 Posts
With 15k I think you could find an early TJ with an LS swap and some upgraded axles. A guy I know just sold his CUCV Blazer with one ton axles, a LS, and king coilovers for 10K. I'd definitely shop around if I were you and don't be quick to pull the trigger.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts