Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I'm looking to purchase this model replace-a-top.

According to https://www.quadratec.com/products/11132_25XX_PG.htm it fits an TJ (97-06).

But according to the Bestop page (https://www.bestop.com/products/1997-2002-sailcloth-replace-a-top-3) it only fits 97-2002.

Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/Bestop-79139-01-Sailcloth-Replace-1997-2002/dp/B000VLHCBI) also says its only 97-2002.

I have a 2005. Any idea if this model will fit or not? I would love to order the one from amazon as it can get here on Tuesday, the one from quadratec won't even ship until Jan-11.

Thanks!

·
Knows a couple things...
49,414 Posts
Call Bestop in the morning to confirm. To the best of my recollection the only difference is the opening between the plastic windshield trim pieces around the top latch slots on 2003 and newer is a little narrower than on 2002 and older that don't have the plastic trim.

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Agree only difference with slots in plastic and mental underneath for two top clips and narrow clips work fine in wider slots and if wide clips too wide a minute with a stemmed can narrow the clip

Other reason may be the what we call LJ is really officially still a TJ and they came out in 2004 so maybe saying won’t fit all newer TJ as some of them were unlimited and need longer top

Lastly in 03 they went from sound bar to sound pods so maybe their top has some difficulty with sound pods - although they make no difference with all OEM tops

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Vendor
5,686 Posts
Yeah - please give our customer service team a call tomorrow morning. They'll be in the office all day Monday (8am-5pm Mountain) and into mid-afternoon on New Year's Eve. You can reach them at 800-845-3567.

There are some odd-ish fitment issues around 2005 but the team should be able to help you navigate them and hopefully find you a solution. :)

- the Bestop Team
www.bestop.com

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did just get done talking to Bestop and they gave me the part number 79141-35. Which is too bad because it's $100 more without any rhyme or reason (give they are almost identical models), and doesn't come in denim.

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
If you have the windows to go with it, any year 1997-2006 fits. I've bought Bestop products for my 05' that were made for a 98' and a top from a 2004 for my 98'. I never had any problems or fitment issues. BESTOP picked a good name. :winner:

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
I did just get done talking to Bestop and they gave me the part number 79141-35. Which is too bad because it's $100 more without any rhyme or reason (give they are almost identical models), and doesn't come in denim.
Denim isn't an 05' option or color. Black diamond sailcloth is what you want. My old 98' used black denim. It's much lighter in color and almost gray. 05' factory Jeeps had a gray top too, with matching fender flares. I had one of those also.

·
Premium Member
8,346 Posts
The 79141-35 is what I installed on my '03 in 2014 (two months after buying it with a cheap aftermarket top). In the summer of 2018, in preparation for getting the Jeep painted (and a few modifications) I took the top off and the frame was getting in bad shape. The fabric was still in great shape, and earlier this year passed it on to another WF member. I went with the frameless Trektop NX and love it.

If you don't have the Sunrider feature on your current top (I didn't on my '03), then seriously consider the 56820 Trektop NX frameless top. It is another $100 over the 79141 but infinitely more useful (at least to me). On a nice day, it only takes a few minutes to unclip the front section and flip it back. You then have an open roof over the front seats (from the windshield to the speaker pods.

Remove the three rear windows and flip the top back and you are almost topless. You also don't have the top bunched up on the back of the Jeep. I was kidded last January about running around with the Sunrider open. Well, it was only 40 degrees and I have a good heater. If rain comes up (and you have the rear windows in) it only takes a minute to flip the Sunrider closed and latch it. The side clips over the doors don't have to be clipped in. At least I have never gotten any leaks from it. Unlike the frameless tops from budget priced competitors, the Bestop comes complete with new TG and header bars as well as new door surrounds (for the Sunrider feature).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts