Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

What do you think about the anticipated pricing?

• What I thought I’d pay, when can I buy them?!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • This is reasonable compared to the other options available and their features

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • More than I thought, might considering buying

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • Way too expensive, I won’t buy them

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
221 - 240 of 425 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
My uppers arrived today, and they are SPECTACULAR. I will say that they were a bit hard to close at first, probably because the seals are so new. But they are absolutely OEM quality, and now I *really* need to get a better paint job on the doors.
Tomorrow I will take the exact same pictures and see how they look.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Update to my core door install. I added the TJ style mirrors to these today. They look awesome. Per the bestop technician that told me on the TJ' style mirrors they did not get the holes quite right in that it possibly I might have to drill out one of the holes. That was the case here. I had to drill out one of the holes because it did not line up quite properly. Minor fitment issue.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
Rubiman, how does the lower part of your doors look, beneath the latch as compared to above the latch? Is it flush the whole way down?

·
Let the Jeepn Times Roll
2,049 Posts
Rubiman, how does the lower part of your doors look, beneath the latch as compared to above the latch? Is it flush the whole way down?
It is flush all the way down I've seen your posts about your issues even the piece of weather stripping that they put on there that yours is sideways. I have the weather stripping as well but it is straight on no sideways to it whatsoever. I guess I got a lucky set here.

·
Let the Jeepn Times Roll
2,049 Posts
Here's a pic of how my door sits on the inside bottom lip. everything looks pretty even all the way across except the one piece of factory plastic. it has its own lip sticking out a little more than the other the other piece but the passenger side does that too

·
Registered
343 Posts
I've been in contact with CS at Bestop. Two folks in fact. So far they have been very receptive to feedback.

They are putting out a tips and tricks document next week.
They are working out having the mirror mount adapter be a standard part or at least make it known you might need it when ordering.
They will fix the upper box packaging.
The uppers are OEM spec just with twill so there is no issue there (unless it is a QC issue with one or some.)
They are taking feedback back to engineers.

As for my door, they have pictures and will get back to me.

Pleased with communication thus far.

·
Let the Jeepn Times Roll
2,049 Posts
I've been in contact with CS at Bestop. Two folks in fact. So far they have been very receptive to feedback.

They are putting out a tips and tricks document next week.
They are working out having the mirror mount adapter be a standard part or at least make it known you might need it when ordering.
They will fix the upper box packaging.
The uppers are OEM spec just with twill so there is no issue there (unless it is a QC issue with one or some.)
They are taking feedback back to engineers.

As for my door, they have pictures and will get back to me.

Pleased with communication thus far.
Well that's definitely a plus. I've had great experiences with bestop. So far no real issues. As long as you're the original purchaser things will be taken care of. At least that's how it's worked for me. Good luck on your ordeal though. My uppers are delayed. Hope I get them soon.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Well, after reading through this thread, I'm thinking I'm gonna order the factory 1/2 doors.
It sucks, 'cause I really like the way the core doors look, but I'm planning on using them year round, and if they're all gonna leak, I'm not digging that.
Sorry you're having those issues USMCmike, but thanks for the honest review.
Glad I waited.
That said, I had trouble with Trektop NX window fitment, and Cassie did get it remedied for me, although I did have to pay, as I don't keep receipts for years, they were discounted. I should have complained right away.
I'm sure they will work with you to fix the issue.
Good luck with them, and again, thanks for the review!

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Thanks for all good info posted here. Really appreciate it.

One thing to say.

The factory doors are not structural members of the Jeep. The Jeep does not flex or twist an additional amount when the doors aren't installed. They will not fit differently when you put them back on. If they do, you seriously screwed something up and your Jeep is probably totalled.

Bestop should be able to make a perfect fit, for every Jeep, every time. Especially at this price.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Thanks for all good info posted here. Really appreciate it.

One thing to say.

The factory doors are not structural members of the Jeep. The Jeep does not flex or twist an additional amount when the doors aren't installed. They will not fit differently when you put them back on. If they do, you seriously screwed something up and your Jeep is probably totalled.

Bestop should be able to make a perfect fit, for every Jeep, every time. Especially at this price.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Roger that!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Been testing the core doors extensively lately and the more I use them the more I like them.
I read some of the posts about the "issues" but I find them to be minor at best.
For those with fitting issues... The fit is 100% once you remove the thick aftermarket step protectors if you have any and adjust the hinges/locks as you should be doing on any new door. I spoke with Tom from Bestop (product designer) and went through all the fitting and adjustments over the phone and The doors fit very well.

Now back to real life... the doors are super fun and I love love love them. They can take a beating too being made out of thick aluminum. I can't remember enjoying a new product as much as I enjoy these and all my trail partners loved them.

The openings are very helpful seeing the near ground without poking my head out the window and the flat surface of the top of the door is very comfy.
They don't move or rattle and not having any problems when the body flexes over big obstacles.

Two thumbs up and I highly recommend them not for looks but rather for functionality and quality.

Reactions: Bestop

·
Let the Jeepn Times Roll
2,049 Posts
I agree with the above post. When I got mine I had some trouble closing the door and I thought I'll take off these genuine Mopar door sill protectors and once those were removed it was no problem at all.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I agree with the above post. When I got mine I had some trouble closing the door and I thought I'll take off these genuine Mopar door sill protectors and once those were removed it was no problem at all.

I will however want my door step guards and they fit well with the OEM doors so that means the Core doors are fatter on the bottom... I recommended Bestop to make the bottom the same as the OEM so that they clear aftermarket guards.
No big deal for me as it is super easy the pull the rubber sealer from the door bottom, grind the aluminum about a 1/4" and press the sealer back on.
A 5 minute job...
and hey.. it's a Jeep!!! if you are not into massaging aftermarket parts to fit you're in trouble already :censored:

Reactions: USMCmike

·
Registered
640 Posts
I will say that the packaging is kinda dubious...

Yay, Mopar Licensed!

One of the upper's legs poking through the box...

But, they included new "sleeves" for the lowers, and some zipper lube, I got that going for me, which is nice.

Seals are absolutely perfect.

This is how the seals look from the inside.
Driver's side:

Passenger side:

I can't believe how amazing these look and fit. I really hope they get the lowers sorted out, because the uppers are perfect.
They look really good and fit just like my factory uppers. So it is definitely in the doors for USMCMike

·
Registered
343 Posts
Did you get the lowers only or lowers and uppers?

Been testing the core doors extensively lately and the more I use them the more I like them.
I read some of the posts about the "issues" but I find them to be minor at best.
For those with fitting issues... The fit is 100% once you remove the thick aftermarket step protectors if you have any and adjust the hinges/locks as you should be doing on any new door. I spoke with Tom from Bestop (product designer) and went through all the fitting and adjustments over the phone and The doors fit very well.

Now back to real life... the doors are super fun and I love love love them. They can take a beating too being made out of thick aluminum. I can't remember enjoying a new product as much as I enjoy these and all my trail partners loved them.

The openings are very helpful seeing the near ground without poking my head out the window and the flat surface of the top of the door is very comfy.
They don't move or rattle and not having any problems when the body flexes over big obstacles.

Two thumbs up and I highly recommend them not for looks but rather for functionality and quality.

·
Registered
55 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Well after spending about 2 hours taking apart the doors (Front Driver and Passenger) and looking at the hinges, the door gaps, the latches etc, I finally came to realize; either my front driver lower is borked, or my upper is. There is ZERO adjustment to correct my issue. The door itself is almost perfectly sitting in the well (side to side and up and down) but still seems torqued outwards at lower bottom. The latch can't pull it in, and the only thing the hinges could do is lift the door and tilt it forward - which makes it scrape the front of the frame (it is that tight.) No matter what I did, no adjustment fixed the seal on the upper.

So I improvised.

(Added black duct tape to that)

Fits up top almost perfect now. (Still sticks out more than the other three.) There is also a bit more of an air gap on the bottom edge, but at least it seats well enough and there should be no leak (or very minor now.)

I did also remove the hard door-well protectors and it didn't solve the fit problem, but it did make the closing a tad easier. In all cases much harder than the stock doors. There seems to be zero tolerance in the lower design. A mistake by Bestop - when they have them manufactured in China. Quality is not reliable. (Even the T10 screws holding on the plastic inside cover are lousy with three of them almost stripped due to either too much paint or just poor machined insets.

I'm done tinkering - they are what they are.

EDIT: Also, the front passenger side upper door half middle pin is warped outwards slightly. You need to put some serious PSI against the outside of the frame below the window as you insert the two pins. A little filing down on the lower edge of the round pin should fix it, but it does make me think they have an issue with the plastic molding holding it's intended shape when considering 4 uppers that all fit slightly different in the lowers.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Well after spending about 2 hours taking apart the doors (Front Driver and Passenger) and looking at the hinges, the door gaps, the latches etc, I finally came to realize....
Did you try to loosen the hinges and align the door up a little? That may fix your gap on the upper top.

So you have removed the doorstep guard and still the lower low frame comes in touch with the frame? If so maybe grind the door area that is too wide under the rubber seal as I suggested in my earlier post.

That plastic pin on the upper is designed for the OEM half's I think... maybe it is not even needed on the Core door set. I'd ask Bestop if OK to cut it off completely..

·
Registered
343 Posts
I loosened the hinges and moved it all up and wiggled it. All it did then was hit at the front top section of the door well. Tilting it was even worse.

I may take the door to the grinding wheel. But first I want to see if Bestop will send a new upper - and then if that's not it, a lower. (Or just a new set). But if I'm stuck with the door, I'll grind it. It will at least un-pinch that very tight portion at the very front of the lower door-well.

You can see here how tight it is - squishing the gasket.

And in this picture, you can see (looking at the front driver's side top front corner) how little room there is for adjustment. The door really needs to go up and that corner be tilted downward. Clearly neither can happen (Had scratching the moment I tried either).

Did you try to loosen the hinges and align the door up a little? That may fix your gap on the upper top.

So you have removed the doorstep guard and still the lower low frame comes in touch with the frame? If so maybe grind the door area that is too wide under the rubber seal as I suggested in my earlier post.

That plastic pin on the upper is designed for the OEM half's I think... maybe it is not even needed on the Core door set. I'd ask Bestop if OK to cut it off completely..

·
Registered
55 Posts
If you loosen the hinges and lock and shut the door can you bring it to a satisfactory position by pushing it into place?
I'm asking this because that is my way of aligning doors. I loosen everything and push them to place and while they are in position I tighten the hinges and set the lock position last.

I know you spent a lot of time and energy over it and there is probably an issue but I still ask... you know.. just in case (-;

Reactions: USMCmike
221 - 240 of 425 Posts