Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The key for the Bestop lock box can only be removed when locked. You need to unlock with the key every time you retrieve something. It is also impossible to open the door without using the key as a handle.

So, I bought a mailbox lock at Home Depot for about $5 and installed it on the Bestop box. Now the box can be left unlocked and more useable.

Then I found a plastic part with a self-adhesive backing. I pressed that into place and now I can lift the door without retrieving the key. The console lid fits over it very nicely.

Attachments

·
Registered
69 Posts
The key for the Bestop lock box can only be removed when locked. You need to unlock with the key every time you retrieve something. It is also impossible to open the door without using the key as a handle.

So, I bought a mailbox lock at Home Depot for about $5 and installed it on the Bestop box. Now the box can be left unlocked and more useable.

Then I found a plastic part with a self-adhesive backing. I pressed that into place and now I can lift the door without retrieving the key. The console lid fits over it very nicely.
Very cool. After using this for a month, what do you think so far? How hard was the lock swap?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did use the additional screws; but probably not necessary. The box fits perfectly and can't be lifted out easily.

The lock exchange was very easy. It took about 30 minutes.

I had the little handle in a box of miscellaneous stuff.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Ok, I will ask, if you don't intend to keep the box locked then why do you need the box at all?

·
Registered
302 Posts
I have the same box and it works well. I also know a bit about locks and that one you installed can be picked much quicker than the one that came with the box. In about 3 seconds with any other key that is about the same size. Good luck !

·
Registered
452 Posts
I guess ill be the moron that asks--
Im a noob anyway so its ok

If the center console locks why do you need that?

·
Registered
171 Posts
I guess ill be the moron that asks--
Im a noob anyway so its ok

If the center console locks why do you need that?
The stock armrest may lock, but it's all plastic. Doesn't take much leverage to bust it off.

·
Registered
452 Posts
thank you
luckily i dont keeping anything too valuable in the jeep

·
Registered
302 Posts
Rockriver: Hmm...My luck. Any suggestion for a different lock?
sorry no. The lock that came with the box is pretty good but unfortunately it does not suit your needs. Maybe find a round barrel type like on vending machines. You can pull the key back out on those I believe.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Rockyriver
Thanks for alerting me that my replacement lock is not very secure. I improved one issue and created another.
I will shop around for a better alternative and post.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts