Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to have to buy a new soft top. I'm sticking with the Bestop Supertop NX, well maybe. The Trektop looks cool too.

Has anyone have any experience with the Black Twill fabric? How does it compare to the black diamond sailcloth?

·
Registered
916 Posts
I just put a new Black Diamond sailcloth top on a couple of weeks ago.
I originally wanted a twill top.
Over a couple of years time, I looked at the twill tops at several off-road shows, and really liked the quality and rich black color that they are.
But after talking to someone about keeping them clean of off road dust, I changed my mind.
I really like the look of the twill. If I was a street driver only I would have saved the coin to get a twill top.
But I'm not a street only driver. So the bestop black diamond sailcloth top is what I got. I'm happy with it. It does have a couple of fitment issues, but overall it's fine. Cleans up pretty easily too.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,414 Posts
I have Sailcloth on my TJ, twill on my BMW. As said above, twill is harder to keep clean and it's also not a resistant to damage as Sailcloth is. Twill looks richer but I don't believe it belongs on a TJ.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I think you Sailcloth fan boys may have just saved me a wad of cash. Best price I can get the Trektop NX here for is £900 for Black Diamond and £1400 for Twill, both incl. delivery. I take mine into the mud a fair amount and if the twill is harder to clean, then I can tell my good lady to go spend some money on herself. :)

Regards

Mark

·
Knows a couple things...
49,414 Posts
I think you Sailcloth fan boys may have just saved me a wad of cash. Best price I can get the Trektop NX here for is £900 for Black Diamond and £1400 for Twill, both incl. delivery. I take mine into the mud a fair amount and if the twill is harder to clean, then I can tell my good lady to go spend some money on herself. :)

Regards

Mark
Twill would definitely be the wrong choice when mud is involved.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Twill might be harder to clean but it is still the better choice. If you want to run a softtop all year and live in colder climates Twill is the better option as its thicker and will keep more heat in and Twill will keep more road noise out.
Besttop actually just put out some new cleaners for their new Twill tops which work great but I havent had to clean mod off my new top yet.
Twill will have a longer life as well so more bang for your buck.

My Advice pay your kid $5 extra bucks to wash the jeep for you LOL

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Twill might be harder to clean but it is still the better choice. If you want to run a softtop all year and live in colder climates Twill is the better option as its thicker and will keep more heat in and Twill will keep more road noise out.
Besttop actually just put out some new cleaners for their new Twill tops which work great but I havent had to clean mod off my new top yet.

My Advice pay your kid $5 extra bucks to wash the jeep for you LOL
Hah. My kid is 5 months old. So I'm not sure that's going to happen anytime soon :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Put them in the baby seat to watch you so they learn at a young age and get to work LOL.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
I've found to clean these tops with dawn and a horse hair brush. Brought my 6 year old Trek NX Diamond top back to life. Finish it off with a high quality top protectant. I'd go with black diamond when it comes to mud (even the cinders that they break up to put on the mountain roads here when it gets snowy make a mess out of the Black Diamond tops). Still a pain to clean but if Twill is the material that has little hairs in it, I wouldn't want to get the mud out of that.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
My Twill top isn't to bad to clean mud off. I drive through mud almost daily (heck our work yard doubles as a half decent off road course, lol... ) I have never tired to clean a Sailcoth top so don't know if its easier, but no complaints so far on this on and I'm picky (other than other issues not related to cleaning!)

Now the cleaners and protectant for the Twill from Bestop I don't like. I use them and if it rains or I wash it for weeks it will make 'runs' down the side of the Jeep. Not sure how to prevent that :(

·
Registered
30 Posts
Its a Beemer what do you expect. Anything Jeep will hold up better LOL.

Cant Honetly compare the two as they are different brands so I just dont know.

My BMW's twill top is not holding up as well as my Jeep's Sailcloth top is.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Apparently they just came out with a New cleaner specifically for the twill Top around the same time as the New Glide top was released ( April 2017 ). I haven't tried it myself but heard it was good.

My Twill top isn't to bad to clean mud off. I drive through mud almost daily (heck our work yard doubles as a half decent off road course, lol... ) I have never tired to clean a Sailcoth top so don't know if its easier, but no complaints so far on this on and I'm picky (other than other issues not related to cleaning!)

Now the cleaners and protectant for the Twill from Bestop I don't like. I use them and if it rains or I wash it for weeks it will make 'runs' down the side of the Jeep. Not sure how to prevent that :(

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
I bought and installed my black Twill top 2 years ago. It does take more effort to clean mud off of it, but it is quieter than sailcloth when driving on the pavement. Mine was about $900 shipped from Quadratec.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Apparently they just came out with a New cleaner specifically for the twill Top around the same time as the New Glide top was released ( April 2017 ). I haven't tried it myself but heard it was good.
This is the new 'Twill' cleaner I am using/talking about...

·
Registered
4 Posts

I agree with the above quote!
I replaced the original sailcloth(?) soft top on my 2003 Wranglet TJ about 2-3 years ago for the following reasons,
The twill soft top has a LIFETIME limited warranty... whereas the sailcloth has just a 2-YEAR limited warranty.
The twill soft top has a RUBBER LAYER between the exterior twill and the interior cloth! The twill soft top is quieter and is warmer in winter. I live at about 8,500' high in the Rockies... The winters are loooong!

·
Registered
31 Posts

I agree with the above quote!
I replaced the original sailcloth(?) soft top on my 2003 Wranglet TJ about 2-3 years ago for the following reasons,
The twill soft top has a LIFETIME limited warranty... whereas the sailcloth has just a 2-YEAR limited warranty.
The twill soft top has a RUBBER LAYER between the exterior twill and the interior cloth! The twill soft top is quieter and is warmer in winter. I live at about 8,500' high in the Rockies... The winters are loooong!
Yep, yep and yep. Made sure that mine and my daughters JK's had the premium twill top when we bought. Triple layered, quieter, doesn't have the cheap look to it and I haven't had issues cleaning it though not much mud yet but bird crap can be a real bear too. It costs more because it is a better product and though I don't have experience on this thankfully I would think you would have to dish it some serious shit to damage it. Extremely tightly woven.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Yes, that is why I bought it too: the lifetime warranty, thicker and darker material, thicker windows, and YKK zippers. So even if its a tiny bit harder to clean (which I don't know for sure if it is,) these make up for it...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Ok,so what am I buying? ;)

BD - Easier to clean
Twill - Much better product
Twill - Quieter and better insulated

The price difference between the 2 here is almost as much as a new Black Diamond top in the US.

Mark

·
Registered
13 Posts
Ok,so what am I buying? ;) BD - Easier to clean Twill - Much better product Twill - Quieter and better insulated The price difference between the 2 here is almost as much as a new Black Diamond top in the US. Mark
I need to buy a soft top too!
Anyone know if the black diamond has the ability to fold back over just the front two seats? I know the sunrider has this option but it's also $500 more🙄

1 - 20 of 39 Posts