Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, my mom is thinking about getting a new car, and she wants to get 4dr jk. I've been looking around for her but i don't know too much about the jks as i am a tj owner. I have already ruled out the 3.8, so besides that, are there certain years that are better then others. Also, she wants power windows and locks, so would that be part of the power package i keep seeing? Also, i will keep posting more questions here when i can. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
2013-2018 are pretty much the same. Your best bet is just to look for one in the best condition with the options you want in that range.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Generally speaking, with any vehicle and any platform production run.... the last year of the platform is the best, because all the bugs are worked out.

There are exceptions, like the C3 Corvette ('69 - '82). The platform was refined throughout the run, but it spanned the increase of EPA affects on horsepower. The EPA ruined the later C3 corvettes in engine performance. In '74 you could still get a big block Corvette, but a 454 only made 270HP. In 1975 the Corvette made 165HP, until an optional L82 engine was added, but it only made 205HP... SO when it comes to C3 Corvettes, most people/collectors want the early versions, with the big block big HP....

Others may know of later production run change(s), that could narrow down the best of the last few years of the JK production run.... or maybe even later production run changes that would make a mid-production year JK model more desirable.....?

While I am new to Jeeps, I know of no issues later in the JK production run. I would think the best deal is on a lower mileage, competitively priced, with the options you want.. '15+ JK...

Then again, my Brother in law will drive nothing newer than a TJ.... Yeah, you'll have to ask him why, I don't get it....

·
Registered
290 Posts
Only thing I think is ruling out the 3.8L which you already have done. Other then that you are good to go. As far as people saying getting ones with OEM LED lights, if thats the only reason you would want a 2018 just buy some JW speakers, they take 5 minutes to install...

·
Registered
81 Posts
Everybody says that the longer something's been in production, the more bugs have been worked out of it. Maybe true, but the other side of that coin is the longer it's been in production, the more cost saves it's been subjected too.

I bought a 2016 cuz it was clean, low miles, and had the right options. "Certified" from a dealer so it has an extended powertrain warranty also.

·
Registered
493 Posts
By 2015 Jeep had found its groove building JK. 2017s and 2018s got the LED headlights, but the assembly quality on my 2018 is worse than that on my 2015. But I suppose worrying about assembly quality on a Wrangler is pointless.
Your 2015 was built on a boring Wednesday in October and your 2018 was built on the Tuesday after Memorial Day Weekend.

:drinks::drinks::drinks:

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
i like the unicorn year 2011 personally, but i might be a bit biased. :D

1 - 20 of 86 Posts