Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All:

I have asked this question in other forums with no response.
I currently flat tow my CJ2A behind our motorhome, with no problems at all. Now we are looking at doing a minimum 6 month trip and as such am thinking that I would love to have something a touch newer than a 1946 vehicle behind me. Not to mention it would be easier to drive around cities and such.
Having said all this, with all your experience, what would be the best year, and optioned Wrangler to tow? I would be interested if standard would be better than Automatic, and what year may be lightest.

thanks so much

Attachments

·
Registered
739 Posts
I'd say a newer TJ, just because they're readily available to buy, not too expensive, can be towed (all can), and it seems like you want to avoid something older. TJ's run from '97-'06. Newer JK's still hold a pretty decent value so are more expensive. TJ will have a little less comfort options but still great

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Yes the 46 is a touch old for a longer trip, not to mention I don't have a complete top for it.
I have been looking at TJ's yes, and they look fine.
Does the TJ steering lock when there is no key in it?
Also, would one recommend an automatic or Manual.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I think 2013 is the first year that you didn't need the key in it to leave the steering unlocked.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh that sucks, I wonder how hard of a modification it would be to change the TJ, I would assume it couldn't be that difficult.
thanks for the info insylem

·
Registered
971 Posts
Automatic or standard it does not matter as the transmission is left in gear or park when flat towing. The transfer case is placed in neutral so the main transmission is not turning:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts