Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok...I am confused. I am looking at a top on Ebay thats brand new and is being sold by an Authorized dealer. The ad says its got the basic lifetime limited warranty and then I asked Bestop if a problem happens with a top I purchased from an authorized dealer new from ebay they said that the warranty is void. I am like HUH? So I asked the dealer about the warranty and he says it comes with the fully backed warranty from Bestop. I am confused now. I then reached back out to Bestop on the Facebook page and they came back and again said if purchased on ebay - regardless authorized or not - its warranty is void.

This is the link to what I want to buy - I want to buy it from ebay now because paypal has a 12 month no interest if purchased on ebay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/133122034983

Can someone please help me understand what the heck is going on and why is it if I purchase it new from the authorized dealers website or Bestops website its covered but not if its purchased on ebay from the same company who has a website and its covered if its purchased there. This is very confusing to me as to why.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Seems like your inquiry is best directed to Bestop.

I pretty much assume that any branded product sold on eBay is either counterfeit or gray market, meaning a genuine product sold outside the authorized distribution chain and therefore probably will not be supported if there’s a warranty issue.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I see...but its says

This is a brand new Bestop - Supertop® ULTRA. We are an Authorized Dealer of Bestop and carry the full line of products."

hmmmm...

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
Many vendors do not warrant their products sold on eBay or amazon. J. W. Speaker is another one that comes to mind right off the bat. If Bestop says no then it’s no. Just to many knock offs would be my guess.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all for your responses. I guess its a purchase that will only be done on Bestop website then.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Bestop answered your question. Your personal plans/motives and feelings about the answer they provided you with aren't going to change a thing.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Did Bestop actually say that this ebay store IS an authorized dealer?

When I was purchasing my new Bestop soft top, another member told me not to buy a line item like that from Amazon as I was originally planning. I took that advice and ordered from Extreme Terrain instead and was extremely happy. And when there happened to be an issue with the top, both XT and Bestop were fantastic to deal with in making it right.

The PayPal deal may seem tempting, but it's an expensive risk for something that has to fit just right. Good luck!

·
Registered
6,711 Posts

When I was purchasing my new Bestop soft top, another member told me not to buy a line item like that from Amazon as I was originally planning. I took that advice and ordered from Extreme Terrain instead and was extremely happy. And when there happened to be an issue with the top, both XT and Bestop were fantastic to deal with in making it right.

The PayPal deal may seem tempting, but it's an expensive risk for something that has to fit just right. Good luck!
AZ Offroad and Performance is in fact listed on the bestop website as an official seller.

·
Premium Member
2,103 Posts
Another possibility for manufacturers not honoring warranties though eBay purchases is price point protection. Some manufacturers stipulate you must sell a product at a set price, otherwise they may drop you as a seller.

·
Registered
2015 JKU Willys Wrangler
244 Posts
My operating principle is that unless the seller on eBay, or Amazon for that matter, is actually the company that produces/retails the product, it's probably a Chinesium fake.

·
Registered
6,711 Posts
My operating principle is that unless the seller on eBay, or Amazon for that matter, is actually the company that produces/retails the product, it's probably a Chinesium fake.

The top in question is not fake and the store selling the top on ebay is in fact an authorized vendor and retail store located in Phoenix AZ.

67928890_661373011028381_8433024386896648514_n.jpg
Untitled-1.jpg

·
Registered
2015 JKU Willys Wrangler
244 Posts
The top in question is not fake and the store selling the top on ebay is in fact an authorized vendor and retail store located in Phoenix AZ.
That doesn't make anything I said irrelevant or incorrect. I stated that anything sold on those web sites not directly from the company are probably fake, not always fake.

I'm glad the top is legit.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

I sent them the link so they should have seen from the link its one of their authorized dealers.

Here is the conversation with Bestop.

Attachments

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Couldn't you just call AZO&P and buy it directly from them and avoid ebays policy. https://azoffroadperformance.com/
Yes, I could easily do that. BUT - the point of this whole conversation is PayPal is offering a 12 month interest free offer if purchased on Ebay. I can easily use Affirm but that s with interstate's. I could also use PayPal but the offer if purchased off of AZoffroad or off of Bestop website is only 6 months no interest. And one other thing off topic that I was going to ask is Bestop now has a free install going on till the end of the year. I was like WOW. Maybe if I could purchase this from an authorized dealer on ebay and get 12 months interstate's free and possible a free install - wouldn't that be wonderful. But once Bestop said no warranty = I was like well there is no discussion now about the free install.

Thats the whole point - I was hoping to save myself a little bit of headache but in the end it has become more of a headache now than it should have been.

I am now looking into other options. Not sure what I am going to do but I am researching now.

Thanks and happy trailing.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

View attachment 4180803
View attachment 4180805
Then Bestop should in fact honor its warranty since its an authorized dealer but they are not - in my opinion. I mean it takes a lot to become an authorized dealer. Also the authorized dealer is helping to sell their product which is a benefit to the company. Thats the whole point of having an authorized seller. I mean why would a manufacture ask a company to sell their product but then to say anyone who buys it will not get a warranty if sold on XYZ site and no where is that stated. What if I did buy it and had a problem? Who would honor it? AZ may come back and we are sorry but you are SOL. Ebay is just a website and I am not buying it via an auction - I am buying it via "Buy It Now" with no quivering on the price. Just because its sold on XYZ website shouldnt matter. But it does to Bestop for some strange reason that I still don't understand. But that's their unwritten policy.Also nowhere on Bestop site does it say if purchased on ebay your warranty is voided. I don't see that anywhere.

I have purchased things on Ebay thru Adorama and B&H photography and other manufactures as long as they are authorized dealers the warranty is fully honored.

So that why it doesn't make any sense to me. I am not buying it used, and I am buying it from an true authorized dealer.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
I haven't researched it but have you looked to confirm that the people on EBay using the name is indeed the same company as the brick and mortar retailer. I couldn't join ebay and name my store quadratec if quadratec doesn't already have a store.
When I bought my Bestop Supertop Amazon at the time was selling them for about 400.00 less then anyone else. I went to my local 4WP store and they beat the price.
At the time the seller on Amazon had a user name "bestop" but hey said it wasn't them.

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
That doesn't make anything I said irrelevant or incorrect. I stated that anything sold on those web sites not directly from the company are probably fake, not always fake.

I'm glad the top is legit.
Shallow mind

Reactions: DrLove38
1 - 20 of 34 Posts